• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

rear main seal -- do I replace it?

KnowFear

Cruisin' Guzzisti
1983 LeMans III with @ 19,000 miles: The engine & transmission are apart to install deep-spline clutch. Do I replace the non-leaking main seals while everything is apart?

If "yes", then how do I remove the engine's rear main seal?

KnowFear said:
1983 LeMans III with @ 19,000 miles: The engine & transmission are apart to install deep-spline clutch. Do I replace the non-leaking main seals while everything is apart?

If "yes", then how do I remove the engine's rear main seal?

I'd recommend replacement just because of the age of the seal, and the labor involved to get there. Also all the seals and o-rings for the transmission. The way I get the seal out, is to very carefully drill two holes 180 degrees apart. Be sure to stay away from the crank and bearing housing. Screw in sheet metal screws, and pull out on the screws to get the seal. If you don't have the seal driver for the rear main, be sure to only drive the seal flush with the rear bearing housing. It can go too deep causing you another problem. If you are uncomfortable doing this, I suggest you take the engine and transmission to a reliable shop that has done this type of work before. Do you have the tools to get the clutch centered, and the hub gear as well?

I use a little stop collar with a set screw on the drill bit to prevent it from banging into the bearing when the bit breaks through the seal. Then I use a blind hole bearing puller (same as dent puller) with a brass tip that holds a screw.

I used to dimple the seal on a line through the center then pull it out with a hook at a 90 degree point. But that didn't always go so smoothly and sometimes took too much time.

KnowFear said:
Would it be bad to use a seal puller like this http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56750-Seal- ... B0002SRCKG
and simply lever against the end of the crankshaft?

Yes, you will probably scratch the crankshaft then a new seal will ever work again. You will also need a tool for the gland nut on the transmission shaft and something to hold the hub gear. To get the transmission seal, I use an old cotter pin pulling tool. If you touch the transmission shaft, it won't matter as the new seal will ride on the new hub gear. Don't forget to use new o-rings there too. Use a quality cotter pin puller http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/se ... 16162508:s as a cheap one will probably fail (break) and give you a completely new set of problems. Also one of these for the gland nut on the transmission is good too. http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=657

john zibell said:
KnowFear said:
Would it be bad to use a seal puller like this http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56750-Seal- ... B0002SRCKG

Yes, you will probably scratch the crankshaft then a new seal will ever work again.

What I meant is that the tool would rest on the end of the crank with the hook pointed towards the outer diameter of the seal. The hook would not be anywhere near the sealing surface on the crankshaft.

KnowFear said:
john zibell said:
KnowFear said:

Yes, you will probably scratch the crankshaft then a new seal will ever work again.

What I meant is that the tool would rest on the end of the crank with the hook pointed towards the outer diameter of the seal. The hook would not be anywhere near the sealing surface on the crankshaft.

How do you plan to get the hook through the seal? I wouldn't use it. I will only use that type of tool when the cover is removed and the shaft isn't anywhere near it. It is your bike, if you choose to damage the crank, go for it.

Damage is certain, so even if you didn't care about the crank it won't work because the crank projects out too far past the face of the seal; you won't have a good purchase for the Lisle seal puller.

That cotter pin puller looks good. Do you pull straight out? I've used a smaller 90 degree pick but couldn't get a strong enough grip on it to keep it from coming out of my hand.

Rafael said:
That cotter pin puller looks good. Do you pull straight out? I've used a smaller 90 degree pick but couldn't get a strong enough grip on it to keep it from coming out of my hand.

Both pull and lever, but It won't work for the rear main. I only use it for the transmission/gearbox input and output seals if transmission disassembly is not required for the job.

thanks John, Boy, I can't remember how I got those out before. If I drilled or not, or if they came out easier because they are smaller. Anyway, do you drill to get the cotter pin puller in or get it past the lip?

Thanks - all good points. I will use the drill-two-holes-180-degrees-apart method.

Rafael said:
thanks John, Boy, I can't remember how I got those out before. If I drilled or not, or if they came out easier because they are smaller. Anyway, do you drill to get the cotter pin puller in or get it past the lip?

With the hub gear off, and the speedometer drive off, there is no need to drill. Also that way you don't mess up where the seal contacts the hub gear of speedometer drive gear. If you are working on older bikes, there is a range of machining in the 80s when the surface of the speedometer drive gear was very rough from the factory, or as a replacement part. I wouldn't install them until I had smoothed them down by either cleaning the surface up in a lathe, or chucked up in a drill press. I used a file and then fine emery paper to get a good smooth surface on the drive gear.

Aargggh. I destroyed the new seal while pressing it on. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the lip and a short section of it folded over. I didn't see that until I removed my pressing piece... After a choice expletive, I drilled another hole, and pulled another main seal <groan>.

So, is it necessary to use the specific Corteco brand seal for the main seal? If not, then I may be able to source a similar seal locally from an industrial supply store. Otherwise I'll be waiting at least week.

KnowFear said:
Aargggh. I destroyed the new seal while pressing it on. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the lip and a short section of it folded over. I didn't see that until I removed my pressing piece... After a choice expletive, I drilled another hole, and pulled another main seal <groan>.

So, is it necessary to use the specific Corteco brand seal for the main seal? If not, then I may be able to source a similar seal locally from an industrial supply store. Otherwise I'll be waiting at least week.

As long as it is the same size, material, and type, a locally procured seal should work. If you want extra piece of mind, order one from a dealer/supplier.

Back