Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Refurbishing my 2007 Norge

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by mylovelyhorse, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

No, you've balanced your throttle bodies, but the high idle is due to the stepper motor being over zealous. Some do, some don't.

As Brian UK sez above, insert a pnuematic (air) switch in the hose between the air box and the stepper motor. I have three 1200 Sports with these installed. Once you get the motor warmed up, you can switch it off so the hose is blocked. If you want to simulate this result, simply squeeze the hose with a pair of pliers and watch the revs drop.

An added bonus is the increased engine braking you will experience and enjoy.

2. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

If your having to blip the throttle to get it from 2000 to 1200rpm check the linkage isn't sticking or your cables are too tight, I have found that the ball and socket joints between the throttle bodies get muck in there. On my Breva there is a switch on the clutch lever, when I pull in the clutch the revs increase by about 200rpm, your switch may be faulty and permanently on.

kiwi dave likes this.
  3. mylovelyhorse

mylovelyhorse Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

So, why wasn’t it doing that before the throttle body balancing? This is a new problem.

I will consider that after the holiday (if the GS is good so I can go at all) but not now as I am supposed to leave Wednesday night. Between now and then: mainly I will be at work.

4. mylovelyhorse

Yeah, I’ve cleaned a lot of muck out of that area. Last action before closing the garage door was to liberally douse the whole area with carb cleaner to try and get any last filth out of it.

Possible. But nothing answers the question “why now?” The bike hadn’t got this problem until the throttle bodies got balanced. Now it does have it. Given the time constraints I now have (and remember I’ve been working on this bike for months) I’m afraid pulling things apart to try and fix this issue - on a bike known for kicking up more issues once one is fixed - is hopelessly impractical. I’m not getting rid of the bike but for the time being the work has to stop. I’m also bitterly disappointed in it, I must admit.

It’s 06:50. I’ve been awake since 6 thinking and worrying. I didn’t sleep until after midnight trying to figure out what to do. I need reduced stress in my already difficult life, not a bike that increases it.

5. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Problem is as always, you have no idea what a past owner might have done.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    mylovelyhorse likes this.
  6. mylovelyhorse

So it’s fixed: I took it to Baldrick. It’s absolutely sweet now.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  7. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

What was the final fix?

8. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The final fix was taking it to Baldrick. Local Guzzi mechanic of very many years standing. No doubt he set up the throttle bodies properly.

9. mylovelyhorse

He did indeed. It took him several hours to get it ‘just so’.

10. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I love happy endings ... and beginnings. :clap:

Take a pic or two (or, as I do, a few hundred :giggle:) and keep us posted on your jaunt.

Best wishes,

Bill

11. mylovelyhorse

Here’s a few pictures from the first few days:
    https://imgur.com/a/0gnlh7P

The bike is going great - exceeding my expectations for comfort and riding enjoyment.

jdub and Bill Hagan like this.
  12. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    Great pix.

You obviously brought your rain gear. :giggle:

Glad it's going well. You are bound to be more comfortable than your friend on his D748! Well, unless he's only 22. :rofl:

Traded my Norge with a friend (my age) who was on a 748. Only rode a few miles. An amazing machine, but I got off feeling as if I'd been on a (very fast) fence rail! :cry:

The Norge is made for the sort of touring you are enjoying.

Best,

Bill

13. mylovelyhorse

MickE and Bill Hagan like this.
  14. Raven

Beautiful scenery and roads. Lots of fixer upper houses too.;)

15. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Was that Oradour sur Glane?
    If so then it's a village kept exactly as it was on the day the entire population was killed by occupying forces as a reprisal. So not "fixer upper".

Anyone visiting the area around Limoges in France should visit, very thought provoking.

MickE and mylovelyhorse like this.
  16. Raven

Well there's a buzz kill.
    It's actually Le Camp des Fourches and not Oradour sur Glanes.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  17. mylovelyhorse

It was indeed

And has an excellent museum too, putting that terrible day into context across the times.

18. mylovelyhorse

How peculiar. It was Oradour sur Glanes when I took the photographs.

19. mylovelyhorse

Ahh got it - you were referring to Le Camp des Fourches as the fixer upper - that is also preserved. I confess that when I was there my thoughts went to how awful - and how cold - it must have been to serve there.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Camp_des_Fourches

20. mylovelyhorse

I’ve just spent a week riding my Norge around 2,255 miles of French countryside. I had originally intended to cross the Alps and go to Mandello but the weather turned very wet to the East so I went West instead.

My 61k miles Norge has done me proud on my week in France. It covered 2,255 miles, doing an average of 47 mpg. It’s been very comfortable and a really enjoyable ride. I’ve never had a bike with an engine that will pull through an uphill hairpin at 1,750 rpm before - torque-tastic

Several days the temperatures were over 30oC and the roads not suitable for more than 50-60mph (and the 80kph/50mph speed limit didn’t help) - the heat boiling off the cylinders was terrific, fair cooking my knees and thighs. I can see why the 8v bikes have a more complex fairing in that area.

A few issues have come up - the horns don’t work (maybe I left a connector undone when I had the fairing off?), neither do the hazard warning lights (thought I’d fixed that). More importantly I really need to restore some plushness to the front suspension with a good servicing, new oil and new HyperPro springs. The front brakes need the fluid changing and a good bleed. The rear brake needs bleeding. Might as well change the clutch fluid too. The rear shock needs a new HyperPro spring - plus I’m reasonably sure the bushes on the rear suspension linkage and wishbone are pretty well jiggered. Not a cheap fix though. All this will be done in stages over the next months as my finances don’t permit a blitz on it - plus the Slim Controller wouldn’t approve of my retiring to the garage for days on end

I’m going to change the oils again, as well as the filter. It’s less than 3k since I found all the paper bits in the inner strainer. It can’t do any harm to replace the fluids & filter, clean any sludge out of the sump and basically see what condition the oils are in.

I ❤️ my Norge