Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Replacement Halogen Bulbs and Heat Build-up in Headlight Housing

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Bonaventure, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Bonaventure

Bonaventure Cruisin' Guzzisti

I think I read somewhere that you have to be careful swapping out the factory halogen headlight bulbs for higher output after market bulbs, on account of heat build-up that can actually begin to deform the housing. Referring to the ones offering up to 130% better output. There are also "race" bulbs claiming 150% improvement.

Interested in what non-LED high output bulbs guys have tried and that haven't caused heat problems.

Not interested in LED's. I don't believe in putting LED's in a reflector housing designed for Halogen light output, due to cut-off problems.

I am looking at Osram Night Breaker mainly because I believe they last longer in motorcycle applications (vibration) than other more common automotive brands.

What do you think ?

2. rslezak

rslezak Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I just installed a pair of PIAA "Extreme White" halogen bulbs into my California 1400 and they're noticeably whiter & brighter than the stock bulb, I'll have to let you know if there's an issue with heat. These bulbs were sold by a Guzzi dealer "AF1 Racing" as an upgrade to the stock Guzzi bulb with no mention of incompatibility.

Here's a excerpt from powerbulbs.com

"First-time buyers of upgrade headlight bulbs often ask if these bulbs will generate more heat. The perception is that more light equals more heat. However, nowadays, this isn't the case. Lighting manufacturers have found more effective ways to increase the power of bulbs without generating any extra heat".

3. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Look at the output of the bulb. More watts will mean more heat. Anything which changes the colour of the light will reduce the amount of light with the same wattage. It's a filter.

4. Bonaventure

So how can a light like the Osram/Sylvania's that advertise 130% more light but say 55W H4 on the pkg, work any better than stock?

Need to throw more light farther down the road without melting my housing and without blinding other motorists the way LED's do when put into a reflector housing made for halogens.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  5. Raven

6. rslezak

These LED bulbs say they utilize a new illumination technology to addresses the flawed beam pattern of LED's ... Now if they'd only fit into the California 1400 bucket.

hidextra.com/razir-motorcycle-led-headlight-kit/

7. Bonaventure

For $100 a bulb they better guarantee no deer hits, perfect beam cut-off, and an automatic butt wiper (for deer near misses...)

8. boscoman

boscoman Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I use a very similar LED in my Stelvio & really like them. Had to lower the aim just slightly to keep from blinding on coming traffic. I will admit that the pattern is much better with the low beams than high beams. That said, between those & the Denali amber LED driving lights (in place of the Hellas), the bike is hard to miss coming down the road.

9. Bonaventure

These LED bulbs all seem to require cooling fans. What happens when the fan craps out?

Mayakovski likes this.
  10. GuzziWings

GuzziWings Just got it firing!

I have just installed these two bulbs from Twisted Throttle. Haven't ridden at night yet, but the are definitely brighter.

PIAA H9 Xtreme White Plus XTRA replacement light bulb, 65watt=120watt, single PIAA.70955 1 $54.99
    [​IMG]

PIAA H7 Xtreme White Plus XTRA replacement Halogen light bulb, 55watt=110watt, single PIAA.70755 1 $49.99
    [​IMG]

tobinh likes this.
  11. rslezak

Most LED's have a life span of around 50,000 hours, that's 13.7 years ...

As far as the fans go - I copied this excerpt from a lighting industry web site: "At the very low speeds employed in active-cooled LED lights, the life expectancy can easily exceed 100,000 hours, much greater than the life expectancy of the LED's themselves."

12. Raven

The LED bulb in the link above has a fan speed of 7,000 rpm, not what I would call low speed. I'm not saying they would fail but...
    Also the reason, other than light output, that most people install LED bulbs is to lower power consumption. You would think a little fan spinning at 7,000 rpm would negate any savings.

13. Bonaventure

Every time I think about replacing the factory halogen bulbs I end up chickening out, on account of uncertainty of an after market halogen upgrade performing any better.

I think I'm going to leave them alone and put a pair of Denali D2 LED aux lights where the factory Hella aux lights were.

14. rslezak

I have many an old hard-drive happily spinning along at 7,200 rpm in a high heat environment for years. Yeah some fail but some just spin on forever... I have to wonder how many hours one would drive at night anyway, even if you were to drive a few hours every night for a year it's still amounts to pretty low usage. If one were to fail they're pretty cheap, just throw in a new one.

15. rslezak

I upgraded to the PIAA and they are really bright, look just as white as the LED DRL's... I might put on a set of the Denali's as well, Twisted Throttle's store is right in my hometown so no mail order, I might even have them wire them up for me.

16. Bonaventure

Are the PIAA bulbs dual filament so that hi-beam works? Stelvio takes H4.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  17. Jerome J Sorich

Jerome J Sorich Tuned and Synch'ed

How about this set up from Aerostich? are any of you familiar with them?
    aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/lights/headlights-and-driving-lights/high-power-led-headlight-bulb-kit.html

18. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

No, but I offer one of the best out there; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/led-headlight-bulbs-usa -- problem is the plastic retaining ring on the big tank Stelvios, nothing out there is plug and play. You can modify the ring yourself to accept the H4 I sell.

boscoman likes this.