• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Red light on dash, not alarm light

grinmaul

Tuned and Synch'ed
03MKpTw.jpg

Any idea about this light, the round red one to the left of the flashing security light. only comes on when bike gets wet.

Edit: it stays on even after key removed.

That topic has surfaced before. The light on the left is linked to the optional OEM theft alarm. No one really knows how it is supposed to work (at least from what I have seen). If it is illuminating only when it is wet, then sounds like a potential wet short somewhere. There is a multipin (like around 12 pin) connector under the seat somewhere that is supposed to interface with alarm. IF memory serves, it will have a orange jumper wire ab towards the back of the bike. Just check to make sure it is staying dry. Others have reported the light also so don't think it is anything to worry about but just check around to make sure everything is relatively dry.

Alan, Even moderators have a bad day once and awhile. I wrote technical manuals for Army missile systems. I'd get field queries all the time. I'd reference the manual for the system for their answer. It is amazing what you can lean reading from the manual. Page 28 says it is the anti theft light and shows no lights to the left. Interesting as it seems from Canuck's post, that light isn't actually described in the manual, go figure. Guzzi manual writers fail again.

Any idea about this light, the round red one to the left of the flashing security light. only comes on when bike gets wet.

Edit: it stays on even after key removed.

Typically, when this happens, the speedometer sensor on the rear wheel gets wet and fails. The dashboard sees zero speed, yet knows you are in gear and running, so it shows the error.
Did your speedometer stop working?
But I've never heard of the light staying on very long after the key is off.

Ya, RTFM. i read and searched it front to back, but thanks. that dash on page 28 is not my dash. its missing the red triangle security light:)

the only info i can ever find refers to the red triangle light that is for the anti-theft, that is working as normal and the reason it took me twenty tries to take that pick while it was lit, its harder then you think:) i wanted to make sure that i showed the anti-theft light lit to avoid people just saying the light on the left is the alarm light:)

I started searching about this issue last year, my dealer has no idea what it is.

Last edited:
That topic has surfaced before. The light on the left is linked to the optional OEM theft alarm. No one really knows how it is supposed to work (at least from what I have seen). If it is illuminating only when it is wet, then sounds like a potential wet short somewhere. There is a multipin (like around 12 pin) connector under the seat somewhere that is supposed to interface with alarm. IF memory serves, it will have a orange jumper wire ab towards the back of the bike. Just check to make sure it is staying dry. Others have reported the light also so don't think it is anything to worry about but just check around to make sure everything is relatively dry.

interesting, i never heard that before. i would not expect water to get to that connector while the bike sits in the rain. i am more inclined to think it might be getting in the connector at the dashboard, i might try to get to it this weekend and seal it with dialectic grease or is there something better? i will seal every connector i can reach on the bike to avoid some future corrosion problem.

if my dealer has the optional alarm in stock, maybe i can convince him to plug it in and see if that light does anything then. i cant imagine why they would need an antitheft light and an alarm light, wast of dash space:)

Typically, when this happens, the speedometer sensor on the rear wheel gets wet and fails. The dashboard sees zero speed, yet knows you are in gear and running, so it shows the error.
Did your speedometer stop working?
But I've never heard of the light staying on very long after the key is off.

Since it can be on if the bike just sits in the rain and has had no input from the rear sensor and has had no reason to expect any i would think not. i can park on a sunny day, and if its raining when i get to the bike, the light is on, before key is inserted.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and review what is being said........

The light on the left (#5) is the Antitheft warning light that is part of the optional alarm system. The one on the right (#8) is the general warning light that signals an ecu error and will flash when riding when there is an ECU or Dash error. It cannot signal an error on anything if the key is off so it can't be for the speed sensor. It is also not an anti theft light. They make it flash when the bike is off to tell you the immobilizer is active. You can actually turn it off in the setup menus.

Flashing of light #8 is normal when the key is off, flashing or lighting up of the #5 light however is not normal unless you have an alarm installed. Others have had this issue and it was benign. There may be a wet short in the alarm connector that is worth looking at just to make sure but I would not loose to much sleep over it.

You can pull the the ECU connector and put a little (an I mean little) bit of dielectric grease on it just as a safeguard but the sealing rubber on the connect is actual pretty good. It is not like the older model that had the connectors facing up and collecting water.

From Page 28 of the posted manual...........

Upload 2015 6 3 11 51 8

My apologies. when i look at #8 on my dash it is a straight up triangle, on the manual it is round with triangle in the middle, the #6 and #7 both light the whole circle when lit, i made an assumption the #8 must do the same.

It seems unusual to flash the immobilizer with the general warning light and not use the alarm light.

i will ignore the light, but would like to still know where the water is collecting enough to cause it to come on:)

You will find the connector for the optional alarm under the seat. It is a 9 pin connector and will have a jumper wire on it (assuming you don't have the alarm installed). It is located on the right side under the seat rubber (at least that is where it is on mine). If you actually disconnect the connector, the bike will not start so if that jumper ever rubs or becomes disconnected the bike will not start (may need that for future trouble shooting).

According to the drawing, the only wire that goes to the dash is the green/pink stripe. Again this is a Guzzi so we are assuming the colours are correct. Manual confirms pin 29 is the antitheft led on the dash connector.

Either way, I would start there to see if water is getting on the 9 pin connector. Once everything dries up and the light goes out, just seal the connector up to be sure. Failing all that, you can always disconnect it from the dashboard connector (or the nine pin connector which may be easier. Just make sure you cover the wire end as it is showing as a 12Vdc connection (at least at the dash).

Last edited:
Back