• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing the gearbox cover on a 1980 V50II

joeradical

Just got it firing!
I have a 1980 V50II that won't shift out of second gear. I'm pretty sure it's a busted spring so I went ahead and removed the gearbox to make the repair, but for the life of me I can't remove the gearbox cover. I have a shop manual with the following instructions:
1. Undo the securing screws and remove the preselector lever
2. Loosen nut and undo the preselector lever positioning screw
3. Tap lightly on preselector with a mallet and take it out from the inside of the cover
4. Remove bushing
5. Remove preselector spring
6. Remove layshaft seal with a suitable punch
7. Remove the swinging arm spindle bearings from the casing by the aid of puller
8. Undo neutral indicator switch

So, I removed the screws securing the cover to the gearbox casing, and took off the preselector lever and its positioning screw. It seems like step 3 starts at the point where the cover would be removed, since the preselector is inside the gearbox, so that's where I stopped. As far as I can tell, at this point there is nothing on the outside of the cover preventing its removal, but it's on there pretty solid. It just won't budge.

Does anyone have any advice for removing the cover? Am I missing a step somewhere that the manual does not list?

Thanks.

Have you removed the clutch housing?

I've only ever had to remove the clutch housing to replace the push rod seal and input seal but according to mine all the stuff/gears/gizmos comes out the front. Section 8.4. :unsure:

You can either use the special tools listed in the manual or use a rattle gun and long socket to get the lock nut off the g/box input shaft.

Cheers

I did remove the clutch housing, just so that it's out of the way and I could maneuver around the gearbox better. I really only want to get the cover off, which is on the rear. Would I actually have to dismantle the gears in order to this, or should the cover slide off once everything on the outside is removed? I'm inclined to think that it's a strong seal preventing me from pulling the cover off, but I'm hesitant to bring a mallet to the thing in case the gears are connected to the cover in such a way that using force will destroy something.

So far, what I've done is removed the clutch housing from the front of the gearbox, then everything on the back of it connecting the cover to the main gearbox case. (All screws and levers have been removed.) Should the cover come off at this point?

Haven't done the work, bust AFAK there's no major changes to motor or transmission during all years of smallblock manufacturing.

So if you do want pics of the operation mode, download the Breva shop manual http://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/750/Bre ... 03_Atel(GB).pdf where you'll find illustrations of the procedure in full color, widescreen and Dolby stereo - well, almost. :laugh:

Do replace the smiley in the link to a ( G B ). If written the proper way it's translated into a smiley here..... :huh:

Go ahead and take all three gearbox housing sections apart. The gears and selector come out as a unit. It might be a bit hard to pull the gears out of the bearings. Then you can get at the return spring easily. Make sure that you keep the gears and shift forks all lined up, and then you can just put them back in as a unit. I would recommend replacing all the bearings and seals while you have it open. They are relatively inexpensive and you have done the hard work of taking it off and cracking it. When you put the bearings in scribe the surfaces in the aluminum cases so the bearing can bite, and install using red loctite, as the bearings have tendency to spin making a horrible noise.

Hi Joe, I maybe a bit late here,

Yes you have to strip the things off the back of the box, and then turn it over and work from the front to the back.

After the clutch housing comes off (i can't remember the terminology and to lazy to look it up) there is a sprocket attached to a shaft, which is bolted to the back case, this sprocket will have to come off, then you will be able to lift the middle case off the back case, then, IIRC you can unbolt the gear cluster off the back case. You might be able to pull the selector drum rod out (make should the gears are in the Neutral position, Make life easier, sorry i do remember you saying it was stuck in second, it will have to be put back into neutral to put it back together) and then get to the Gear Selector itself.

See how you go and hope this helps, Warwick :cheer:

Warwick in NZ wrote:
Hi Joe again,

Have you have a look at this site,

www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi_training/

Have a look down the page to the gearboxes part and happy downloading, Warwick :cheer:

Sweet mother of fun that's a helpful site.
I'm in awe.
I'll be finishing this mess Wednesday morning, I'm really thankful for everybody's help.
Hopefully it works out.

Back