• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rollerization

Yep would be much easier if new parts were delivered first, but I was just glad to have the parts supplied by the factory. But it's not that difficult to make sure that you are at TDC on compression stroke by inserting a straw or something similar down the sparkplug hole and checking if valves are closed when the pistont reaches TDC as can be seen by the travel of the straw. Check this against marking on cam gear which should also line up. I then pull the bung on the flywheel and put a mark on the flywheel that can be verified when TDC is reached again.

If the cam is install 360 degrees out, TDC with valves closed on the compression stroke is still 360 degrees out. The ONLY way to know, is to look at the cam gear on the FRONT relative to the crank position. Looking at the flywheel might show TDC, but you still need to verify compression stroke versus exhaust stroke.

back to start on this one - set left to TDC, got the stud to 'proper' 6 o'clock, set the valves. then did same for right side. i was pretty convinced that the chains didnt move as i had them tied up so didnt think they had slipped at bottom. hand cranked it loads of times and checked both sides at TDC for valve gaps - all ok.

Pushed button, started first time, bit of spluttering for two seconds then settled to a steady hum, very quiet compared to previously. left it to warm up then gently blipped the throttle - all sounds good. took the rockers back of and let it cool down. hand cranked it again to check valves at TDC, no change.

now to drop the sump and clean it out, flush through and then fill with new 10w60 and filter - then get all the panels back on.

i will probably go back to paranoia every time i start the bike up and listening to every noise. when i get it back on run it will check valves every couple of days for a couple of weeks just to make sure nothing is changing.

once again - many thanks to all

Excellent news. Hard to kill these things.

Just one question, out of curiosity, was it the valve gaps that were out or you had moved the chains on the cam gear the first time.

Did you just ensure that the pin was at 6:00 proper and then just adjust the valves, or did you have to rotate the cam gear on the chain (ie. moved a couple of teeth).

i did everything on left, making sure stud was at the real 6 o'clock and then i had to move the sprocket on right side one maybe two teeth after finding TDC on compression. the valve settings were fine

Except i cant get the bloody sump off. 14 bolts removed but just cant get it to seperate and dont want to use too much force in case i crack it. I know the Cali has hidden bolts but the Norge doesnt ?

What am i missing or do i just hit it a whack

Just some FYI on the rollerization. I sent all of the required photos and information any dealer would send Guzzi on doing this job. I only asked for reimbursement of the dealer cost of the parts, not even what I paid, and offered that could be a credit to AF1 Racing as I know I'll spend that again. After 6 weeks of hearing nothing after 2 emails I called today. I was told that since a dealer did not take my bike apart, let it sit while Guzzi debated paying then reassemble with me maybe paying parts, labor or both then it wasn't warranty and non reimbursable. Exactly what I thought I would hear but the worst they could do was exactly that so I tried. The killer is I have 2 local dealers (1-1/2 hours). One did not want to touch it as they did one and Guzzi refused to pay. The other told me if Guzzi did pay it would be parts only and I would pay about $1,000 in labor plus figure 3 months turn around. I figure I paid the $1,000 and did the work myself so my bike was not down for 3 months with MAYBE they will pay. I have dealt with Guzzi enough to bet the odds were not in my favor.

Rudy, you did the right thing. Either way you would have paid money and now you can be assured that it was done correctly. Depending on the dealer, it can be a real crapshoot whether or not they did it right.

Just some FYI on the rollerization. I sent all of the required photos and information any dealer would send Guzzi on doing this job. I only asked for reimbursement of the dealer cost of the parts, not even what I paid, and offered that could be a credit to AF1 Racing as I know I'll spend that again. After 6 weeks of hearing nothing after 2 emails I called today. I was told that since a dealer did not take my bike apart, let it sit while Guzzi debated paying then reassemble with me maybe paying parts, labor or both then it wasn't warranty and non reimbursable. Exactly what I thought I would hear but the worst they could do was exactly that so I tried. The killer is I have 2 local dealers (1-1/2 hours). One did not want to touch it as they did one and Guzzi refused to pay. The other told me if Guzzi did pay it would be parts only and I would pay about $1,000 in labor plus figure 3 months turn around. I figure I paid the $1,000 and did the work myself so my bike was not down for 3 months with MAYBE they will pay. I have dealt with Guzzi enough to bet the odds were not in my favor.

That's the Guzzi plan .... On mine, I was working with a good dealer, albeit one who had not done a roller conversion before. I left the bike at the dealer, they took the tappets out, sent pictures to Guzzi, and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, Guzzi sent the shop the "C" kit, and the shop installed it. They did a good careful job on it, and now it runs great.

But it took 3 months of Guzzi dicking around and trying to find reasons not to fix what they had done wrong, and about $850 of shop labor. As a result, my wife and co-rider Fay decided that we would buy a Triumph Trophy Triple as our "go to" touring bike (which we have done); the Stelvio will be kept as a backup, and to ride to Guzzi events. V700, Ambassador, and Falcone will probably be in my future, but no more new Guzzis for me. There's a way to say "Sorry about that, we'll make it right" and Guzzi failed to do it ....

Lannis

There's a way to say "Sorry about that, we'll make it right" and Guzzi failed to do it ....

Lannis

Perfetto. :swear:

That said, I find the requirements of their shared-cost program less objectionable than what seems to me to have been their knowing sales of flat-tappet machines for many months if not more when it seems obvious that they knew that damage was inevitable and potentially catastrophic to the engine, at least.

Mine was not in that class, so I cannot object as passionately as I might were it so affected, but Piaggio engaged -- at best -- in sharp practice when it pretended not to know.

That is, IMO, revealing bit their business ethics.

Shameful.

Bill

Lannis, You paid too much, 4hrs for Stelvio & Norge and 3hrs for Griso. Down time for our shop 1-2 weeks and I only work couple days a week. Take apart & pics, following week have parts & assemblies & put stuff in.
Doing one after another, job security, just like the Hydro. It helps to have a working relationship w/Tech Rep in your area. Plus parts are right here in ATL, even then they ship direct from IT in 4days if not in stock.

The thing I wonder about is they(all models) have the same cam in the roller kit so there should only be 1 newer roller map for ign & fuel. Delta may be different. Piaggio says use the latest for ea model.

My dealer said 8-9 hours labor for a Norge. When I did it I flexed the fairing out of the way instead of removing it but I was worried how much flex it had. The only way I could think he justified the time was he removed the fairing. I had never done mechanical work like that on a Guzzi before and it didn't take 8 hours. Not sure how long though because in the middle I had to stop to wait for some missing parts.

Lannis, You paid too much, 4hrs for Stelvio & Norge and 3hrs for Griso. Down time for our shop 1-2 weeks and I only work couple days a week. Take apart & pics, following week have parts & assemblies & put stuff in.
Doing one after another, job security, just like the Hydro. It helps to have a working relationship w/Tech Rep in your area. Plus parts are right here in ATL, even then they ship direct from IT in 4days if not in stock.

Well, could be, but I was happy with the work the shop did and how they kept me in the loop. Took the bike in, went over the process with them. 2009 Stelvio with 40,000 miles, needing the "C" kit. They took out the old tappets, photoed them and sent the pics to Piaggio. Three weeks, no response, then the response from Piaggio was "We need the original warranty book evidencing that the Dealer did the required service work". Luckily, I had everything up to the point when the selling dealer went out of business (like the previous 6 Virginia dealers), so boxed that up and sent it. Four more weeks no response from Piaggio, then a request for more info, THEN they sent the shop the "C" kit. 8 hours at $90 shop rate, so really $720 labor, the rest of the bill related to the centerstand recall, oil for the change, etc.

As I said, the shop was keeping me in the loop, and that's all I really need. I understand SOME delays and changes in plans etc, but the tone of what Piaggio was doing literally sent Fay into the showroom with a checkbook to buy that Triumph.

The Stelvio just got back from a 3000 mile ride 2-up (500+ pound payload) and is running like a well-balanced sewing machine, no more "washing machine full of crescent wrenches" vibe, no more cyclic rattle from the rocker shafts or whatever that was. I may get over my Piaggio snit someday .... Meantime, it's really nice having TWO good-running transcontinental touring bikes in the shed ready to go ... !

Lannis

I may get over my Piaggio snit someday .... Meantime, it's really nice having TWO good-running transcontinental touring bikes in the shed ready to go ... !

Lannis

I might, too, but it won't be anytime soon. Very unhappy about that operation's business ethics. :devil:

That said, I do love the metal from Mandello in my garage. :inlove:

Glad yours run fine now. I feel similarly about my "new" Griso. Riding it makes me feel as if [deleted by better judgment ;)].

Bill

Still on the same old Stelvio, must have been ground pretty good at that mileage. Nice to know they did a good job for you.

Back