• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

retro fitting carb (carbs) to FI

Dave M

Just got it firing!
I have been looking at the V7 since last fall and reading this forum for a few weeks. I seriously want to get a V7 in the spring. Preferably used but new if I have to.

I have read quite a few posts about fuel injection issues and was wondering if there would be any draw backs to fitting carbs after the warranty is up?

Thanks...Dave

I have been looking at the V7 since last fall and reading this forum for a few weeks. I seriously want to get a V7 in the spring. Preferably used but new if I have to.

I have read quite a few posts about fuel injection issues and was wondering if there would be any draw backs to fitting carbs after the warranty is up?

Thanks...Dave

More trouble than it is worth. Just set up the FI correctly.

There's a guy that just put a newish V7 engine in his TT. He put carbs on it. The bike was set up for carbs. He already had a gas tank with a petcock instead of a tank with a fuel pump inside. He had to figure out a way to trigger the ignition system. Without the ECU, you'll need old-style gauges and stuff, too. It really is complicated to go from new to old. He did OK because he went from old to new. Almost everything he needed was already there.

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the ignition with the ECU equipped bikes. It seems most of the new bikes with FI are set up extremely lean midrange. I have seen a few with the header turned purple. I thought it might be easy to revert back to a carb plus a person would be getting rid of the fuel pump at the same time

Is it difficult to get the fuel injection to run correctly (richer) ?

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the ignition with the ECU equipped bikes. It seems most of the new bikes with FI are set up extremely lean midrange. I have seen a few with the header turned purple. I thought it might be easy to revert back to a carb plus a person would be getting rid of the fuel pump at the same time

Is it difficult to get the fuel injection to run correctly (richer) ?

Todd's reflash takes care of that. Do a search of this forum for more information.

I have Todd's reflash. Comparing it to a properly set up carbed bike is a fair comparison. It's not lean anywhere. The O2 sensors are disconnected and the bike runs off a pretty decent fuel map.

The main difference between a carb bike and an FI bike is the tool set needed to make it run right.
That tool set aside, FI can be every bit as good and in many cases better than a carb bike.
There are people like Todd who have pretty much figured out how to make Guzzi FI bikes run great and Todd sells that ability for a very reasonable price.
I have an older carb small block, I wish it was fuel injected.

Having worked on a number of carbed bikes, and now have 2 FI bikes in my stable, give me FI anytime!
You are better off getting a Power Commander or have the ECU re-flashed than try to convert.
FI gives way more adjustability.

twas me fitting carbs to a v7 engine

Very very easy conversion and it goes indecently fast.... and im not even finished tinkering yet.

strangely i have been asked to put carbs and electronic ignition on a v7 racer for a friend. only niggle seems to be how to get rid of the tank mounted fuel pump and fit a tap / taps to feed the carbs

I am not sure about it being cheaper to manufacture.
I will stick with FI when so equipped. My one carb'd bike is the only bike I have fueling issues with.....

Changed the ignition timing map on my carb fed v7 engine to add 10 deg more advance (38 ish Max) by turning a wheel with a flat blade and went down to 110 main jets and it's really flying and running much cooler

No laptops or expensive gear needed ..... carbs and decent electronic ignition are way forward

Laptops and expensive parts?
So the carbs, manifold, gaskets, electronic ignition module and all the time in labour are...what...cheap?
And you don't have a laptop laying around?
Riiiight...
As for reliability, seems to me there are 10s of thousands of FI/ECU bike s out there working just fine.
What about emissions requirements in those countries where it applies?

Don't get me wrong, I have worked on carbs and had very good results tuning them but to rip FI out in favour of carbs...just don't get it.
The FI system gives a MUCH greater ability to fine tune over a wide range of loads and conditions.

That said...glad to hear your carb retrofit is working well :)

Instead of a carb, which isn't flawless, you could just remove that technology and carry a gas soaked rag. Add as much or little fuel as you want for tuning. :devil:

Instead of a carb, which isn't flawless, you could just remove that technology and carry a gas soaked rag. Add as much or little fuel as you want for tuning. :devil:

We had looked at that route but opening the top of the tank to dip the rag in gas seemed tricky mid bend

LOL, you guys are too funny.

Dang high tech rags, nothing like wool and cotton eh?

Back