• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Roper's Motomoda racer - smallvalve?

rolf j

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi Pete R!
I seem to remember you mentioned way back in time that you built this race bike with rather small valves, right? What cam did you match with this setup? And will it swallow a pair of PHM40 carbs?

In the long run, say 2-3 years, I'll build a completely new engine from a square fin 1100, but meanwhile I'll have to use what pieces of ol' roundfin stuff I have in the shed to make something that can work reasonably on the track until then. A cost saving and pretty homespun effort to say the least!

I intend to use 78 crank, 88 bores and the smallvalve heads that I got available in order to keep costs down. I have a number of pistons in stock now, ranging from the flat Sp1000 up to pretty high domes (that probably will need to rest for now). The trial/error excercise now will be to find out if my Megacycle 620x8 that I have lying about will make the valves knock in the pistons by such a margin that a dremel can't fix it. The main question is really whether such a cam will have an effect in this otherwise very standard engine compared to the milder ones I have, such as the standard cam or the V7Sport?? Sinking the valves and reshaping the chamber is probably out of economical bounds for now, as well a change to bigger valves. The next issue is that I only have PHM40 carbs available. Can the small valve heads utilise such a throaty big carb? (Will of course grind the intakes to fit smoothly).
Any point making this effort at all, or perhaps better off with letting the Sp1000 mill work in standard setup until the bigger engine building project takes off?

In it's last itteration it was running mid valves front and rear. With hindsight I would prefer to re-seat the exhaust side and use the 1mm smaller valves from a smallvalver due to their better head back-shape.

You can build something pretty good out of a smallvalver. I'd suggest that while you'll be able to get the 40's to work it will be difficult to get them to work everywhere! There will be a lot of metal requiring removal from the inlet and exhaust ports too but it's all doable and worth it for shit and giggles

As for the 620X8? Not sure. You'll have to dummy it up and see if the valves tangle on overlap.

Pete

Thanks Pete! Planning continues! (for shit and giggles... I love that!! :lol: :lol: )

Note that with your 78mm crank even the V7sport cam will touch the inner conrod bolts at high revs due to the camshaft flexing, even though on the workbench you seem to have enough clearance. There are pics all over the web of the results of people that weren't aware off this fact. Just grind an angle on the bolt heads, and take some metal away, it's no big deal.
My midvalve LMII with 90mm pistons, 1:10.5 compression, 1mm squish, a V7sport camshaft and 40mm Dello's with velocity stacks went up from 57 horse to 70 rwhp, with torque between 70 and 80Nm in the 3000-7500rpm range. Very nice. With K&N's the same bike did 66rwhp but tapered off at 7000rpm.
I don't know what that Megacycle cam would do though. Good luck, JR

jurjenratsma said:
Note that with your 78mm crank even the V7sport cam will touch the inner conrod bolts at high revs due to the camshaft flexing, even though on the workbench you seem to have enough clearance. There are pics all over the web of the results of people that weren't aware off this fact. Just grind an angle on the bolt heads, and take some metal away, it's no big deal.
My midvalve LMII with 90mm pistons, 1:10.5 compression, 1mm squish, a V7sport camshaft and 40mm Dello's with velocity stacks went up from 57 horse to 70 rwhp, with torque between 70 and 80Nm in the 3000-7500rpm range. Very nice. With K&N's the same bike did 66rwhp but tapered off at 7000rpm.
I don't know what that Megacycle cam would do though. Good luck, JR

Thanks so much for the tip! I'll definately check this!
Before I had my top-end disaster by the end of the season the engine was somewhat similar to yours: midvalve heads fitted home made by the look of it and a domed psiton to make a comp somewhere in the region of yours, 88 bore, 78 crank, V7Sport cam and I set the squish at a somewhat risky "less than" 1 mm. The PO had fitted PHF36s but I ported inn a set of PHM40s which turned out to have ONLY advantages at all revs! Never tried it with KNs, but used 70mm stacks. The bike ran very well through the entire register, but seeing I need to replace so many parts now, and I in the mean time have aquired a Megacycle x8 cam, the idea of building a smallvalver came up. I have by now heard at least two racing-guzzisti having had positive experience with such a setup. Curious to see how it works! :)

Back