• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear hub drive plate rusting - is this normal?

tjwood

Just got it firing!
Hi. Today I removed the rear wheel on my 2022 V7 Special for the very first time. It was really difficult to pull the wheel off the bevel drive hub. Once the wheel was off, I was surprised to see that the bore in the bevel drive where the dust seal and righthand wheel spacer sits (just inboard of the dogs that engage with the rubber buffers in the wheel when the wheel is fitted) was extremely rusty. It wasn’t just surface rust that you could merely wipe off with a cloth, it was really hard ‘crusty’ rust that could only just be chipped off and scraped off with a screwdriver. The bore is (or was) just bright shiny steel that has no grease on it. Should there be grease on that metal area to prevent rusting as water must get in there very easily? It just doesn’t seem right that bare steel should be unprotected as it will just get rustier and rustier as time goes on and may eventually prevent the wheel from being removed at all. I’ve got various greases ranging from general purpose high temp grease to black moly grease, red rubber grease and very sticky blue outboard motor grease. I’m sure that one of those would prevent further rusting but I don’t want to affect the rubber blocks in the wheel hub. Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks.
Regards
Tony

Hello,

Well spotted and good catch. The UK seems to be the most hostile environment I have ever seen with regard to motorcycles. It just beats the hell out of stuff much worse than anywhere else I have observed.

So, I would with your finger, apply a very thin layer of the grease of your choice, (I prefer marine grease as it is resistant to water and the road salts they put down in the winter) to any metal piece that you want to prevent rust from forming on. Be careful not to get too much anywhere. Very light is all you need.

Also, I haven’t done a rear wheel on a V7 but I’m sure there are splines behind the cush drive, the assembly that holds the rubber isolastic pieces, that the wheel slips onto during mounting to the motorcycle. Again, use your finger and put a small amount of grease all over the splines and especially in between the splines on both the motorcycle side and the wheel side. This will eliminate difficulty in removing the wheel at a later date. Again, I recommend a marine grease due to the exposure to water and salts. I have used silicone spray on the rubber cush drive pieces to clean and protect them. The silicone will not attack the rubber.

I would be sure to apply a thin layer of grease to the inside of the wheel spacer tube #8, and also a very light layer on the axle itself, #1, inside of the spacer #19, and also the hole in the mounting bracket between 19 and 21. You can use a cotton swab for that if necessary. That way, the axle never seizes or rusts in place.

Keep all gease petroleum products from the rubber isolastic cush drive pieces as it can deteriorate rubber based products.

Hope this helps.

IMG 0523

Last edited:
Hi Scott. Many thanks for your reply and very helpful advice. I’ve used some Evinrude Outboard Motor Grease, which is nice and sticky (and hopefully good protection against the dreaded road salt.)
Thanks again
Regards
Tony

As soon as I read blue marine grease, I said to myself "I wonder if it's Evinrude grease?" I've had a tube of it for 40 years or so. I use it wherever water is involved including my 1965 6 HP Evinrude Fisherman outboard motor.

Back