• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear brake.

Chris Wilson

Staff member
What, if anything can be done to improve the biting power of the rear risk brake on a CARC rear end.
I am using HH pads but it seems to me that the rear foot lever is too short and even on a mild down hill park I have to stand on the lever in order to stop the bike rolling.
Annoying and the front brake gets used below walking pace where it shouldn't be used.
Chris.

Sounds like a problem with the rear brake master cylinder. The rear wheel should lock or the ABS kick in with not much more than a firm press.

The rear brake on my 1200 Sport was over sensitive and would lock up very easily when solo. Changed out pads to an after market set and now have much better feel.

You have something binding and/or air in your brake line and/or a weak master cylinder piston. They should feel rock solid and work with minimal effort.

I habitually see corroded guide pins. Invariably, if the pins are corroded, then the pistons are too. Both can be easily cleaned and renewed with some brake cleaner and a quadruple 0000 steel wool pad. Be sure to blow all of the metal dust off of the pistons and caliper and use a brake grease to lubricate the pins. I use silicon spray lubricant on the pistons and wipe off the excess with a clean rag.

NOTE: These are not Moto Guzzi calipers but the condition of the guide pins and pistons are what we are looking at.

4E4C0A5F 86A7 4BCD 88BB B5134FA77A9F 38A57BDA 0CDA 4FD9 A3F2 B539BAB2691D 3B2C6209 300F 4086 8647 B2BD4A9FE4D7

C99C34B1 3BFE 41A5 A108 2379A2E5AE9D

BC43BD7D 75C1 481F BB5E E664D874C845

D8B1A46B 1E0A 40A4 907F 17B1D7C2770B

Last edited:
An afternoon is well spent looking at brakes, cleaning pistons and the sliding pins. As Scott shows with his pictures, even the cleanest calipers can have parts that need light cleaning.

Thanks for the replies
guys, something is not right as it is worst than a drum brake on a Honda 90.
Bought the bike second hand after is was stored for about 4 years in a garage.
No signs of rust or corrosion elsewhere but the pins and pistons indeed would be worthy of a look see.
Cheers, Chris.

Does anyone have a picture with the correct position for the spring in the rear caliper?

CARC rear caliper 1

Take a picture of your caliper and your spring and post it. You will get a reply. Pictures make everything easier if they are quality pictures.

I took my rear caliper off. The spring is meant to sit in the centre I guess, but it looks like a bit is missing.... I do not know where that might have gone. Possibly corroded away as I ride through the winter on gritted and salted roads.
P7143912

P7143913

The spring in your picture looks different. Is that a different version or for a completely different bike?

Yes, different bike. Just for illustration.

The spring lifts the pad away from the caliper and provides a very smooth, low resistance surface for the pad backing plate to slide upon, it helps to provide a better pad alignment to glide along the retaining pin(s) and of course, to quell vibration noise.

Yours, being broken in several places, no longer functions. You need to order new ones. When they are in you hand, it will become obvious how they fit in.

I have just googled for the parts.
gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=caliper+spring&f=d&Model=2&search=SEARCH
The kit contains 2 springs. the brass looking one is nowhere in my caliper. Where does that one go?

The brass looking spring goes to the front of the caliper ( the brake pads fit into it).
You can see it in your photo looks like a small lug between "the toothbrushes"

E302CE41 DA7B 4D15 A02A EFC9D0D38A65

Left side, silver area. Look carefully and you see the tab gripping the knuckle.

You need to THINK about what it does.

It provides a smooth low friction surface for the pad to slide on. The pads are supported and travel along these 3 places. (2 spring plates and 1 guide pin)

On the right , the slide pin runs through the hole in the pad backing plate.

In the middle, the spring plate that you still have the broken piece.

On the left, the tabs on the sides of the pad backing plates, slide in that groove and on top of the smooth, low friction, spring clip which resides over that knuckle.

This is the best I can give you. Hopefully you finally get it now.

Last edited:
Eventually I got a nice new shiney spring. The rear wheel suddenly runs wonderfully smooth, i.e. no scraping of the pads on the disc.

For UK owners - this part seems on a back order with a few weeks wait, but BMW use / sell exactly the same part for some of their bikes with 1-day orders and it is cheaper than Moto Guzzi's. The BMW PN is: 34217671876.

Back