• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Redirect engine heat?

mcwilljg

Just got it firing!
It's summer here in Texas. That means serious heat from the sun. I ride a B11 and the heat blown back off the cylinders and heads makes it worse. Has anyone devised a workable method for redirecting this engine heat that bakes the knees and inner thighs?

Wearing Jeans and boots ( :lol: sorry)

Similar issues here in North Queensland (well not now, it’s winter) But I was actually quite surprised that there wasn’t more heat from my 1200Sport. It’s pretty good, even in traffic in 40degC days, although my right boot seems to get hotter than my left.

It's an interesting one, and I can't think of anything that would work well enough.

My first thought was makeshift fairings which either direct the air from the heads over your knees, or go the other way and direct it in under the seat.
The first will block any air from getting your knees so wont necessarily work. The second will most likely boil your shock and make cornering an experience from the past.

Your best bet will probably be to grab some kevlar jeans to block the heat...oh and plenty of knee down action to get those knees in the breeze to cool them down. ;)

May also be really stupid and obvious but I don’t hug the tank with my legs and my feet tend be on the outer 1/2 or the footpegs, so there is always a bit of airflow.

But if I point my toes straight and tuck my legs in so they are touching the tank and against the sides of the bike it seems to create a little vortex of warm air….. Always though it was a rather clever design "feature" and very nice in out 21degC winter :lol:

Roblatt said:
I haven't done it yet, but most here say it helps to replace the cat box under the bike with a crossover.

cheers

Robert

Yes it does help. I put the Guzzitech crossover on (very well made item) and I don't notice excessive heat from the bike any more. The stock cat gets really hot and stays that way. It made the bike much more pleasant in the Alabama summer.

And/or-if you get the GT-RX ECU re-flash for the CARC bikes, as I did for my Norge, a side benefit of replacing the grossly overlean stock air/fuel map is that the thing runs noticeably cooler. Besides running significantly stronger/better, I'm feeling noticeably less heat coming off the motor. True, this is subjective/not tested, but seems pretty clear to me, & I've heard a few others report the same.

john zibell said:
Roblatt said:
I haven't done it yet, but most here say it helps to replace the cat box under the bike with a crossover.

cheers

Robert

Yes it does help. I put the Guzzitech crossover on (very well make item) and I don't notice excessive heat from the bike any more. The stock cat gets really hot and stays that way. It made the bike much more pleasant in the Alabama summer.

I'll bite, John. What are you talking about. Did not see at 'store," unless you mean this: https://www.guzzitech.com/store/GT-B11-Ypipe.html

Bill

I wrapped the headers (standard header wrap) and that too noticably reduced the heat I get on my legs; that is with the standard cat and before a reflash. Just rode 3 days in 30+ heat coming back from the national rally and was very comfortable...plus it looks cool (I think)

john zibell said:
Bill, That is the pipe. https://www.guzzitech.com/store/GT-B11-Ypipe.html I don't think it will work on your Norge, but Todd can tell you for sure. I'll have the bike up at Guzzis in the Blue Ridge the end of the month if you want to take a look at it.
Thanks John/Bill, no the Breva Y-pipe will not work on the Norge/1200 Sport. Completely different design. If any one wants to send us their cracked Norge/Sport Y-pipe, we'll build it to offer here.

has the crossover pipe for the Norge been designed yet??? How does one go about getting a ecu reflash??

thanks

Dan

ndmackay said:
I wrapped the headers (standard header wrap) and that too noticably reduced the heat I get on my legs; that is with the standard cat and before a reflash. Just rode 3 days in 30+ heat coming back from the national rally and was very comfortable...plus it looks cool (I think)

Saw a black B11 like yours with that wrap on it at the Virginia rally last month. I agree, it looked just fine ... but think that it only does and would on a black B11 or Griso, as both have that bruto air about 'em that makes 'em look like boxers. It just fits.

On my red Norge, it would be more of like a weird mummy or WWI wounded-soldier effect. I'm thinking of ceramic coating, tho hope to check out John Zibell's crossover pipe at Cruso at the end of the month to see if that'll work on the Norge.

As I just mentioned in another post, I rode a Kaw14 recently and found it WAY hotter than the Norge. Yikes! In fairness, think it was a 2008 model, and that Kaw claims to have fixed the issue as a result of many complaints about BBQ'd legs. :woohoo:

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
ndmackay said:

Saw a black B11 like yours with that wrap on it at the Virginia rally last month. I agree, it looked just fine ... but think that it only does and would on a black B11 or Griso, as both have that bruto air about 'em that makes 'em look like boxers. It just fits.

On my red Norge, it would be more of like a weird mummy or WWI wounded-soldier effect. I'm thinking of ceramic coating, tho hope to check out John Zibell's crossover pipe at Cruso at the end of the month to see if that'll work on the Norge.

As I just mentioned in another post, I rode a Kaw14 recently and found it WAY hotter than the Norge. Yikes! In fairness, think it was a 2008 model, and that Kaw claims to have fixed the issue as a result of many complaints about BBQ'd legs. :woohoo:

Bill

Bill,

The 1100 Breva pipe won't work on the Norge, but I think Todd is working on something.

john zibell said:
Bill,

The 1100 Breva pipe won't work on the Norge, but I think Todd is working on something.

Thanks, John.

I am ready to send deposit right now! :woohoo:

Seriously, I think the Norge is hotter than I might wish, especially in the South's oppressive summer days when -- as, thankfully, rarely happens to me -- I'm stuck in traffic. Still, it's tolerable, and I long ago realized that m/c riders would make great data collectors for anti-perspirants. :blink: In other words, if one worries a great deal about such things, perhaps another sport calls.

That said, will be happy to find something that reduces the temp on it.

Bill

Wistrick said:
has the crossover pipe for the Norge been designed yet??? How does one go about getting a ecu reflash??
Dan, no it has not. We still need one to work off of.

Also (Bill, et al), my ECU re-flash will not only lower operating temps significantly, but it will also greatly improve throttle response, power and rid 95% of pre-detonation/pinging.

ECU re-flash info is available here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/160/4129.html
Purchase info here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/GTRxECU.html - currently I do not have any to exchange, but my turn-around time for those sending to me for re-flash is typically same day. Feel free to contact me direct e-mail for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Has Antbody thought about a ceramic coating such as jet hot, I get the heat but I don't like the looks of the pipe wrap. Mike

I've got ceramic coating on the Breva header pipes.

No discernible difference to heat, and contrary to what I was told it's fragile and damages quite easily.

What I have found is when cruising @ speed below 4500 rpm the heat is worse than running in a lower gear at say 6000 rpm..Guessing this is due to the lean condition caused by the closed loop tuning below 4000 rpm....

or I could be imaging it...

Dan

Back