Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Rode My First California - Wow

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Poppe, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I happened to be test riding the new Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC yesterday and the shop had a later model (my guess is 2015+) California that we could try too. What a freaking blast.

This was my first time riding a "big" bike. My experience with all bikes had been sub 1000cc and sub 550lb bike (except for a test ride on the 1250GS). The California was massive compared to my v7 but also insanely stable. Just a blast to romp around on the test ride. The power never seemed to stop either. It had Mistrals on and boy did they let loose in the high RPMS. My v7 is very nimble thanks to Guzzitech with some modifications, but I was really surprised how the California through it's weight into the corners. I kept getting that fluttering of the stomach as my instincts kept telling me it can't hold this line, and it always did.

Every single person that was rode it that day came back with a biggest grin on their face.

I just wanted to share how great of a time it was and how jealous I am of you all rolling with the big bikes from Guzzi.

2. ssmith996

ssmith996 Tuned and Synch'ed

My California was also my first heavy bike experience. I have 3 Ducati sportbikes and still enjoy those as well, but my California is a very relaxing ride. I love it!

Poppe likes this.
  3. Poppe

That's quite the list you have there. The California feels like you could ride it for days and still be comfortable.

But I have to say, your Le Mans is where it's at. That's the dream.

ssmith996 likes this.
  4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

They can certainly be made to work impressively well for a 800+ lb bike. I had one in my rental fleet for 1.5 years. Biggest and best thing to do is to put on a 180 rear tire. Same with the V7; exhaust, fueling and suspension also makes it light-years better. Now imagine that motor hot-rodded and half the weight. ;)

Quattroa4m, ssmith996 and Poppe like this.
  5. Poppe

It felt heavy but it actually didn’t feel that heavy. Had no idea it was that heavy! I bet a rear tire like that with all the normal stuff we all have you do (suspension, exhaust, mapping) and bay bike would be an all out national screamer from coast to coast like a Cadillac v series.

Quattroa4m and GT-Rx® like this.
  6. ssmith996

I thought the Custom dry weight was around 660 pounds. I could be mistaken.

7. Poppe

On a google search I see it at 707lbs dry weight. Crazy difference to my v7 which is significantly lighter than stock from Guzzitech's upgrades haha.

ssmith996 likes this.
  8. ssmith996

I actually like the fact that it is heavier. I find it advantageous when carrying a passenger. I always HATED carrying a passenger on my sportbikes. With this California, I barely notice she is on the back....

Poppe likes this.
  9. Poppe

I can see that. I definitely don't care for riding two up on my v7 on the high way with my already being over weight. That's actually waiting for the v85tt. If it feels like it'd struggle with the occasional two up, then I'll go with a Stelvio or a Griso (need to test ride both). But I imagine you could pack a family on the california, the power just never stopped.

ssmith996 likes this.
  10. Poppe

How long have you had your California? Is it your daily?

11. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Dry weight: 322.0 kg / 709.9 pounds
    Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 370.0 kg / 815.7 pounds

Quattroa4m, Poppe and ssmith996 like this.
  12. ssmith996

I have had my California for 2 years, but I do live in Wisconsin. That means I can only ride 6 months out of the year. I put the most miles on the California, followed by the Ducati 1200S Monster. The Ducati 996 is used for shorter, sportbike rides. I bought the Ducati 851 new in 1992, and now is rarely ridden. I usually just admire it while smoking a fine Honduran cigar and drinking a single malt. :)

Quattroa4m, Glenn Thorpe and Poppe like this.
  13. Blaufeld

Blaufeld Tuned and Synch'ed

A fine view from your main control room, while sitting in your coach next the acquarium with poisonous indian blowfishes and petting your albino tiger... :D

ssmith996, Poppe and Guzzi_Lou like this.
  14. Vintagehoarder

Vintagehoarder Tuned and Synch'ed

Love me some California's

[​IMG]

15. Poppe

That's an awesome color!

16. Blaufeld

Blaufeld Tuned and Synch'ed

Very nice!!!!

Poppe likes this.
  17. Didier