• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Relays Under the Cover...?

Touringman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
First a note: On a scale of 1-10 my electrical knowledge is about a 3.5...so be nice.

While chasing an odd "no start" situation on the 1400 T this morning, I pulled the right side cover off the bike and opened the two boxes that said RELAYS on top. There I found 6 identical relays, with no identification anywhere as to what any of the 6 relays control.

Anyone here know what the relays control? or at least what relay number they correspond to on the wiring diagram, since the diagram bears NO resemblance to the actual position of the relays on the bike.

Since there are two boxes with 3 relays each, from right to left: box1 Relays 1,2 &3 box2 Relays 4,5 & 6.
Any help here would be appreciated.

FWIW: after wiggling each relay and making sure they were all seated in the sockets firmly. The bike fired right up....??

Thanks in advance!!
Kirk

Sounds like the 1400 is in line with all older Guzzis then. Other than the well noted igntion/key issue, the C14 has been relatively trouble free so far that I am seeing on this type of problem.
The "relay dance" of the '98-12 1100's required occasional removal/reinstall to clean the connections, or moving them one position to find the problematic one.

Sounds like you got it going, but thanks for posting.

I would like to know if anyone has ever found a way to cross-reference the Aprilia / Piaggio electrical relay part numbers on the (2014) 1400 Cal Touring bike? The six relays spoken of are, presumably, Part #895907 (currently a special order from AF1 Racing and a 4-6 month wait to ship). Other relays on the bike are the "MG relay", Part #8224262, and the Injection Relay, Part #895481 (presently shipping in 4 to 6 weeks from AF1 from the time it is ordered). Yes, I have searched for hours through multiple posts for multiple Moto Guzzi bikes here and on the internet, and did not find a simple cross reference where I could look up the Aprilia or Piaggio number and see an equivalent relay from another manufacturer. (The #8224262 seems easier to get; for example, Mitsuba RC-2208 or L5A, but are they configured the same, since some online stores use "stock" relay photos?) I even contacted Dan Prunuske at DPGuzzi.com (thanks to a 2015 post by John Zibell who, by the way, has also posted equivalent relay numbers for other bikes, God bless him) and Dan said he basically carries the relays for the Tonti and 1100 Sport models from 92-12.
I think some of us would like to know what the equivalent relays are for these 1400 Cal bikes, as it is remarkable what a task I am finding it to be to source good, readily-available relays here in the USA without having to source them from Europe, Australia, or used on Ebay. I thank you for any pointers. May the Forum members who know far more than I about things electrical have mercy on my wretched soul.

I am no electrician and know nothing about the 1400. But you can take that relay into any auto parts store and get another with the same connecter pattern. With the old 98+ 1100 set up I just used all 5 prong relays even if it only used 2-3 of them. Couldn't screw it up that way and just rotating them forward fixes the problem, usually.
Historically Guzzi relays suck!

Back