Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Rode two new Triumphs

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by heyzeus, Jul 16, 2017.

1. heyzeus

heyzeus Tuned and Synch'ed

So I rode the new Triumph Bobber and the Street twin. One was the 1200ht motor. The other was a 900ht motor. Both well executed. The Bobber I did not like until I rode it. After that I kinda fell in love with it. The motor is fantastic. The 900 motor has a power band similar to the new V7 III. Triumph has really improved with there new line of bikes. So I now have a harder decision. A new V7 III or a new bonny. The V7 is priced so much better. Plus I love Guzzi. Although I have never owned a Triumph. I need to stop buying bikes. I have a problem.

2. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

if you want to stop for gas every 75 miles the Triumphs are nice. I prefer the 250 miles on the V7. that's also why I didn't buy a roamer even though I liked it better.

3. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ease of maintenance/service, shaft drive, more fuel range,and lighter weight tip the scale in favor of the Guzzi V7 for me, but I wish they had a stronger dealer network. As always........ your priorities may differ.

Paul

4. The Arrow

The Arrow Just got it firing!

the new street twin has a 12L tank but very efficient and many can do 2 hours (~150 miles) between stops. Still in addition to what raodscum mentioned, I like air cooled V twins. Weight is a turn off for me for triumph new street twin & the Bonneville.

here is a thought: go to a Triumph/Guzzi dealer and put the bikes next to each other then pick one, p.s. leave your wallet at home :)

5. heyzeus

You guys act like I can have only one girlfriend. I am lucky and fortunate to own many bikes. This would be an additional bike not a replacement bike.

6. blakbird

blakbird Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

heyzeus, Are you seriously considering introducing a brit into your Italian thoroughbred stable?

JUST KIDDING.

Variety is the spice of life. Your stable, your choice, your money. Go with your gut.

7. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Looking at the ponies in your corral I'd say why not a Triumph.
    However I "borrowed" a Triumph (America?) from a local dealer and was able to put some miles on it.
    After about an hour it got kinda boring.
    No complaints about the bike it ran & handles as well as I expected it to but it just didn't hold my attention very long.

DK-V7classic likes this.
  8. John Backlund

John Backlund Tuned and Synch'ed

I'll bet money that I'll own a new T120 Bonneville by no later than this time next year.

9. DK-V7classic

DK-V7classic Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

That is the exact reason why i bought the v7 classic instead of a Bonnie.

The balance is perfekt and it sticks to the road, and engine is super smooth... In other words "booring as hell"

I like the feel of a rumbling engine, and the skill requirements needed to make a guzzi bend perfekt.

Anyone can ride a Triumph. Booring...

10. John Backlund

Anyone can ride either, both are very easy to ride, and both require minimal skills to have a good time on.

After a few thousand miles on my Guzzi, one of my thoughts is that the V7 is an almost perfect 'entry level' motorcycle rather than, say, a Sportster 883.

11. DK-V7classic

John Backlund, post: 133010, member: 17945"]Anyone can ride either, both are very easy to ride, and both require minimal skills to have a good time on.

After a few thousand miles on my Guzzi, one of my thoughts is that the V7 is an almost perfect 'entry level' motorcycle rather than, say, a Sportster 883.[/QUOTE]

I dont agree

Yes anyone can ride either, obviously.

But to make the v7 gently Kiss the tarmack with its pegs, you have to work.
    The Bonnie almost automaticly bends the corners, With litle to no effort. Less skill is needed.

Or maybe its just me becorse of my weight 95 kg.

12. John Backlund

I don't buy my motorcycles to have a wrestling match with them in the curves to feel I've 'Mastered' them. I much prefer a machine that works with me as much as possible, and if a bike feels like it's reading your mind and turns with little drama and effort, I'm all for it.

What you're actually saying with this statement is that the Bonneville is a better motorcycle, and can be ridden harder and faster than the Guzzi V7 III Special can with the same, or less, effort, because the Guzzi has inferior suspension to the Triumph and because of that, the Guzzi is more challenging to ride well.

If the Triumph bores you at the speeds the Guzzi is a challenge at, just open the Triumph's throttle until a higher level of challenge is found. Be assured, it's there.

Regardless of all this back and forth about the V7 and Triumph, I don't have any complaints about my V7's handling, it is what it is, it's not the best, and if it becomes detrimental to my enjoyment of the bike I'll spend some dollars and upgrade things until I'm happy with it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  13. DK-V7classic

If you want a booring effortless bike, the Bonnie is Absolutely the better choice.

If you want a bike that is rare, has character, is a fun challenging ride and you will not see one infront of every wannabe hipster Caffè .
    Then you buy a guzzi. And you have money to spare for some great gear, that will last aslong as the guzzi.

My thoughts.

14. John Backlund

Well, having owned a 2002 Triumph T-100 Bonneville for a number of years, and counting it among the top ten of the fifty-eight motorcycles that I've owned, I must admit that your negativity towards such a great-looking, great running, machine does confound me a bit, especially because it's from a person who likes the V7 so much. The bikes have much more in common than they have differences, particularly when compared to the machines offered by other makers.

I don't think I've never encountered someone who disparaged a particular motorcycle because of it's relative competency, but that's ok, we like what we like.

The 1200cc Triumph T120 Bonneville will remain at the top of my 'must buy' list, and it will live happily alongside my V7.

Cheers!

DK-V7classic likes this.
  15. John Backlund

For the record, I have zero interest in the 900cc Bonneville, I'm only interested in the six-speed 1200.

DK-V7classic likes this.
  16. heyzeus

Well I bought a 2018 Triumph Bobber. I just could not get it out of my head. I love the ride and the look. Funny thing was I did not like the look until I rode it. Riding it changed something inside of me. It really is a great bike. I carry a small fuel tank with me in the saddle bags to compensate for the low tank range.

Attached Files:

17. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Looks like a 70 Bonneville also lurking in your garage. I had one from new, best looking one they ever produced IMHO. I sold it to buy a Trident, I wish I had enough money to keep both but times were hard. No Triumphs now.

heyzeus likes this.
  18. heyzeus

Not my garage, that was at the dealer before I picked it up.

19. John Backlund

Probably this one....
    IMG_20170809_100907961_HDR.jpg

It's a 2018 T120 that I saw when we stopped at Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa during our imprompu 'Escape The Sturgis Rally' car trip eastwards to Minnesota and Iowa.

This is about as close to a 'must have' motorcycle as I've seen in the past decade....not counting my new V7 III Special, of course.

heyzeus likes this.
  20. heyzeus

I love the green color. Very pretty