Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. The site owner Todd had surgery on Monday, and will be very slow to respond to all inquiries, including online Store questions.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  3. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Rear suspension wishbone bolt

Discussion in 'CARC' started by Brian UK, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

I decided to strip down the suspension linkages on the Norge to grease the needle roller bearings. The good news was that they were not dry.
    The really bad news is that I cannot remove the front wishbone bolt. It turns freely, but won't come out. I can only assume it's rusted into the needle roller inner, all the other bolts had signs of rust here.

I've soaked it with penetrating oil and tried a hammer and punch to drift it out, but no joy.
    It's in a very awkward place to try drilling out the bolt, so I am a bit stuck. I may have to take an angle grinder to the wishbone and replace it with a new one, if I can buy one over the counter.

Anyone got alternative and less destructive suggestions?

2. iainw

iainw Cruisin' Guzzisti

Heat?
    But not that girlie heat gun stuff, get a proper flame on it.

3. BellagioBob

BellagioBob Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi Brian,
    On Rays Bellagio he had the same problem, its not so much the lack of grease in bearings but the bolts rusting into the suspension likages that causes a major headache. Ray managed to saw through the bolt and then managed to get them drilled out. This was why i posted here about rust a couple of threads below. Can these bolts be replaced with stainless?

Looking at my bellagio the heads of the bolts are rusted so I imagine they too are going to be welded in. They quality of the zinc plating seems to be a bit lacking!

There are also proplems with the bar end weights on Bellagios rusting into the handle bars making removal impossible.

4. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Yes of course I had a flame on it, though not oxy-acetylene. The idea is to get as much heat to the bolt without affecting the other parts.

5. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Yes, I had heard of the cutting episode, but in my case I don't have any gap in which to place the saw blade, so I would end up cutting through the spacer too.

I spent 30 mins filing the threads clean after welting it with the FB hammer, and now it's all back together pending a miracle cure.
    At least I know that all the other bearings are well greased, as are the bolts.

6. Series4

Series4 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Sometimes patience and repetition work. Try it again in a week, add more penetrant if it doesn't move, try again in another week and so on.

7. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Yes, that was my plan. Patience is cheaper than an angle grinder.

8. rturo

rturo Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Brian

If you end up having to butcher parts and can't get replacements quickly I may have some seconds that you need. I know I have the delicate wishbone and most bolts, not sure about the cast/machined solid dog bone link. I picked them up off Ebay as insurance but I had my linkages and shock off and greased before last winter - I was surprised how easy it was after 4 years, I guess I must have won the "minimal grease bonus" at the factory when they built mine. I now plan on doing the same before winter this year as its an hour well spent .. have you noticed that the parts diagram shows them as a linkage/bolts/nuts kit not individual parts?

Art

9. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Thanks for the offer. I am not in a hurry at the moment as there is nothing wrong with the bearings, so it can be left until a more convenient time.
    My parts list shows the wishbone complete, but also all the individual bolts, nuts and spacers. Of course getting them is a different matter though I do have the UK's best parts supplier just a couple of miles away.