• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear Break Locked up

Just happened to my 2013 Touring, with 30,000km up. Riding in Scotland, single track road, low speeds, no cornering scrapes. Noticed the bike struggling, came to a stop with rear brake dragging. Brief smoke cloud and accompanying smell of hot brake pads. Gave the rear brake pedal a jab and it released. Inspection showed nothing unusual. No road contact, no misaligned parts. Has worked normally today, as if nothing happened. Operation of the brake seems smooth and easy, with no sticking etc.

Stephen

Just happened to my 2013 Touring, with 30,000km up. Riding in Scotland, single track road, low speeds, no cornering scrapes. Noticed the bike struggling, came to a stop with rear brake dragging. Brief smoke cloud and accompanying smell of hot brake pads. Gave the rear brake pedal a jab and it released. Inspection showed nothing unusual. No road contact, no misaligned parts. Has worked normally today, as if nothing happened. Operation of the brake seems smooth and easy, with no sticking etc.

Stephen
Allow me to share a story...
Several days ago I was installing Todd's version of the exhaust crossover as my MG stocker sip the bit at about 15000 miles.
Once it was on and bolted down, I began replacing the decorative chrome heat shields, I managed to drop one of the small 6mm screws. I looked all over for that screw, it was no where to be found. I had heard it hit the front foot board, but after several minutes of searching...nothing.
I didnt give it another thought until the next morning when i went out to ride. When I pushed the rear brake, the pedal didn't return to the usual starting point, it stayed down. I tapped it and no change. Then I stomped on it and out fell the missing screw, from under the footboard.
Further inspection showed a "pocket" near where the pedal pivot is located. It is, more-or-less open to the elements. The curious thing is that the harder the pedal is pushed, the bigger the opening in the bottom of this "pocket" gets...thus releasing the missing screw.
It is conceivable that a small piece of gravel etc. could lodge in this pocket and create the exact symptoms you describe.
I noticed it on the driveway while backing out of the garage. But if I had been on the road, I probably would not have noticed.
Kirk

Further inspection showed a "pocket" near where the pedal pivot is located. It is, more-or-less open to the elements. The curious thing is that the harder the pedal is pushed, the bigger the opening in the bottom of this "pocket" gets...thus releasing the missing screw.
It is conceivable that a small piece of gravel etc. could lodge in this pocket and create the exact symptoms you describe.
I noticed it on the driveway while backing out of the garage. But if I had been on the road, I probably would not have noticed.
Kirk

Kirk,

Thank you for writing this observation. Another place to check on the pre-ride inspection.

On my Breva 1100, I have had the rear brake lock up 3 times now, each time its been caused by small stone chips that get in the mechanism, when you operate the brake it drops down a bit lower and holds the brake on, the harder you press the stone drops further and the harder the brake locks. The disc went blue and the pads glazed. I stupidly touched it and ended up with a blister on thumb and forefinger. I have now made a "screen" in an effort to stop stones etc. lodging in there.
Kev

Thanks for the input. I think a stone chip is the likely problem, and the road surface at the time supplied suitable loose material.
Stephen

FYI, when the cops tested this bike in Michigan:

"The Moto Guzzi California 1400 developed an issue due to lean angle contact with the rear brake pedal mount (rightside). This caused the rear brake to stick. Moto Guzzi engineers adjusted the mount. After the second test rider,
engineers also adjusted the riding “mode” from Turismo (touring) to Veloce (sport). The motorcycle completed the dynamics test without further incident."
Not sure if this is the same problem but last week took an Eldo out for a test ride. It had done 23 km. Stopped at traffic lights then couldn’t get away, brakes had locked solidly on. After 5 minutes of traffic honking the brakes released themselves and all went back to normal. At a total loss about what could cause this. Not something to contemplate at autoroute speeds. Desperately trying to convince myself to buy another Guzzi but in 40 years of evolution they appear as ‘characterful’ as ever. This a common problem. Help appreciated.

This happens to me intermittently also. I am convinced it is the master cylinder. I have to jam the rear brake really hard to get it to loosen. If the rear drags it heats the caliper and expands the brake fluid . It releases when the fluid cools enough. AF1 has a rear caliper for about $180 of which I intend to purchase.

Today while riding I felt the rear brake dragging. I pulled off the highway and the rear brake pedal depressed fully..no rear brake...I pulled over. Looked for leaks...Rode home only using front brake..By the time I got home, the caliper had cooled and the rear brake functioned again...I am going to replace the master cylinder.

Back