• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rod Lengths

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
Greetings fellow Guzzi mavens,

I am headed towards a 76 Lemans makeover for Land Speed Racing. My fantasy is a short stroke and WAY oversquare combination. The class will be 1000cc P-PP.

The idea would be to use an Ambassador crank and 95mm pistons (=1000cc if my cackle-ate-her is correct). Today's concern is max pressure at crank angle etc. or... how long a con rod.

I have the stroke specs (78mm vs. 70mm) but am interested in the con rod legnths. I haven't taken the Lemans apart yet (still negotiating space in a frined's shop), but will measure that one once I do the work.

The concept I wish to explore is getting high HP at high RPM (for a Guzzi). This, like all racing modifications, is a complex issue with an unlimited number of sceanearios to consider. Today I am concentration on rod length for max power.

So ... anyone know the rod legnths for an Ambassador and a 850 Lemans?

I'll need to get the cylinder legnth of an Ambassador as well. I want to position the max pressure in the cylinder at the most advantagoeus crank angle. Seems that the Ambassador cyl. length (height?) will be shorter than the Lemans.

Thanks for any ideas,

Alex

No. The 750's all used pistons with a higher deck height. Rod lengths were all the same, (Although construction changed a bit over time.). I've got a pair of 4mm over-length Carilos I used in my hot rod if you'd like to play with them? They're only small-bolters but I used to rev that to 10,000 or close enough, (At those speeds VE drops off severely and the oil pump cavitates. Be warned.) and they never let go.

Pete

Hey Pete, thanks for the note.

I plan on using the 750 Ambassador crank with Lemans cylinders, case etc. The engine should look like a stock 76 Lemans but will have a short stroke crank and huge pistons.

Were the 750 Ambassador rods the same length as Lemans' 850?

If this hair brained scheme of mine progresses to the point of actual assembly, those 4mm longer Carrillos might be perfect for me.

Longer rods will influence multiple engine relationships. I found this article useful to me
http://www.stahlheaders.com/Lit_Rod Length.htm This may be old news to you but it's virgin territory to me. I'm still trying to get it all sorted out.

Alex

Alex

Cool project.

If you really want to go for P-PP use a Lemans4. 40mm carbs...... Lemans 1 = 36mm. Big restriction. :shock:

For what you would spend on doing a short stroke, big bore engine you can buy a MK 4 and then talk to Bill Ross on MK 4 hot-rodding...... :D

I think I'll avoid atempting to compete with Team Stubby Crowbar. :whistle: Those guys go out and actually break records!

Back