Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Rexxer ECU Tuning?

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Dave Martino, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Dave Martino

Dave Martino Just got it firing!

Anyone have experience with this tuner? Considering dealer install on 2017 MG California Touring. Looking to eliminate or minimize "backfiring" as a result of Mistral Carbon Fiber muffler install. Any thoughts would be most welcome and very much appreciated. THANK YOU!

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I know most everyone doesn’t bother at all to look around on the forums here, even just a little. But when you do, you will see I offer many solutions in the online Store linked above under the Fueling section.
    The Rexxer map is an absolute joke, and isn’t worth the just postage to get the unit to you. My kit is dyno proven.

3. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

I spoke to a person at AF1 Racing when I bought my bike and he didn't recommend it then. 2015.
    Also a local shop had a bike in that was having issues after the Rexxer tune was installed. The dual plugs weren't firing at low speeds.

Dave Martino likes this.
  4. Dave Martino

Thanks Todd! Ok, so the guys at Seacoast in New Hampshire where i bought the bike...can they install your product and provide support? Not sure I have the skills to install myself. i just want to reduce the "backfiring" caused by the installation of Mistral mufflers running without db killers. I'm complete newbie to MG, so forgive my lack of knowledge!

5. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I did my own install of the full GT-Rx fuelling kit a few years ago. There are detailed instructions with photos to guide you. The skillset required is pretty standard, meaning as long as you work carefully and take your time, it is not difficult. You will do much better than cure backfiring. The improvement is startling.

Stephen

ZClark73 likes this.
  6. Dave Martino

That's great info Stephen! Can you please share exactly which unit you purchased? Again, I'm completely new to MG, so big learning curve for me. Thanks!

7. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I also fitted the same kit as many others here (PCV + AT 300 + Flash Tool ) (see https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-pc-v-at300-ecu-flash-tool/ for the product and here for the installation instructions https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...nstall-how-to-for-your-california-1400.13264/).

Not only does it liberate more power across the board, it really smooths out the delivery at lower RPM ( <2500) and cures the backfire. I also recommend the "air box mod" as it's cheap and easy and makes a great noise. You can read about many of these mods/ideas here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/forums/cal-14-reference-topics-recalls.225/

blakbird likes this.
  8. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

What Paul said.
    Go to the Store on this site, click on '1400' and have a browse.
    You already have Mistrals.
    I added Todd's Full Exhaust system.

Have a read of the links.
    It looks a bit involved at first, but it is a methodical process.
    As long as you take care with your connections and colour coded wires etc you will be fine. At the end, there is a checking process to make sure you did it all properly.

The best part is that when you email Todd to ask for help, you get well looked after.

I would advise, if you go ahead, to start the work when you won't need the bike the next day, that is, don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure to finish the install by an unreasonable deadline.

You will need to do some 50km rides and send the Autotune trims to Todd so he can check that everything is good. (This process was fantastic on my bike).

Stephen

GTM® likes this.
  9. chrisjoffe

chrisjoffe Just got it firing!

I had my local dealer install the full fueling kit + air-filter + airbox mod. I bought the parts and they did the work. It made EVERYTHING about the powerband and throttle response better.

CJ

ZClark73, PaulDavies and GTM® like this.
  10. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson High Miler GT Contributor

I don’t know anything about Rexxer or their product so can only speak from personal experience. After installing the Gt-Rx fuel mod and running the bike for a while, duly sent off the Auto tune trims to Todd which were corrected (if required) and returned promptly if not the same day. Same as after fitting a BMC filter and modified air box, and more recently after installing V-Performance mufflers.
    Would you receive the same level of service from Rexxer?
    Although I purchased the air filter and mufflers locally!!! Todd has been more than supportive in ensuring that the trims have been calibrated to ensure optimum performance.
    Not taking sides, just stating fact.

Rickhinnz and ZClark73 like this.