• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rocker Arms: Any; High Performance & Lighter?

Chris,

Again, great advice and intel. 100% with ya on the opening being key for them Carb/Manifold/Heads.
And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna send Jay after some 36ers. 32's are harder to find, 40 are over the top,
and I think with his idea of a High Comp 950cc kit will work great togather.

I think I'll have him Dual plug aswell, like said, it'll make them T3's heads work better without having to
do any reshaping. Heads are going out one way or another for mods, and ya have to buy nicer coils anyways.
Dual plugs it is.

Love Agustini myself as well, just not the slow responses and or lack of having my 992 kit anymore, cause that
hurt when it was time to rebuild after my last Kaa'Bang! Had to shell out some big donuts to J&B pistons for the cloning.
Think I'll have Jay go with thier H/C 950 kit.

Cam wise? With some light T3 headwork & the dual pluging, 36ers and 950 kit, and this being a two up Street Rod, what profile Cam should he go with on this build? I have "Norris SS" in mine, but I think that would be over the top here.

Oh, lastly Chris, between the Lemans and T3 Heads, whats the biggest design difference between these two's Dome Shape and Size? If I remember right, the Lemans are just flatter and dropped, but its been a long time since I've seen mine with thier stock shape.
el jedi

Twin plugging is not hard on the round head - the square head is another matter. If you buy coils such as the Dynas make sure they are 3 ohm or more if you are running a dyna. Charlie Rice was a big advocate of reshaping the heads which makes me wary. You need a really good welder to begin with. Again a flow bench is essential as it will effect the flow - maybe for the better, maybe for worse if you do it wrong.

I am not really the person to talk to about cams - most cams IMO just move the peak BMEP up or down. Now with all the advanced software and CNC grinding, the design of the cam profile is not such a big deal and the designer has a pretty good idea on how much ramp to put in and remain reliable. I am using a Megacycle X10 and I would say it is slightly revier than the old SS. I chose it mainly because it is made from a new billet and seems properly heat treated. It ain't cheap .

THey used to do weldups and regrinds and I gather they learned the hard way how to do it right so that is my reasoning. Todd sells them along with trick coated lifters so if you want to give Todd a call and support the site. I don't know about the coatings but I do know that OEM guzzi cam lifters frequently pit and it is critical to put new lifters or resurfaced lifters in when you put the new cam in (and slather the buggers with moly). The cam is the most difficult component to break in in the whole engine.

Some people have reported snarky dealings with megacycle - I had exactly the opposite experience where I spent two hours talking to the man about cam design.

Yes getting the Gilardoni kits has been a pain of late - you have to understand that they do them in batches during downtimes as a time filler and maybe the logic of that no longer makes sense to their business- and Agostini has no control over that. At least if you order from Agos they can go and knock on their door and see what is up.

Another T3 reincarnation

Hey jedi, thanks for posting some questions about my (our!) build....and to those who have provided great insight. I think this thread should be re-named "how to hot-rod a roundfin" :)

I finally got my ass back online and re-created a guzzitech account. I'm having to break out my guzziology and search all the forums to learn about older tonti's do's/don't. I've dug deep enough to know about Roper's opinion of timing gears and inputs from a variety of other experts. It's been fun and I'm starting to buy parts to fit my vision. I should have the engine out and on the workbench later today to start the tear down.

Regarding 950 (or similar) Nikasil kits, I've not been able to track any down thus far....getting the impression Gilardoni hasn't made any batches lately. As far as I know, Agostini has the same supplier from the across town Gilardoni. I stopped by Agostini earlier this Summer, Alis sold the dealership and retired in 2009....I wasn't aware of that. Nicola was of great help though.

I've started talking to guzzi-experienced machinists for big bore, head work, balancing, dual-pluggin, flywheel lightening, etc.....starting with Mike Rich. It sounds like he can bore my old chrome jugs out to (depending on the condition of the wall) 86.5 or 88 and have them Nikasil plated. Believe he uses JE pistons, but not positive. Harper's said they could do a similar bore/nikasil job but wanted to start with a new Gilardoni 850 kit. All for about the same as new set of Gilardoni big bore if they were available....though Mike's kit would be a higher compression piston than the Gilardoni kit. Mike also recommended the X9 or X10 cam....though with the X10 he said he'd have to sink the valves to prevent valve clash and use V11 era lifters....I wasn't otherwise aware of either of these two nuances from my research. So as the $$$ starts adding up, I'm having to weigh my options on how far to take the 30 year old tractor engine. :)

Ok, less talk and more wrenching for now. Really great to hear your inputs.

Cheers,
Jason

edit: just saw Chris R's post above as I was writing this. Chris, can you give me any insight on the X10 and what head work you had to do, if any, to use it?

Chris R said:
Yes getting the Gilardoni kits has been a pain of late - you have to understand that they do them in batches during downtimes as a time filler and maybe the logic of that no longer makes sense to their business- and Agostini has no control over that. At least if you order from Agos they can go and knock on their door and see what is up.

I have it from reliable sources that Gilardoni had a contract to make cylinders for the BMW factory a couple of years ago that took away all capacity for making bores for odd ol'Guzzis. I've heard that the producrion of "our" stuff has been taken up again lately and they're now becoming available again. Same thing apparently happened for the same reasons to Lafranconi silencers that went missing from the shelves as new bits some time ago.

Aloha Chris, and welcome back my brother Jay,

Dyna are a must, I have them with my E.I, and they make life great, so Jay, its all a matter of deciding if thats
your path... it will be though, lol.

Chris, can't remember who did my heads (shaping/grinding), this would be way back in the early 90's.
Though he was "The guy" in the SoCal area. I'm sure I could find out who if I dug through my storage and endless Guzzi stuff. So far, I've loved my Megacycle SS Cams and always had a great experience with the guys at Mega Cycle. But I haven't ever had the chance to compare my Cam to any of the new ones out there (X10) ride wise, currious though,it'll be a matter of once Sean opens her up for me, and decides where we're at... I didn't see any damage down there, but I'll let him dig deeper. Mostly because now I'm curious about them new lifters and the idea of Cad built cams, opposed to, like you said, all the old school guessing. I'm long over do for giving Racer X a ping, so I'll hit him up for some Cam info.

Mahalo Rolf for all the good to hear intel about Gilardoni & or Agustini... That makes total Italian sense, and is great news for
all us Guzzi heads out there.

Wife is screamen "Its Dinner Time!!!" So I gots to jett, Aloha for now.
el jedi

Back