• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing sticker on gas tank..?!

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So, here's a very trivial question: Anyone have advice on removing the "no ethanol" sticker on the gas tank of my new V7III Anniversario? Every time I get on it I scrape a bit with my fingernail, but it gets just little fragments off at a time. And I know there must be a better way, but that sticker is an annoyingly tenacious bugger..! Thanks.

+ for hair dryer. WD40 to remove any left over gum, it is water soluble and wont damage the paint. Also you can try a soft eraser on left over adhesive.

Reactions: cse
I took all the stickers off Racer with Goo Gone. Spray a little on the sticker, particularly around the edges, and wait five to ten minutes. Then it will just lift and peel off in most cases. Than a little warm soapy water to remove the Goo Gone and adhesive residue.

So, here's a very trivial question: Anyone have advice on removing the "no ethanol" sticker on the gas tank of my new V7III Anniversario? Every time I get on it I scrape a bit with my fingernail, but it gets just little fragments off at a time. And I know there must be a better way, but that sticker is an annoyingly tenacious bugger..! Thanks.

Back to your original post.

You have a "no ethanol" sticker on your tank?

Really?

"No ethanol?"

Is that a new warranty requirement? Surely not.

I try to find such with luck and assistance, e.g., https://www.pure-gas.org, but mostly use "products" to lessen the effects of that evil misuse of corn.

Bill

There aren't really any options around my area, so I just go to the local gas station I know has clean tanks and use whatever premium fuel they've got. It's been that way for many years around here. I've never seen anything that indicated there had been a problem with an engine or fuel system because of it.

But does Guzzi really put on a sticker that says "No Ethanol?'
Surely not.
But, if so, they must be clueless about US reality or doing an attempt at CYA. If the latter, shame on them.

Bill,

The sticker on my fuel tank read like this:

IMG 4132

It's no different from the similar warnings in my Mercedes Benz SLK280 owner's manual and stickers in that car's engine compartment. They're just telling you what sort of fuel is compatible with the engine. Any manufacturer will void your warranty for using fuels incompatible with the engine that they're warrantying.

The warning on the local gas station's pump says something like "...may contain up to 12% ethanol...". The ethanol content varies by the season around here. I doubt the 2% difference in the warnings means anything.

G

Last edited:
Thanks.

As for your attachment, got this: "The requested attachment could not be found."

On the merits, tho, understand. It's not "no ethanol," it's the standard NTE %.

I loathe ethanol. Difficult to find premium e-free fuel here.

The only liquids that should come from corn are bourbon and Mazola. :)

Bill

Thanks.
As for your attachment, got this: "The requested attachment could not be found."
On the merits, tho, understand. It's not "no ethanol," it's the standard NTE %.

I loathe ethanol. Difficult to find premium e-free fuel here.
The only liquids that should come from corn are bourbon and Mazola. :)

Re-uploaded the file.

I'm not sure why you loathe ethanol. It's at least a fuel, and far less of a environmental problem than MTBE. Racing engines at one time were designed to run on high-percentage ethanol (and other similar alcohol distillate) fuels. They had some advantages ... see http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-1201-alcohol-fuel-basics/ for a quick review.

^^^^

Thanks for reload.

If you had a Guzzi with a "plastic" tank, you'd be more sympathetic to my view.

Both Griso and Norge get dimples like Shirley Temple, but not as cute, from ethanol.

The Norge's tank has swollen so much that I can no longer "button it down" on the frame as the bolt hole on the tank hads passed over the frame's threaded hole. I have a replacement ready to swap out next week. The OEM will dry and "shrink," and I'll do the R&R thing next year all over again.

I love the Stornello in no small part because its tank is metal.

Bill

If you had a Guzzi with a "plastic" tank, you'd be more sympathetic to my view.

Both Griso and Norge get dimples like Shirley Temple, but not as cute, from ethanol.

The Norge's tank has swollen so much that I can no longer "button it down" on the frame as the bolt hole on the tank hads passed over the frame's threaded hole. I have a replacement ready to swap out next week. The OEM will dry and "shrink," and I'll do the R&R thing next year all over again.

Hmm. That dampens my interest in a Griso somewhat. I've never liked any motorcycle with a plastic tank. Fiberglass, okay for dirt or road race bikes but needs careful, regular inspection and maintenance. Plastic ... Okay for dirt bikes, never on a street bike.

I've never owned any motorcycle with a plastic tank and never will. If I had a Griso, I'd engage a tank builder to make me an aluminum replica of the original plastic tank. I've done stuff like that before... :)

Hmm. That dampens my interest in a Griso somewhat. I've never liked any motorcycle with a plastic tank. Fiberglass, okay for dirt or road race bikes but needs careful, regular inspection and maintenance. Plastic ... Okay for dirt bikes, never on a street bike.

I've never owned any motorcycle with a plastic tank and never will. If I had a Griso, I'd engage a tank builder to make me an aluminum replica of the original plastic tank. I've done stuff like that before... :)

FWIW, the Griso's tank seems way less affected than the Norge's. No clue as to why as they seem similar to same in composition ... tho I was asleep in most science classes (or looking at Marilyn B's legs ... Lordy, even the memory is ... get back to 2018, Bill! :giggle:) so I really don't know.

Anyway, there seems to have been no gross enlargement of the Griso's, and only occasional dimpling. As I sit here thinking about this (and avoiding housecleaning -- Kathi's only been in Seattle one day and our usually pristine home looks as if an IED has detonated :party:) I recall having the Norge's tank off (with fuel in it) for long periods while doing other maintenance at a snail's pace. Never done that with Griso. Surely the retaining bolt at rear of tank keeps the tank in place in more ways than one.

Love the Griso. Have thought seriously about getting a custom metal tank and sure would have piled on had a I seen a call for others to join in a multiple buy. But, so far, as said, its ethanol issues have been almost nada compared to Norge.

Bill, strong recommendation if you have a new out of the box tank, send to these guys or someone like them and have it coated before put into service; http://www.gastanklining.com/index.html -- or DIY from Caswell; http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html#

Have thought about that, Todd. Have been told -- but, as said above, was distracted in science classes along the way, so do not know if legit -- that Guzzi's "nylon" tanks resist coatings as such will not satisfactorily adhere to smooth finish. And, difficult to impossible to reach all surfaces with bead blast or whatever to roughen completely or sufficiently. As always, defer to smarter folks than I, i.e., you and most everyone else here on such subjects.

My "new" tank is used, thus only new to me. It is, however, in great shape and even from only a rough eyeball micrometer, "smaller" than one on there now.

Squalor calls. ;)

Bill

Back