• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rocker Cover Gaskets

Rugar

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Does anyone have a link to the Website that has the rocker cover gaskets that if I remember right, were life time guaranteed? I believe they were silicone gaskets? There was a link posted a long time ago on the old board and I had it bookmarked, but my old hardrive crashed and I lost everything. A search on this board is turning up nadda.

Thanks

YBFAST wrote:
I remember the same thread. I'm not sure but it may have been these guys
http://www.realgaskets.com/files/motorc ... #motoguzzi
but the image doesn't match my memory :unsure:

That's them. I've been using their gaskets (never replaced) in my Cal2 for over twenty years. They're a little deformed here and there, and some of the holes have been enlarged a bit by stretching, but they still work just fine. I suppose I could send the set in to see how well they back up their warrenty, but based on my experience, I'd say they're justified in claiming these to be lifetime gaskets.

Seems like a great idea for a bike that needs valves adjusted every 2000 miles. I'm going to look into these. Thanks for pointing them out!

--Tim

tpc wrote:
Seems like a great idea for a bike that needs valves adjusted every 2000 miles. I'm going to look into these. Thanks for pointing them out!

--Tim

Nothing wrong with checking, but I hope your valves don't need adjusting every 2,000 miles. I check mine every 6,000 miles, which matches the interval I use for changing the transmission and rear drive box oil. Mine haven't changed for the last 100,000 miles, but I keep checking anyway.

When you get them, remember that the key thing with these silicone gaskets is to not over-torque them. They're very squishy things, and the required torque isn't much more than finger tight.

OOOOH! I see they also have the oilpan gasket. Has anyone tried those or have an opinion on them. I get tired of replacing mine every time I change oil and filter. I don't like the ''outsider before you mention it.

Silverhorse347 wrote:
OOOOH! I see they also have the oilpan gasket. Has anyone tried those or have an opinion on them. I get tired of replacing mine every time I change oil and filter. I don't like the ''outsider before you mention it.

As much as I love the silicone valve cover gasket, I have replaced my pan gasket just one time since I bought the bike in 1985, and that was only after I accidently tore it twenty years ago. What happens to yours that makes you have to replace it every time? I agree with you that doing so would be a real bother!

RealGaskets are an excellent product, i've used them on several bikes. One word of caution; the gaskets are considerably thicker than OEM and if over compressed can cause interference issues with internal bits.

Kurt

Daniel Kalal wrote:
Silverhorse347 wrote:

As much as I love the silicone valve cover gasket, I have replaced my pan gasket just one time since I bought the bike in 1985, and that was only after I accidently tore it twenty years ago. What happens to yours that makes you have to replace it every time? I agree with you that doing so would be a real bother!

I don't know what I do, but just about every time it tears some where. The first time I did it after buying the bike I don't think the previous owner ever did it and I could not get the pan off, it was about twelve degrees outside and ten in my work shop.
When it goes back together I snug everything up a little beter than hand tight and then torgue to 20in/lbs twice. Then fill with oil, start bike and let warm up, then retorque.

I have one of their oil pan gaskets on my Jackal, but I am going to replace it with a paper one because you should not jack up the front wheel with the bike on your work stand by putting the jack under the sump if you have one of their squishy gaskets installed.

Do NOT ask me how I know this.

I do like them on my valve covers however.

-Jack

I am surprised you tear your gaskets (almost) every time. I rarely have this problem. First time I took my T3 apart it did tear because it had glued itself to the aluminium in places. I cleaned up the surfaces really well. I used a new gasket. I grease (any general purpose grease) all of the surfaces both sides and refit the same gasket every time. No leaks (unless I re-use crush washers more than once or twice).
I think the grease stops sticking / drying out.
Bit like putting fat in a frying pan before you cook your bacon & egg.

Geoff

Silverhorse347 wrote:
I don't know what I do, but just about every time it tears some where. The first time I did it after buying the bike I don't think the previous owner ever did it and I could not get the pan off, it was about twelve degrees outside and ten in my work shop.
When it goes back together I snug everything up a little beter than hand tight and then torgue to 20in/lbs twice. Then fill with oil, start bike and let warm up, then retorque.
Interesting... on my 1100i I never replaced the tapit gasgets in over 40,000km's but my V11 shits them often and mid ride.
Im thinking the latest batch are crap quality?

For what its worth I spray one side with permatex high tack and stick it to whatever and then grease the unsprayed side - moly grease does a nice job but any old grease ought to do. High Tack is nice because it holds stuff in place, seals but is easily removable.

Do this and you will not need a new gasket everytime - at least I don't.

ChrisR

Daniel Kalal wrote:
tpc wrote:

--Tim

Nothing wrong with checking, but I hope your valves don't need adjusting every 2,000 miles. I check mine every 6,000 miles, which matches the interval I use for changing the transmission and rear drive box oil. Mine haven't changed for the last 100,000 miles, but I keep checking anyway.

I didn't mean I actually adjust them every 2000 miles, but that is the checking interval called for in the 850-T Owners Manual. Is it generally considered safe to not check them this often?

--Tim

Christofero wrote:
For what its worth I spray one side with permatex high tack and stick it to whatever and then grease the unsprayed side - moly grease does a nice job but any old grease ought to do. High Tack is nice because it holds stuff in place, seals but is easily removable.

Do this and you will not need a new gasket everytime - at least I don't.

ChrisR

I do the same thing, but a "low tech" version: one side goes on dry, and the other has a little of whatever grease I've got. Makes the gasket re-usable and easy to deal with.

Joe

Thanks all good tips, I tend to go dry on my gaskets unless it has been a leaky item. My v-cover gaskets are three years old and have been through 2 sets of v-covers. I know have V11 covers....... way cool on an older machine I think. Thanks and come filter time I'll try some cam break'in lube I have it is pretty sticky and should release OK.

tpc wrote:
Daniel Kalal wrote:

Nothing wrong with checking, but I hope your valves don't need adjusting every 2,000 miles. I check mine every 6,000 miles,

I didn't mean I actually adjust them every 2000 miles, but that is the checking interval called for in the 850-T Owners Manual. Is it generally considered safe to not check them this often?

--Tim[/quote]

Daniel, isn't your bike a Norge, which calls for every 6k like all the new bikes? My T3 calls for 2k like Tim's T, but I've gone to 3k because-well, they barely change if at all at 2k, & 3K is what they call for on my slightly newer but still very similar 1000S. Tim, if you check them every 2 but they are barely changing, & esp going looser rather than tighter, then no reason not to try going a little longer. Now, it's been quite a lot of miles since the last time the heads were off on my T3; if I have reason to take them off again, I'll check more often until I am sure they have settled down.

guzzibob wrote:

Daniel, isn't your bike a Norge, which calls for every 6k like all the new bikes?[/quote]

No, I've got a Cal2 (and a Daytona which doesn't even use a gasket). But, as the Cal2 has nearly 300,000 miles everything has pretty well settled down as far as adjustments go. I only check the gap out of habit, I guess.

So does anyone know if the WEB SITE description 1971-1981 V700, 750 SPORT, 750S, V850, 850T, 850-T3 ROUND HEAD ROCKER BOX gaskets on their site will fit a current 750 small block ?, if so I would like to get these.

Back