• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

removing or opening up air intake snorkels

guzzi jon

High Miler
GT Contributor
Has anyone experimented with opening up the apparently restrictive rubber snorkels on the airbox, pointing rearward under the seat. on the 8V test, some noted increased performance with the snorkel removed, have not heard anything about this on the griso. I got great results opening up my airbox on my Cal SS and lemans, but the Griso is a different beast, any input is appreciated.
Cheers,

I got my bike lightly used....under a 1000 miles on the clock.

It had a K&N filter, drilled out box cover and no snorkle.....and with a Mistral can on it. There was a fair amount of popping during over run.

I taped over the holes and put the snorkel back on (lessend the poppng) but I noticed a drop in power in the mid range (e.g. coming out of a corner around 5K rpm)....

So I pulled the tape and snorkel...and found someone with a Axion....seems to be a good compromise between heat and air flow.

Having never driven a griso without the airbox mod...I could tell when I closed things back up.

rdl

Hi John;

I pull them off to make room for an auxiliary fuse block. I have to admit I can't feel any difference. The snorkels are so short I cna't see where they do anything. And the leave behind opening is still facing backwards... While it worked for me for space, I don't think there is any change in performance.

Thanks Sam,
It seemed that there would need to be some input of higher pressure air to make any difference in the the intake. I had a 1990 CBR 1000 that took its intake air from the rear panels, I changed this to more of a ram air box and with carb adjustments got big gains.... Seems the little intaikes are smaller than any guzzi I've seen, must be some improvement ready, when the PCV gets available
Cheers,
Jon

Hi John:

In the end it may only be a way to control engine noise for EPA/EU noise abatement ... I would think the snorkles tend to dampen the sucking noise from the engine.

I know when I put the open K&N on my EV, it got louder and honk -i-er

Does anyone know if its possible to remove the airbox and fit some velocity stacks and filters ?

I have seen some on other models but not the griso.

I had my first ride of the year on my 07 Griso with the modifications of removing the old air box, replaced with K&N siingle filters put on the high pipe by Mistral and man what a difference it made. The engine rev's so much quicker response is impressive over the stock setup. Once you open the intakes up and remove the restriction of the final exhaust you can't believe the difference. I had not found any HP or torque loss. Rev's very strong and I am very pleased.
I took a 120 mile trip today to the following New Guzzi Shop here in PA.

EUROPA MACCHINA
501 INDUSTRIAL DRIVE
LEWISBERRY, PA 17339
PHONE: (717) 932-6600
M-F: 9-6, Sa: 10-4
These people we some of the finest people I have met in the industry of automotive and motorcycles. They are passionate for their products. Their mechanic, Art Corrsetti is top notch with more years on Guzzis as a mechanic/tuner, machinist and owner than many Guzzi riders been ridding.

Lori Van Haultoen FRICK one of the owners is extremely passionate about their line of Guzzi's
To deal with these folks, I am certain it is going to be a real pleasure!!

A couple of us on the Breva side of the forum have pulled the snorkel off, as well as diverting the engine breather to a catch bottle, with excellent results.
The engine now revs a lot better and acceleration is up.
Don't know if it would work on a Griso but give it a go, it won't cost you anything to find out.

My BMC filter will be here next week (part # 373/01). Apparently the same filter as the Aprilia Tuono. I will attempt to post pics of the filter installed with no box top and home-made aluminum retainers.
Scott

Hey Griso guy have you taken any photo's I would love to see what you have done as this seems to be what i want for my bike ?

Jon.

Griso Guy wrote:
I had my first ride of the year on my 07 Griso with the modifications of removing the old air box, replaced with K&N siingle filters put on the high pipe by Mistral and man what a difference it made. The engine rev's so much quicker response is impressive over the stock setup. Once you open the intakes up and remove the restriction of the final exhaust you can't believe the difference. I had not found any HP or torque loss. Rev's very strong and I am very pleased.
I took a 120 mile trip today to the following New Guzzi Shop here in PA.

EUROPA MACCHINA
501 INDUSTRIAL DRIVE
LEWISBERRY, PA 17339
PHONE: (717) 932-6600
M-F: 9-6, Sa: 10-4
These people we some of the finest people I have met in the industry of automotive and motorcycles. They are passionate for their products. Their mechanic, Art Corrsetti is top notch with more years on Guzzis as a mechanic/tuner, machinist and owner than many Guzzi riders been ridding.

Lori Van Haultoen FRICK one of the owners is extremely passionate about their line of Guzzi's
To deal with these folks, I am certain it is going to be a real pleasure!!

Here is a link to A thread on another board about them.
http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.p ... opic=11815
Top knotch shop and cool place to visit.

Hi John,
Yes, I have photo's taken. As soon as I am able to transfer them onto the forum I will do so. Computer I use does not have the correct software to hook the digital camera up to. My plans are to scan them from a print.

And you don't have a card reader the access your camera's memory card as a removable disk?

I've just removed the snorkel part of the airbox and took the Griso for a spin I found that although the bike sounds fruiter :) there didn't seem to be any difference else where possibly felt a little less torquey than with the snorkel on. I think a longer test ride is in order by the way anyone from the UK going to the staffs classic bike show this weekend ?

Jon,
Give me some time, I am not ignoring you the shots I have taken are too large for this server to handle so I am going to have to try again with making the pixels on the camera card smaller so to attach here onto Guzzi Tech.

You can resize the pictures without retaking them. Just use a picture program like photoshop or microsoft paint.

This photo attached here is of the full tail section with no box and battery tray.

Battery box with fuse holder:

2. my Griso with the mods:

3. right side of engine:

4. left side of engine o course you all knew that:

5. Individual K&N filters, take note the the air temp sensor is on the right filter.

6. No air box or battery tray. Reason for the carbon fiber on the fender is that I am designing an under the tail muffler. I had to remove the extra part of the fender since it was going to be in the way:

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Doug

Back