• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Red Code Card

Chocaholic

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just bought a used 2014 California that only came with one key. No luck trying to program new spares (2). Seller did not know anything about user code so I’m assuming it’s 00000. But a red code card was in the packet of info. Does anyone know what these codes are for?

Note: When I insert the new spare key, it asks for the code, which I put in (I’ve tried 00000, 34534 and 11111)..then it repeats the request for the code. But no joy.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Just bought a used 2014 California that only came with one key. No luck trying to program new spares (2). Seller did not know anything about user code so I’m assuming it’s 00000. But this red card was in the packet of info. Does anyone know what these codes are for?

View attachment 21915

Note: When I insert the new spare key, it asks for the code, which I put in (I’ve tried 00000, 34534 and 54286)..then it repeats the request for the code. But no joy.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Please try last 5 digits of your Cal1400's VIN number too. Otherwise it is likely that Seller had set a code through Menu >> Service option and didn't tell you. If he was the second owner and don't know then you are out of luck.

I am already in that rabbit hole of red triangle on my dash despite having correct code and correct keys from dealer so don't attempt something until you either get a working user code or you have dealer nearby who can look into the issue. The dealer in San Francisco haven't been able to resolve my issue yet.

Unfortunately no dealer within a tolerable distance. Based on what I’ve read here, most aren’t helpful anyway!

So...when I put the spare key in and turn the ignition on, it asks for the code. If I have the correct code, what will happen? As stated, now it just repeats the code input sequence.

Just bought a used 2014 California that only came with one key. No luck trying to program new spares (2). Seller did not know anything about user code so I’m assuming it’s 00000. But this red card was in the packet of info. Does anyone know what these codes are for?

View attachment 21915

Note: When I insert the new spare key, it asks for the code, which I put in (I’ve tried 00000, 34534 and 54286)..then it repeats the request for the code. But no joy.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

BE VERY CAREFUL. It is very easy to cause a fault in your dash by attempting to add a key code that only one company in the world is capable of fixing for you.

Unfortunately no dealer within a tolerable distance. Based on what I’ve read here, most aren’t helpful anyway!

So...when I put the spare key in and turn the ignition on, it asks for the code. If I have the correct code, what will happen? As stated, now it just repeats the code input sequence.

As Dave suggested, it is worth a try searching for prior user. Another suggestion is look at the Registry thread of Cal1400 maintained by Todd and hopefully if you are lucky you might find your bike listed there and track who owned it.

Did you try last 5 digits of your VIN as code yet?

Below is what I know so far (others can correct me. I had that confirmed by dealer too)

1) If there is no code set at all then for any key it will keep prompting you to set the user code but you can ignore if you want.
2) Once you set a user code by entering one, any non-programmed key will only work after entering that user code. If you insert a programmed key then it will not even ask for code.
3) Lot of times these user codes are preset to one of the following 00000, 11111, 34534 or last 5 digits of VIN number. Try some of those to see if user didn't change it before

Most important suggestion: Once you have the code then make sure you goto dealer to get the key programmed just so that it becomes their problem if anything goes wrong. I had correct set of keys ordered through dealer, had the user code for bike and still I tried to program the keys with info available on this site as well as internet, I just ran into Red Triangle error. (You can search up that thread). Now I am still waiting for Moto Guzzi dealer to sort out the issue. So far two trips were worthless with 4 hours spent on each time. Dealer is waiting on Piaggio to make a decision now which is to change my dash with new one and program keys to it.

I have the same issue with a 2014 Griso I purchased last summer with 5,000 miles on it. I couldn't even get a laser cutter to cut the key correctly. My solution is to make sure I don't lose the one key I do have... :|

Thanks guys. Yes, I’ve tried 00000, 11111, 34534 and the last 5 of the VIN. I bought the bike from the 2nd owner and have the name of the original owner who lived in Newark, DE at the time. Apparently he now lives in Italy. I’ve tried to reach him via Facebook to no avail (there’s even a picture posted of him on my bike). His name is Gino Penza, if by chance anyone knows him.

In any case, I figured out what the red code card is for. It’s got a 16 digit code on it that would be needed to order a new key fob (which I disabled with jumper).

Hopefully Gino will turn up eventually. For now, I’ll try not to lose my one working key!

Just a thought. I have receipts from when the bike was serviced at Speed’s Cycle in Elkridge, MD in 2014 and 2017. Any chance they would have needed the user code for for the initial and 6k service?

Thanks guys. Yes, I’ve tried 00000, 11111, 34534 and the last 5 of the VIN. I bought the bike from the 2nd owner and have the name of the original owner who lived in Newark, DE at the time. Apparently he now lives in Italy. I’ve tried to reach him via Facebook to no avail (there’s even a picture posted of him on my bike). His name is Gino Penza, if by chance anyone knows him.

In any case, I figured out what the red code card is for. It’s got a 16 digit code on it that would be needed to order a new key fob (which I disabled with jumper).

Hopefully Gino will turn up eventually. For now, I’ll try not to lose my one working key!

I wish you best of luck that you find your user code. But if you can't find then read below.

@roadventure has pointed out in past to me that only source that can handle the situation is Carmo electronics in Netherlands by sending your Dash and keys to them for about 300-400 bucks.

I wish you best of luck that you find your user code. But if you can't find then read below.

@roadventure has pointed out in past to me that only source that can handle the situation is Carmo electronics in Netherlands by sending your Dash and keys to them for about 300-400 bucks.

Looks like there’s a Carmo USA advertising the same service. I still have one working key...so may give them a call.

carmousa.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=27

Looks like there’s a Carmo USA advertising the same service. I still have one working key...so may give them a call.
I’ve dealt with them for a decade. Save yourself the time, and send direct to NL. It’s all the US company does, and charge you for it in addition to them, and back to you.

Ah, ok. Last question. Has anyone tried to have a locksmith clone the transmitter from the working key? Read about that on a Griso forum. Once you have two working keys you can reset the user code. Thoughts?

Just bought a used 2014 California that only came with one key. No luck trying to program new spares (2). Seller did not know anything about user code so I’m assuming it’s 00000. But a red code card was in the packet of info. Does anyone know what these codes are for?

Note: When I insert the new spare key, it asks for the code, which I put in (I’ve tried 00000, 34534 and 11111)..then it repeats the request for the code. But no joy.

Thanks,
Mike
I could be wrong but I believe the red card appertains to the alarm.

Yep. Thanks Robert. It seems it’s needed if you have to replace a remote. Does anyone happen to know if key-cloning by a locksmith is possible?

Last edited:

carmousa.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=27

Don't bother with the U.S. Carmo location. They will receive your dash, forward it to the Netherlands and up charge you the additional service.

Just a thought. I have receipts from when the bike was serviced at Speed’s Cycle in Elkridge, MD in 2014 and 2017. Any chance they would have needed the user code for for the initial and 6k service?

Speed's Cycle has been out of business for a few years now. No chance of help there...

Yep. Thanks Robert. It seems it’s needed if you have to replace a remote. Does anyone happen to know if key-cloning by a locksmith is possible?

You can try that route to see if a locksmith is able to successfully clone the key. Don't know if others were successful here or not but near me in Berkeley,CA there is a locksmith that apparently clones keys for Ducati, Moto Guzzi and other Italian moto brands. I didn't go that route though.

I had a key cloned by a locksmith. He had a hard time and it took him a long time. I can start the bike with either key but I have not been able to retrieve the old user/key code or program a new one.

Back