• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Recent Update Nov2012: 74 850T

Re: UPDATE: 74 850T Running Issue

much appreciated everyone! I will order a new dyna III and it should all be sorted out without resistor. Thanks.

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

As you can see here ( hopefully ) I have fitted my unit to the frame and I made brackets to mount the coils and the voltage reg. The install instructions ( which I still have if you want a preview , you could PM me your e-mail addy and I will send ..... I cant figure out how to post a document so that it can be read :geek: not ! ) are really quite good as long as you have a basic understanding of what your trying to do . I found it a bit fiddly ( adjust and test ..... adjust and test ......) but simple enough .You WILL need a timing light, and if you are convinced that you have everything right ( spark an all ) and it still dont go .... try swapping the plug leads over.
Tewrecks , your mention of low resistance primary's is sure right , my ducati paso ( weber marelli digiplex ignition ) coils have only 0.35 ohms primary res.
I guess the bit in all this that grates me is that the dyna blurb states that the dyna111 unit will run standard ( 3.5ohm ) coils .... and it plainly wont ( there is a bit of paper in the box that you only get to see AFTER you have bought and recieved the unit saying that it needs 5 ohm coils ) and you are likely to fry the unit if you are unaware because it will run for long enough to think everything is okey dokey.
With the dyna when you turn the key off both pots will fire, not noticable if the engine is running when you turn off , but if you ( oh just for the hell of it ) turn kill switch to off and then crank engine , twisting throttle , switch kill switch to on ..... wait till the wife ( or the cat .... that WAS funny ) is behind the bike and then turn key off ...... it will either chuff , sneeze or .. boomboom :evil: :lol: :lol: .... good outside the bank too

MC Tool - Thanks for the pics. That helps. that's exactly what happened - I had the 3.5 coils in, thought everything was grand and burn she goes. I have seen the dyna instructions, the only thing they leave out on the diagram is which terminal on the coil is positive. Assuming I am hooking this up right, the white and the jumper wire go the right coil positive and the red from the dyna and the other end of the jumper go to the left coil positive. The green would be negative and the black ground to engine block. Sound right?

Ya just gotta watch coz there are 3 red wires , one is the power feed to the unit the another is the right coil neg and the power feed to the dizzy . From memory they had different terminals on em , the dizzy one is easy ( now where have I heard that before ..... she was too :cool: ) as its in its own cable with the other 2 wires that go to the dizzy

Had the same problem with a Boyer on my Norton 650. Blew the ignition unit with 3 Ohm coils despite their instructions saying 3 is an ok resistance. Using a 4.5 dual coil with a new Boyer unit - seems ok now. My Rita on the LM2 has the lucas coils. Haven't tested their resistance yet - should do it I expect.

manxkipper - sounds like you had the same problem as me. I should get my new Dyna unit today. Should have everything in order by this weekend. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks....

Just wanted to let you all know I haven't had a chance to install the dyna yet. Swamped at work and exhausted by time I get home. Will try to do within the next few days and update. :D

Sorry guys. I have been so busy with work lately that I haven't had a chance to finish and update you. This past weekend I finally installed the new coils and dyna III. Haven't started her up because the tank and carbs are off. This weekend I hope to finish up, including the timing.

Finally - new dyna III, new Dyna Coils (5 Ohm), new spark plugs (gaps of .6mm), freshly charged battery & all fuses good... Still a no go... :( :(

The ignition on with fuel tap on, press starter button and hear starter trying to turn bike over, but not firing up.

Took off the old dyna unit: unscrew cover of contact breaker, lift out old "plate" with wires and put new one in. Engine was on rotated on "D" prior. Once this new plate was in, rotated and the marks near perfect as they crossed the plate contacts for each right and left cycle (engine right side "D" passed the contacts on the left side of the plate in the contact breaker). Black ground wire attached to rear of gearbox bolt.

Wires - green to left coil ground, red wire with spliced end and blue bridge wire to positive side of left coil. The right coil has red to ground and blue bridge wire and white from ignition to positive on this coil. The black, red & white wires with male ends connect into the same color wires from the "plate" set in the contact breaker.

Gas lines are clean and I am getting fuel. Can smell it. Carbs completely rebuilt and synched. Perhaps no spark still? What else can it be? Could the regulator, rectifier & alternator be affected by the bike dying with the previous coils (3 ohm) malfunction? What else can it be? Where should I go from here?

BTW -Tested spark plugs against engine chassis - no spark when cranking the engine. I am going to make sure the spark plug wires are inserted properly and to pulled out loose when coils were installed. How would I test the coils?

HELP...

Definately a spark issue. Put everything back as it should be. Make sure with the key on, 12 volts is present at the supply side of each coil. If present, take the trigger lead off form each coil. Remove the plugs from the engine, insert them into the plug leads and ground the plug to the engine. Briefly provide a ground to the trigger side of a coil then remove the ground. This spark plug should fire when you remove the ground. If this occurs, then work on the timing part of the system. If not, then it may be coil, or there isn't enough current to the coils even though voltage is present.

One thing to remember when chasing a fault, don't make a bunch of changes at one time. Just change one thing at a time and test.

Thanks John. I did pull the coils back out and tested them and verified wire connections again - each was approx. 4.7 ohms. I tested the SP cables - I got no reading at first. The brass connectors perhaps was not making good contact inside the coil and the bare wire of the cable. They were a pain to remove from the coil itself so I have to get new connectors. Shoved on probe into the cable sheathing to contact the wire. The other probe was touching the contact in the SP boot. Both read approx. 5 ohms. Everything seems good but I am thinking the actual cable was not getting the juice to the SP itself originally before I pulled it out. Off tomorrow to get new connectors or even SP wires. If this doesn't work then I will proceed with John's suggestion above. Let's hope its this simple! :lol:

Ok. Figured it out with John's help. The timing was off. I made sure the RH was at the D in the inspection window on the flywheel in the compression stroke (thumb over Sp hole). Had to rearrange the dizzy all over again. Now the D on the compression stroke crosses the contacts line at the same time on the inward side, and the S crosses the contacts line on the outward side. My guess is that is wasn't on the compression stroke on the D was in the inspection hole previously when I installed the new dyna III. When I pulled the dizzy out, gas came out as well. It is probably in my oil, isn't it? Time to clean that out good.
Before I rechecked the timing, I pulled the SP out and grounded to engine. I heard a somewhat loud bang, immediately turned off. Don't know what it was. Hopefully all is ok.... :oops:

Just wanted to update - found out the reason I was getting no spark even with new coils and dyna III - the power wire from the ignition was faulty. Figured this may be helpful if anyone gets the same symptoms.

Thanks again for all the help and direction....

Back