• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Replacing Stock Stelvio Plug Caps With NGK SB05E

I waited too long to replace my caps and was stranded about 140 miles from home. About two weeks before I treatedthem Deoxit to prevent a stumble at take off from a stop. Thought I had fixed the problem. I ended up using self fusing silicone tape over the arching point - it worked haven't installed the SB05E's yet. Got 40k miles before the arching started.

Leafman, I was wondering how to get the caps out, I like the zip ties, but I know those go brittle after a while. Might be good to replace zips each time plugs are accessed.

Has anybody used the NGK XD05F caps? They have a 102 degree elbo.

Rafael, When I service an 8 valve, I use a long screw driver to pop the cap off the plug. You can gain access through the passage in the head.

First, thanks to those of you who put together the info on this funky arcing problem. A few days after doing a valve adjust I ran into the problem of a cylinder going out. It would have been nice if had happened right after the work. But no, it waited to surface while I was 30 miles from home. Realizing that problems often result from a change I looked into the previous valve adjust work and was able to get the cylinder firing long enough to get home. Once there and in the darkness of the garage I could see the arching and looked up this thread.

Since I could not seem to find a SB05E, I ordered a couple of SB05F's. But as the SB05F fits only a stud type plug this requires a spark plug change (the stock CR8EKB uses a nut and the nut cannot be removed to reveal a stud underneath as with many other plugs). So which plug could and should I use?

Not trusting the immediate response from the local auto store, I spent an afternoon looking for possibilities. Though I'm sure there are several potential replacements I was looking for the same type plug and not an upgrade to platinum or iridium. I found and have run the following two and each performed as well as the CR8EKB, though I haven't evaluated longevity.
The NGK CR8EK is the same plug as the CR8EKB but with a stud connection. And it was available to order at O'Reilly's as a stock number 3478. It is a $7 plug.
I also picked up a couple of Autolite 4303 plugs at the same store. It is similar to the CR8EK but has a single ground instead of two and is a $2 plug. All of these plugs are copper resistor in a medium temperature range.

So, if anyone gets into the predicament of being away from home and needing to address a cylinder out due to the spark plug wire arcing to the valve cover, you can surely get the widely available Autolite 4303 (which incidentally comes with stud AND the nut) and the somewhat available SB05F plug cap (instead of the SB05E) needed for the fix. The CR8EK is also somewhat available but depending on location may require a day or so to get.

Back