• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing fuel line quick disconnect

john zibell

Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
A forum member suggested I make this a sticky thread. This applies to bikes with internal fuel pumps.

I've found the easiest way to disconnect the fuel line is to disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel pump then do a start cycle. That relieves the fuel pressure and the connector is then easy to remove. The design is similar to an air chuck, so pushing on the line while pulling the collar works.

I think it is OK to post this link here? Nice short demo on YouTube. Only difference is that it won't squirt if you follow procedure above.

Good video, but other bikes are different. The ring is on the line, and the elbow stays on the fuel pump base. Thanks for posting the video.

My vacation plans, someday, tour Italy, eat, drink wine, see the sights. And bitch slap the guy who designed the ( "quick" connect). And the guy who designed the air box on my Stone, a general ass kicking for him. The Gas cap designer, a long spiel of cursing. Fondle their teenage daughters. Make crude passes to their wife & girlfriends. And mommas mia.
Maybe, A group tour?

Last edited:
OMG The quick connect is SO DAMN EASY to disconnect. I made that video above. 2 seconds, and it's off...

I don't get the stress people experience with it.

My vacation plans, someday, tour Italy, eat, drink, see the sights. And bitch slap the guy who designed the ( "quick" connect). And the guy who designed the air box on my Stone, a general ass kicking for him. Gas cap designer, a long spiel of cursing. Maybe, A group tour?
Maybe it's time for a Honda?

And bitch slap the guy who designed the ( "quick" connect).
You'll have to go the the UK for that. The style shown in that video (above) is a John Guest connector (or a copy thereof). The connector on the V7iii models is quite different, but no better - until you know how. The hint about relieving the fuel pressure works a-treat. With a little practice it becomes quite a quick and easy process. I take my tank off any time I want to attack stuff under there now. Wiring in accessories becomes a complete doddle when you can get your hands in there and see what you're doing. I was quite daunted the 1st time though, I must admit. Takes all of about 60 secs now - including removing the bolt. It's definitely something I'd be willing to do on the side of the road if the emergency required it.

Last edited:
OMG The quick connect is SO DAMN EASY to disconnect. I made that video above. 2 seconds, and it's off...

I don't get the stress people experience with it.

If it is so easy, why do I see folks on various forums struggle with it ?
Even after releasing the pressure.

People DO NOT listen to directions. It's an endemic problem in the USA which I've experienced all my 54 years.

That and the fact that some people, should never try to do anything mechanical to their motorcycle. Everybody is not mechanical inclined, contrary to their thought to the contrary.

Lastly, as demonstrated in the video, you don't even have to relieve the pressure. It's not that significant.

agree...but, for guys who have removed hundreds of fuel lines, with clamps and connections of all kinds, a "quick connect" should be just that. They are all not.
When it is difficult to remove, One should not have to look for Directions, and spend 1/2 hr on the web looking for the secret handshake and magical trick to remove it.
It should be simple. No one should have ANY problem removing the connection if it was designed correctly.

Obviously, many folks have an issue with it, so there is that.

Well, mine is Not easy or Quick to remove.

best wishes......

It's only easy once you've seen how it works. There comes that cathartic "aha!" moment. The only thing which can continue to be quite difficult for some is getting enough fingers into the tight space. You cant do the John Guest style connectors with just 1 hand - at least I can't.

The V7iii style requires 2 opposing buttons on the fitting to be pressed in firmly (thumb and forefinger) to release the mechanism. It does take a very firm pressure to release. Releasing the pressure in the fuel line helps a great deal with these fittings, but you can do them quite easily with just 1 hand. The fitting on the tank is a "barbed" tube and the fuel line has 2 spring loaded pawls which clip/lock behind the barb.

Once you get it off the 1st time check it all out really closely so that you'll know what you're feeling for the next time. I had my dealer take mine off during the 1st service to show me how it's done. Once I saw it done and had a good look at the connector I was right. Mine has enough fuel hose to be able to stand the tank right up on its end - doddle!

Last edited:
I've done the "quick-release" countless times, and know how to do it.

That said, I share bacon's view of the gizmo and will stand in line -- at an appropriate social distance and wearing a mask :giggle: -- to bitch slap and otherwise punish some Mandellan design folks for it, the airbox on all models, and other weird shix.

My latest gripe is this display on my Stornello's dash:

i-qDTKzCX-L.jpg

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT is "NA Int?"

Turns out it is intended to be short for "Maintenance." :fubar:

"Naintenance?"

I say again, "WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT." :swear:

As for the tautologically named "quick release," I got sick of 'em and replaced my Norge and Griso's with these:

beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Bill

Bill, Those BMW style connectors are easy to use. I've used those to replace the fragile plastic ones that are installed by the factory. When I install the pair on a BMW, I switch orientation of one of them so they can't be connected incorrectly since on a BMW, one side is pressure to the injectors and the other is return. You do want to have extra o-rings for them as in a few years they will begin to leak.

Bill, Those BMW style connectors are easy to use. I've used those to replace the fragile plastic ones that are installed by the factory. When I install the pair on a BMW, I switch orientation of one of them so they can't be connected incorrectly since on a BMW, one side is pressure to the injectors and the other is return. You do want to have extra o-rings for them as in a few years they will begin to leak.

Good points, John.

And, in my case at least, code for "Bill, check orientation of new connectors." :giggle:

Thanks.

I love learning new useful stuff!

Absolutely simply brilliant John. Stunningly so!

Thanks!

Back