• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing fuel line quick disconnect

Abusus Non Tollit Usum

The connector is simple and efficient to use.

Just because one cannot use it correctly, does not make it a bad design.

I had some time studying Latin and love to find opportunities to use it.

I don’t quarrel, Scott, with the premise that the connector is — at least in theory — "simple and efficient to use."

Nor do I think it necessarily a bad design … well, except for it being integrated, as I recall, into the fuel-pump assembly, at least in some models.

It would, however, IMO, never have its large numbers of present detractors — yes, most, as I am, dilettantes of the mechanical arts — had it been fashioned from metal instead of plastic.

Gratias tibi.

Bill

P.S. On a note related to Latin, but not the connector, my career as a Latin scholar hit a speed bump early on. A comely little lass sat in the desk in front of me. :makeup:

I passed her a sophomorically ribald — I was, after all, a high-school sophomore! :party: — note in crippled Latin that, essentially, proposed a tryst after school. She read it, turned around (my undoing, BTW) and winked. :inlove:

The crusty old Latin teacher, a spinster no doubt much younger than I am now :giggle:, spotted the movement, seized the note, read it, and launched me toward the principal’s office and the dreaded “Board of Education.” :cry: Those were the days of corporal punishment and I was already a veteran sergeant!

Maybe more about that over whiskey sometime. :clap:

It would, however, IMO, never have its large numbers of present detractors — yes, most, as I am, dilettantes of the mechanical arts — had it been fashioned from metal instead of plastic.

Well Bill, IMHO that would have raised the price of each production unit substantially as a metal fitting would be both prohibitively expensive and overkill. Regardless, I still stand on the belief that if you understand it, it is "simple and efficient to use."

The number of detractors all revolve around the same issue...people who

1. Did not understand how the design worked and was supposed to be worked

2. They applied excessive "lateral force" to the plastic connector, causing it to break. (If you think about that these connectors are meant to last the lifetime of the bike, and if they are not ham-fisted, they will last that long.

I just get tired of the bitching about the connector. It's a great design and works perfectly every time if operated correctly.

I wish I could be more "politically correct" or "diplomatic" like you, but I guess I am just am not like that. To the irritation of some, I call it like I see it without candy coating or watering down.

Unfortunately, people who do not wrench a lot or for a living, just seem to get heavy handed with stuff that was never meant to be. Case in point, I repair a lot of stripped oil drain plugs and broken spark plugs in the head from people who got "torque values" from who knows where for parts that really shouldn't have a torque value. They are pure "wrench feel" which requires a bit of restraint I admit.

As for the people who complain that the part is not available in the US. So what. Order it from Europe, What's the big deal. If you want it, it's available but you have to do a little legwork to obtain it. Once again, because it's not on a silver platter or instantaneously available, they blow a gasket over it. I just cannot understand that.

Oh well, "Voglio vivere cosi..."

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I think the fuel fitting is a simple, efficient design that does its job. It quickly connects the fuel line to the tank, and from what I can tell it does its job well without leaking.

They are, however, fussy. Maybe not when brand new off the showroom floor, but once dirt and road gunk have a couple of years to build up, as well as years of contact with gasoline and varying temperatures, they do get a little fussy. Time and time again it is proven to me that just because a task is simple, doesn't necessarily mean it is easy. I've worked with all kinds of fuel fittings on everything from a Ford Ranger to a Robinson R22 to a Volvo Penta boat motors to the fuel lines on an Apache AH-64D, and I still had trouble with the Moto Guzzi V7 fuel fitting. For users who are not familiar at all with holding their mouth right to get these things to release, they can be aggravating as hell! And once frustration rears its ugly head, it compounds further and often results in broken plastic fittings. Stopping and taking a break can do wonders when working on vehicles. Knowing the proper procedure for the task at hand? Well, that's worth gold.

You are not incorrect in stating the connectors are simple and efficient. Knowing the proper technique is absolutely necessary. But, we here are riders of widely varying technical proficiency and tinkering experience. You can't just sit back and say "I don't know why you guys are having so much trouble, see how easy it is?" - it accomplishes nothing. The connectors are, or at the very least, can be fussy, even if one holds their mouth just exactly right!

EDIT: to say that I remember seeing a metal replacement fitting on one of the parts sites I frequent. I'm presently attempting to find it again to post here for those who may be interested. If possible.

I found it! If you search for "Zip Ty Racing Male Aluminum Fuel Tank Fitting" you should find it. I won't link it out of respect for the store being ran here but, I also want to help my fellow members.

Last edited:
You can't just sit back and say "I don't know why you guys are having so much trouble, see how easy it is?"

I'm a million miles from perfect but truly I'm not doing that here.

It's just that I have been here long enough to know that almost every topic you could think of on just about every model, has a detailed discussion and/or answer here on the forums. That's the beauty of this place folks...yes, we have our share of anecdotal offerings and banter like other forums, but where this forum differs completely and most-importantly, is that it is a fully-indexed, cataloged, and searchable repository of good, solid, proven, technical information, created by many talented people.

I am acutely aware of the vast differences in skill sets of the members and guests, and it was because of this, I went to great lengths to offer the very best technical explanation and solution to this problem I could personally offer with the hopes that anyone reading it could understand it.

I did it to be a resource of help because I'm grateful for, and enjoy reading other people's technical writings on various forums, every single day, and I try to give something back.

I've done this type of detailed answer, many times on this forum, including on this exact topic, before, and again here.

Did you read post 61 above? It's reiterated the information again right there.

If you understand how it works, and why, then reasoning out the directions on how to disconnect it, that I wrote in detail, makes sense. That's why I wrote it.

Not looking for accolades at all. I just want people to succeed with this because it needn't be a battle between your motorcycle and you.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...er-removal-detailed-with-pictures.9202/page-4

Post 74 and others after, explain everything about the connector. If you understand HOW it works, then doing in in any situation or condition, becomes a simple task.

Ok, good luck!

Last edited:
I did see your linked post, and reading it a few weeks ago is actually what helped me perform the task on my bike! That is one of the great benefits of a web forum, a helpful post someone took the time to write helps many people from that moment forward. When you wrote that post I didn't even own a V7, or any bike at all, hadn't even heard of guzzitech.com, yet almost four months later your post helped someone with that task. So please don't feel unappreciated for the time you took to write that informative post, your experience and expertise is valuable here. For a bike manufacturer and model whose maintenance and repair networks are less strongly represented in my country (or at least my area) web forums like this are precious resources. Your contributions add to the value of this resource.

Yep Did that still wouldn’t come off. Last time I broke the pos plastic fitting and replaced it with an aluminum one. Tried everything I could think of and it wouldn’t budge. I thought the ones on my bmw were a pain but I’ve never seen any on anything that were this hard.

Yep Did that still wouldn’t come off. Last time I broke the pos plastic fitting and replaced it with an aluminum one. Tried everything I could think of and it wouldn’t budge. I thought the ones on my bmw were a pain but I’ve never seen any on anything that were this hard.

Never had an issue with them using that technique. Push on the line while pulling back on the plastic collar. They separate easily.

Once you take the pressure out of the fuel line they release almost as easily as an air hose connection. I was dreading/fearing having to do it to install my Power Commander V but with no fuel pressure it was a piece of cake.

PLEASE - read this post #74. You will understand everything about it.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...etailed-with-pictures.9202/page-4#post-166432

The design is incredibly simple and there is only 1 way on or off. Sometimes, the plastic can be temperamental but a quick shot of silicon lube spray on the collar and elbow works wonders. Also remember to first push them closer together, THEN reverse direction and slide them apart.

Let us know how it goes please.

Good Luck!

Did all that still wouldn’t come off. I’ve had it off before. it was aggravating but did come off. This is the first time I’ve tried to get it off since changing from plastic to aluminum fitting and it won’t budge. It’s no big deal it’s all back together now.

You can buy them made from aluminum. The design of the fuel line isn’t exclusive to guzzi. I thought that’s what everyone did when the plastic one broke.

You can buy them made from aluminum. The design of the fuel line isn’t exclusive to guzzi. I thought that’s what everyone did when the plastic one broke.
Part # or info?

Thanks, I'm very aware of the mid-line connectors. I was hoping an aluminum version of the one below surfaced somewhere. Need it for the E85 supercharged bike.

GU01106692

I looked at every quick disconnect there and didn’t see one like the Moto Guzzi design at all.

To the original poster, if yours is not coming apart, it must be dimensionally different than the OEM piece and this is probably causing the problem because there is nothing in the design to cause it to stay locked together.

Back