Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

RPM at speed in gear #

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by DeadEye, Jul 25, 2020.

1. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Hi,

I find it annoying not having a tach on the non special editions.

Can someone provide some RPM numbers for a 2017 Stone at 100km/h ( 62 mph)
    The bike seems to be happier at 110km/h ( 68 mph) in 6th gear - running smoother / fewer vibrations...

I’m trying to work out what gear / speed feels better ( on the boil - as they would say) for each gear.
    I still have the factory shift light enabled it seems to be 60km / 80km / 100km for 2nd/ 3rd / 4th
    I haven’t *found* the shift light for 5th it was above 120 Km/h - I already shifted to 6th.

Would anyone know if the harness is the same for all the bikes or are the Stone’s missing the Tach connection...
    I asked a dealer / service tech they they didn’t know.

Thanks,
    Don

2. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

All of these questions are well answered on this Forum. I really encourage everyone to spend just a little time searching instead of making us all work hard to hand them over to everyone. In short, the harnesses are different between the two models... The adding a Tach thread lives on the main page in this section as a "pinned" topic HERE. Read/skim them all from the top.

V700Steve likes this.
  3. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Thanks for the pointer to the link - I was looking to RPM references at speed.
    Not really thinking of adding a tach but wondering if the wiring harness was the same.
    I could of hunted around more for the second part of my question.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Tuned and Synch'ed

I would be annoyed without a tach as well but, I just shift wherever feels right regardless of RPM's. I'm still used to using the tach like I did on my old bike to tell me what gear I'm in (old bike didn't have a gear indicator). I have found that as I get more used to my bike I use the tach less and less.

The stock setting of the shift indicator is helpful for break in. That's it. Otherwise I found it annoying. If you are past break in I would move it up and just shift wherever work for you and your riding style. Adding a tach seems like a lot of money for a little gain (though I'm saying that as someone that has one). I would post my tach readings:gear indicated but after all the mods It really feels like my gears are taller.

5. MotoG5

MotoG5 Tuned and Synch'ed

As a rule of thumb on my tachless V9 I just check the mirrors. If it's lugging they are blurred and when not they are pretty clear. Using the mirror check and feel I have found the best speeds to run in for the gear I am in.

6. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

The Honda has no Tach or gear indicator although it does have little red marks on the speedo, but I think those are Max in gear limits ?
    Yes, I agree the RPM’s don’t really matter, but having had tach’s on the previous bikes and cars I’m used to looking for it.
    $700 for a gauge is a bit more that I have in the budget, heck for that money you could buy the Big Bore kit :clap:

Well, if you ever get tired of looking at your Tach, I’ll give you 200$ Cdn and a gallon of Maple syrup :D for it.

aproud1 likes this.
  7. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

That is somewhat part of my gauge of *engine happiness* now, when the vibrations smooth out it’s in the sweet spot. But where is that spot...

Did it really save them that much to only include it with Specials ?

8. aproud1

Not sure what those would indicate? But agree, too much money for it.

$200 Canadian? Isn't that about $49.65 USD? :p It always seems different every time we head to Canada. Now the Maple Syrup, my daughter would love that deal. She's a maple syrup junkie.

9. aproud1

On the Milano as well.

20200614_103735.jpg

10. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

My V7III Racer is happiest when it's spinning over about 4000 rpm or so, runs sweetest between 4500-6000 rpm. As a result, I rarely shift into 6th gear before about 70 mph unless I'm just droning down the highway on level ground.

DeadEye likes this.
  11. avlis

avlis Tuned and Synch'ed

You can add a cheap digital tach and hide it somewhere for about $25.

12. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Thanks