• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear suspension wishbone bolt

Brian UK

GT Reference
I decided to strip down the suspension linkages on the Norge to grease the needle roller bearings. The good news was that they were not dry.
The really bad news is that I cannot remove the front wishbone bolt. It turns freely, but won't come out. I can only assume it's rusted into the needle roller inner, all the other bolts had signs of rust here.

I've soaked it with penetrating oil and tried a hammer and punch to drift it out, but no joy.
It's in a very awkward place to try drilling out the bolt, so I am a bit stuck. I may have to take an angle grinder to the wishbone and replace it with a new one, if I can buy one over the counter.

Anyone got alternative and less destructive suggestions?

Hi Brian,
On Rays Bellagio he had the same problem, its not so much the lack of grease in bearings but the bolts rusting into the suspension likages that causes a major headache. Ray managed to saw through the bolt and then managed to get them drilled out. This was why i posted here about rust a couple of threads below. Can these bolts be replaced with stainless?

Looking at my bellagio the heads of the bolts are rusted so I imagine they too are going to be welded in. They quality of the zinc plating seems to be a bit lacking!

There are also proplems with the bar end weights on Bellagios rusting into the handle bars making removal impossible.

Yes, I had heard of the cutting episode, but in my case I don't have any gap in which to place the saw blade, so I would end up cutting through the spacer too.

I spent 30 mins filing the threads clean after welting it with the FB hammer, and now it's all back together pending a miracle cure.
At least I know that all the other bearings are well greased, as are the bolts.

Sometimes patience and repetition work. Try it again in a week, add more penetrant if it doesn't move, try again in another week and so on.

Brian UK said:
Yes, that was my plan. Patience is cheaper than an angle grinder.

Brian

If you end up having to butcher parts and can't get replacements quickly I may have some seconds that you need. I know I have the delicate wishbone and most bolts, not sure about the cast/machined solid dog bone link. I picked them up off Ebay as insurance but I had my linkages and shock off and greased before last winter - I was surprised how easy it was after 4 years, I guess I must have won the "minimal grease bonus" at the factory when they built mine. I now plan on doing the same before winter this year as its an hour well spent .. have you noticed that the parts diagram shows them as a linkage/bolts/nuts kit not individual parts?

Art

Thanks for the offer. I am not in a hurry at the moment as there is nothing wrong with the bearings, so it can be left until a more convenient time.
My parts list shows the wishbone complete, but also all the individual bolts, nuts and spacers. Of course getting them is a different matter though I do have the UK's best parts supplier just a couple of miles away.

Back