Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

RPM Hanging at stop

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by ChupaThingy, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ChupaThingy

ChupaThingy Just got it firing!

Hey guys,

Noticed lately that my V7's idle will hang a little higher than usual after iv'e been out riding and come to a stop. For some reason if I put it in neutral and let the clutch lever out it smooths out and returns to normal.

Anyone know what this could be? Iv'e lubed my throttle cables and blipped it to try and get anything that catching to smooth out but I cant figure it out. All my adjustments points are tight.

2. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

Mine does the same thing: it occasionally runs about 50-100 rpm faster than the normal idle. I think it's an anomaly of the engine management system ... It did it both with the OEM map and with the customized maps installed by the GTRx ECU Flasher. Exactly the same behavior. I mentioned it to the tech at the dealer when I brought the bike in for first service. He nodded and seemed to indicate they all do that, in not-so-many words.

It's not enough of a bug to be worried about, IMO.

3. ChupaThingy

Hmm, well good to know i'm not alone. Same here with it happening with both the stock and Gt-Rx maps.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Single throttle body V7's use an ECU/TB (off of a scooter of all things) with an onboard "stepper motor" idle circuit, so if you've ever ridden a newer one of those, the behavior is similar for CTV (automatic trans) scooter setups. It has nothing to do with the map.

ChupaThingy likes this.
  5. ChupaThingy

Interesting, so nothing to worry about eh Todd? Good to know my bike is part scooter :D

6. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

I figured it had to be something like that. Again, not a big deal ... it just occasionally idles a little high and returns to normal again after a bit.

Doesn't surprise me that the part is the same as used on a scooter. After all, it's just a throttle body, nothing really high tech about it. All it needs to do is operate the throttle butterfly and inject the fuel correctly. :) (Yes, that's a tongue-in-cheek statement... :D.)

ChupaThingy likes this.
  7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Nope, only thing is to be sure that no oil gets into it from the air box, as in the MIU ECU manual it clearly states it only is made to flow air, and should NOT be chemically cleaned or allow any other fluid into it, as the circuit board is exposed via this idle circuit. Really poor design IMO. To date, I've only had an issue with one '13 V7/ECU with the massive overcharge issue... not related to above.