Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Holiday Greetings. For those asking about Black Friday/Cyber Monday specials... Since we're such a tiny operation, it's tough to offer much... But we're again offering free shipping on $99+ orders to our U.S. customers on any in stock GTM product! Now through Monday at midnight, PST. Use POST-COVID-FREE discount code at checkout on our online Store link above - We truly appreciate your support. PLEASE Support small businesses!

Reverse shifter for Vintage Guzzi

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by shawn maloney, Feb 18, 2019.

1. shawn maloney

shawn maloney Just got it firing!

Recently purchased a 1971 Ambassador and looking for a reverse shifter in order to enable 1/down, 3/up gear shifting. I understand that a guy named Stephen Brenton used to make one before retiring.
    Does anyone know an alternate source or have a suggestion for another solution. Thanks,

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Perhaps you can find him online. Pic below of the shifter, looks pretty simple. I have a CNC plasma, and can cut simple shapes if you have a pattern made.

SBrenton-Shifter.JPG

3. shawn maloney

Thanks for the quick response...
    Unfortunately, there are only pictures of how the device fits on the existing shifter arm as well as the part itself. The only dimension provided is the inner bore so not sure how to best guesstimate the other dimensions as per the below link.

thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_transmission_-_reverse_the_shift_pattern_by_using_a_shift_offset_bracket.html

4. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If you want to send me the shift arm, I can make you something that works. I can't machine the bolt together part, but we can make an arm that we can weld on for you. Ping me direct email if so; Todd at GuzziTech.com

5. Amboman

Amboman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Shawn: Do check to make sure you have room to use the S.O.B. On Eldos it's no problem, but on an Ambo, flipping the shift arm on the back of the transmission could cause clearance issues between the shift linkage and clutch arm.

6. shawn maloney

Amboman,
    Thank you for the heads up...I am still trying to find a potential solution...or I may just try to teach this old dog new tricks by shifting in the opposite direction.
    Shawn

7. Harry H

Harry H Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I just found one by posting on the Loopframe group on Yahoo, also posted on the Guzzi parts for sale on Facebook and 2 other people have extra ones.
    Here is a link facebook.com/groups/898627433562137/

Todd, hope its ok to post a link here. If not I'll take it off.

Try

8. shawn maloney

Hi Harry,
    Thanks for the information.
    I don't have access to Facebook. Is it possible for you to send me the contacts for the 2 people that have the parts.
    Much appreciate it...
    Shawn

9. Amboman

Amboman Cruisin' Guzzisti

Check out the info. on Greg Bender's website: thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_shift_linkage_-_foot_pegs_and_a_4_speed_transmission.html

"I gave up on the shift offset bracket. The clearances were so tight around the shift arm, that I couldn't get the adjustment I needed for the clutch to disengage properly (see photos below). I'm certain that it works great on the Eldo 5 speed...but things are just too tight on the left side of the 4 speed."
    [​IMG]

10. shawn maloney

Hi Charlie,
    Thanks for the additional information...the shift offset bracket doesn't sound promising...
    Shawn