• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Replacement Aux Lights for the NTX

Re: replacement NTX aux lamps

In the same vein as the last question re the Hela (Hella?) light failures. I rarely ride at night and so rarely use the aux lights. Can they short out even if not being used?
And in my continual pursuit of McGyver/Trailer Trash remedies, how about putting some styrofoam around the inside of the metal housing?

honestly, no the hellas are trash, they consume better than 110Watts, the bulbs last maybe 3kmi...and just as the kicker they really only serve as marker lights....I can say that after having to ride home 40mi at night with only them burning.

my clearwaters come on and it looks like the headlights on the bike have been turned off, and they were only eating 72watts.

just ditch them, they willl cost more than thry are worth in bulbs the first year....if you do keep them buy the yellowest bulb you can they will last longer

They are NOT going to last. Period! The vibration down there will even break the mounts. And I can only remember using mine once when the bike was new. And the wires burned thru my case anyways.

Do I take it from the above posts that it is only a matter of time (and not that long) before the OEM Hella fog lights on my 2013 Stelvio are going to fail? Should I relocate them while the bike is still new - or do they fail no matter where they are mounted?
Alan NZ

Eugenehoward said:
pyoungbl said:
Many of the NTX owners have had problems with the Hella fog lamps that came with the bike. Even though Hella is a premium brand this particular application suffers from the wiring rubbing inside the metal housing and shorting out.
IMG_4736-M.jpg

One fix is to bunch any extra wire in the rubber cap at the rear of the assembly but vibration still seems to plague the Hellas on the NTX.

In order to avoid this problem I decided to install LED fog lights to replace the Hellas. I'm using lights from Mondo Moto http://www.mondomotos.com/. They have two styles, a single LED lamp and a multi led bulb lamp (the multi LED lamp is currently out of stock). Although the LED housing is made of billet aluminum it is still only 6.7 oz each vs 12.5 oz each for the Hellas.

IMG_4735-M.jpg

IMG_4740-M.jpg

The Mondo Moto lights come with a complete wiring harness that includes a relay and switch. We don't need all that wiring so if I were to do this again I'd get just the lights and the longest leads possible. The wiring is color coded and of high quality.

I also installed a fuze in each light circuit so if there is ever a short it won't take out the 30A fuze that also provides current to excite the alternator. In the garage these new lights seem to be as bright as the Hellas they replace. I'll know better once I get the bike out on a country road. Mondo Moto claims 800 lumens and a 10 degree pattern. The multi LED lamps have 1000 lumens and a 30 degree pattern.

I believe these new lamps will suffer less from vibration due to their lighter weight and smaller size.

Peter Y.

Have these lights lasted OK on the crash bars Peter?
Alan NZ

Wayne Orwig said:
I just added LEDs to replace the incandescent lights that I had been using.
I call them my 'religious lights'. When I turn them on, everyone around shouts, "HOLY %$#@".
They are BRIGHT. My headlight bulbs are very bright HIDs, and when these are on, you can hardly tell the headlights are on. I had to install a dimmer to allow me to run them during the day for visibility, and not be blinding.

9 3 watt LEDs per lamp, 27 watts total pert lamp. $29 each. 30 degree spread. Perfect for what I want. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZG ... 03_s00_i00

I just added $22 15 watt LED lights to my EV. I'll need a few nighttime rides to test them out but they look like they will work well too. They are a very narrow spot though. Not sure how well that will work out.

Have your LED lights stood up to the Stelvio punishment OK Wayne?
Alan NZ

Alan, my LED lights have indeed stood up quite well. The brackets that came with the LEDs, on the other hand, fractured at the base. I made up replacement brackets out of billet aluminum and the problem seems to be solved. The crash bars on the NTX have the aux lights sitting at the end of a stem, which is already about as far away from the frame of the motorcycle as possible. The result is that the lights are subject to lots of high frequency vibration when you are going down the road. I did not realize how much vibration is involved until I reached down while on the highway (not a recommended procedure). As a reslut, I think LEDs or some other totally potted light system is the only way to have long lasting aux lights. Others have recommended some kind of rubber mount but I'm not convinced that would be enough to make the OEM lights last. If the electrics did not fall apart the brackets will.

Peter Y.

AlanNZ said:
Do I take it from the above posts that it is only a matter of time (and not that long) before the OEM Hella fog lights on my 2013 Stelvio are going to fail? Should I relocate them while the bike is still new - or do they fail no matter where they are mounted? Alan NZ
Guys, I merged these two threads, as they were one in the same.
IMO, yes, if you don't get the lights off the crash bar (regardless of the brand), they will (in time) fail. The vibration from the rigid mount to the motor is basically a paint-shaker. Grab the bar and rev the motor and you'll see.
There's been a few nice solutions I've seen; Mounted under the headlights with a simple plate (which I can do if there's enough interest), between the wind directors on the sides of the bike (nice and clean), or fork mount them (a bit more susceptible to damage in a tip over).

Since starting this thread I have tried most things, my current and hopefully final solution, in place for over 6k miles is a pair of ridge industries daully's on custom stainless steel brackets the lights seem pretty indestructible, watch the video on their site and have a massive output mine are now wired to come on with the up rated high beams via the aux switch. I also run led day running light permanently on. Works for me but there must be almost unlimited combinations most better than the Hella's not a moan just a fact.

Where is the best place to position a fuse to the Aux lights? Looking at the wiring diagram the 30A main fuse (#1) feeds the aux lights relay, the main lights logic relay, and the high beam relay. Is it best to place the fuse after the Aux light relay (i.e. between the relay and the aux lights) as close to the relay end as possible?
Also, is the aux lights relay located under the right side lower fairing?
I'm no auto electrician so any advice gratefully received.
Regards
Alan NZ

To stop a faulty light blowing the 30 amp put a fuse in the feed to each lamp, if you are running the hella's 55watt a 10 amp each side will be fine. I think someone on here has sourced fused links for the white 2pin connectors used. Keep an eye on the mounting brackets they will crack, have fun Paul.

AlanNZ said:
Wayne Orwig said:
I just added LEDs to replace the incandescent lights that I had been using.
I call them my 'religious lights'. When I turn them on, everyone around shouts, "HOLY %$#@".
They are BRIGHT. My headlight bulbs are very bright HIDs, and when these are on, you can hardly tell the headlights are on. I had to install a dimmer to allow me to run them during the day for visibility, and not be blinding.

9 3 watt LEDs per lamp, 27 watts total pert lamp. $29 each. 30 degree spread. Perfect for what I want. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZG ... 03_s00_i00

I just added $22 15 watt LED lights to my EV. I'll need a few nighttime rides to test them out but they look like they will work well too. They are a very narrow spot though. Not sure how well that will work out.

Have your LED lights stood up to the Stelvio punishment OK Wayne?
Alan NZ

Those lights from Amazon are still doing very well. The light output is great, and at a low power draw. They look good on the Stelvio IMHO. And have held up to the rain and vibration.

Hello GuzziTech,

I'm purchasing a 2013 Stelvio next week and ran across this thread while researching the bike. I currently own a Triumph Tiger 1050 which has one of the worst set of headlights on any modern bike. 2allbuyer sells a great set of led lights for a very reasonable price, many Tigers are using these. I personally have had the 780 and 3000 lumen models on mine for two years and about 40,000 miles through a bunch of rain and cold commuting on the east coast. These are the same as the advmonster lights but much less. They are very good quality. I plan on relocating at least the 3000 lumen to the Stelvio but probably off the crash bars as it seems none hold up there. The 3000 lumen are VERY bright. 35 watts a peice. Not spot lights but so bright as to light everything like day.

2allbuyer.com

9 3 watt LEDs per lamp, 27 watts total pert lamp. $29 each. 30 degree spread. Perfect for what I amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZG ... 03_s00_i00

Those lights from Amazon are still doing very well. The light output is great, and at a low power draw. They look good on the Stelvio IMHO. And have held up to the rain and vibration.[/quote]

Did you use the same stock wiring or was their aftermarket wiring provided?

gz~

Lee R.
The stock headlights on the NTX are the very best headlights I have ever experienced. You will get serious illumination, no doubt about it. I rely on the aux lights more to make sure others see me than to illuminate the road. Actually, I'd probably use the aux lights to light up the side of the road if I was doing much nighttime riding. At one time Todd (Guzzitech.com) was talking about making a replacement bracket for the aux lights, one that would mount them from under the headlight assembly. That would probably solve some of the vibration problems. Just food for thought.

Peter Y.

G-Zulu said:
9 3 watt LEDs per lamp, 27 watts total pert lamp. $29 each.
I have a non-NTZ, so I had to add most of my own wiring. I also wired in a dimmer, so they are at 20% normally, and 100% when high beam is on.

pyoungbl said:
Lee R.
The stock headlights on the NTX are the very best headlights I have ever experienced. You will get serious illumination, no doubt about it. I rely on the aux lights more to make sure others see me than to illuminate the road.

I don't know if anything changed, but the headlights on my 2009 suck, IMHO.
I ride home every night through deer and drunk infested roads at 1am. I found the light output horrible. In particular, a lot of light from the bulb is wasted shining straight up in the sky and off to the side. If you compare the Stelvio reflector to most reflectors, you will notice that a typical reflector 'wraps' around the bulb more, capturing and directing more light out. The Stelvio reflector is very thin, like a shallow dish, only reflecting light going rearward. I got tired of lighting up the trees and ditches, but not far ahead. The HID bulbs that I installed have shielding built in that prevents some of that lost light.
That and the reasonably priced LED lights, and it is awesome.

pyoungbl said:
Lee R.
The stock headlights on the NTX are the very best headlights I have ever experienced. You will get serious illumination, no doubt about it. I rely on the aux lights more to make sure others see me than to illuminate the road. Actually, I'd probably use the aux lights to light up the side of the road if I was doing much nighttime riding. At one time Todd (Guzzitech.com) was talking about making a replacement bracket for the aux lights, one that would mount them from under the headlight assembly. That would probably solve some of the vibration problems. Just food for thought.

Peter Y.

Thanks Peter,

I purchased a 2013 Stelvio NTX today so I'll know soon enough how the lights are. If they are subpar I'll just add the Komy's from my previous Tiger as I know those are super bright.

Hi All

I recently bought a non-NTX model for the orange colour and have had the heated grips and engine guards fitted. I didnt bother with the factory foglights after reading this thread, but thought I'd stick some LEDs on instead. However when I tried to wire them up (with inline fuses, of course) they wont light up. I checked the output from the connectors and it doesnt look like the light switch is doing anything.

Are these enabled in the menu on the dash or something?

Cheers, Alfie

Back