• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sad day

pete roper wrote:
Make a choice. Either sell the bike, accept yopu got burned and move on or try and be bloody constructive. The hopeless ranting Nhillism gets on my tits.

The same thing I've been thinking as a general advice to anyone, and I'm sure Pete intended it the same way too ;)

As for the part being sent out? As I stated they have changed. No, I haven't seen them, I passed on verbatim what I was told. To the best of my knowledge, which may easily be inadequate, Steve's is the first one that has failed again after a fix. Once again there has been no diagnosis yet as to what went wrong.

IIRC, Steve is also the first who was affected, at least as far as Stelvio owners on this board are concerned, no? Is it possible his 1st repair was when the part hadn't been changed yet? That might be worth checking (if you're reading this Steve, when was that 1st repair again?)

(Pete, if you ever take off your tinfoil hat, Predator vs. Alien will be a moot thing! :p :silly:)

Gary, if anyone is exaggerating, it's you. Where do you get the information that this problem has or will happen to all 8 valves?
I was talking to the owner of Corsa Italiana last night. They have sold a lot of 8 valve bikes, and have not had a single problem with the valve gear reported so far on any of them. Several have got fairly high mileages too.
Now I do know that Corsa do take the PDI very seriously, and spend a lot of time doing it right. Maybe this has a bearing on the issue.

Pete, it was your posts being deleted re; trolls, deleted by Mike.
Your posts have changed since the cams in Aus went tits up too.
I support my Italian Supplier too, I worked with them since 1988.
But I dont champion them when they dont realise a problem

Oh for fucks sakes!

Gary, I've never said it wasn't happening and I've known about it both here and overseas since it first started happening. The difference between you and me is that you're running around telling everyone the sky is falling when it patently obviously isn't where as I am being entirely objective about it. All I've ever siad is that I don't think that there is a fundamantal design flaw in the motor and put forward a HOST of hypotheses as to what might be the cause but I've ALWAYS stresses that until I, or someone I trust, has carried out a PROPER analysis of the failed parts it will all be conjecture.

I have been pretty scrupulous in reporting ANYTHING I find out either from experiences with my own bike or other peoples, any information that I glean I post immediately. I can tell you that if I thought there was a major problem you'd hear it from me, anybody who has been around Guzzis and the net for the last ten years will be able to give you my opinion on bikes like the Lario and I have to admit that although they are lovely to play with you wouldn't get me owning an 'Old' Hi-Cam in a pink fit :lol:.

Your experience has been with ONE machine, yours, and you haven't even done the work on it yourself and sorry, but you AREN'T an engineer or even a mere 'Mechanic' like me. You don't have the contacts or network I have yet you presume to tell others far more highly skilled and qualified in this field that they are wrong and if the disagree with you you try to insult and belittle them. That's fine, its obviously how you get your jollies but its a bit tedious for everybody else and is causing un-neccessary stress to owners of perfectly fine machines.

Pete

+1 from me too.

And for the record, I've asked Todd to have a looksee in this thread. I hate doing that, but thought it necessary since Gary won't take a hint nor an explicit (and IMHO correct, polite, etc) question to keep to constructive contributions to this subjects.
In the meantime, I suggest that we ignore Gary's bile, or (a public moderator-to-moderator suggestion) to moderate it where it becomes too much.
(no, I didn't even think post-deletion, I swear! :silly:)

BTW, Pete, I think you meant you were being objective ... ;)

Objective:blink: :blush: Sorry, yes but my blood is up at the moment. Time for a bex and a lie down:laugh: If that was the worst mistake I'm liable to make I'd be happy. Terrible not being omniscient y'know:lol:

Pete

No, it'd be terrible to be omniscient and never have a slip-up ... ;)

Nay, saying the opposite of what one intends can't possibly be the worst mistake one can make! :D :D

Mike.C wrote:
pete roper wrote:
its a bit tedious for everybody else and is causing un-neccessary stress to owners of perfectly fine machines.

+1 from me....

+1 from me too
I don't own or have any intentions of buying a 8v bike, my slug 1200 Norge is more then enough for me (now Renee' I am just being facetious don't get you dander up). But I would give great pause if I was and ran across this "The sky is falling" crap If I didn't know the history behind it, It would turn me away. GUZZI will fix it in there own unique way , I tend to think it was a bad run of parts from the cheapest supplier they could find.
Pete we need you here !!!!!!!!!!

draidt wrote:
GUZZI will fix it in there own unique way , I tend to think it was a bad run of parts from the cheapest supplier they could find.

I would tend to agree with that. It certainly fits the pattern, when you consider CARC bearings etc.

draidt: I agree. I like slugs (ask my mum about that ). On my plate, but to ride one is a particular pleasure too

Me Too, mmmmmmm.... Slugs in a garlic butter sauce, Yummy !

And so wonderful on a sad day, too :D

(garlic butter sauce ... hmmm ... that'd be something like 100W5 or so? :silly:)

Ok guys, I know some parts of the country are cold and icy, but this certainly isn't the place to raise one's blood pressure. Let's stick with the facts, and if you want to post your opinion, feel free, but please state it as such, and please, no one take offense/sides. Read it and move on and/or don't return to the thread. You will feel much better in the end, and your Guzzi (and family) will thank you for it. ;)

I have/will only delete threads that strike out at someone directly.

Carry on.

Going riding now.

Ok, last post on this matter from me.
There are plenty of +1's above, brilliant, but how many own a Stelvio ?
Now ask the Stelvio owners if they are happy with the bike, me yes 100%, same as most.
Now ask if they are happy that if the engine aint gone tits up, it could at any moment.
End of.

I am big into my stelvio, I am a +.5 don't get rield by posts unless they are personal... I think it is fair to say any bike can go tits up in its first year of production... in the case of the stelvio When it goes you do get some warning, the noise is very obvious I noticed immediately it started. you can therefor limp your bile home or to a dealership, On a CX I had the engine simply seized due to cam problems at 4,444.4 miles (Spooky).

So if you feel it worth some pre checks etc at intervals between servicing why not do it - I do admit though I if you are half way down Europe on a tour it isn't going to be fun, so get break down insurance to cover you as I am sure Moto Guzzi is going to sort the problem out given time.

I am interested in hearing from any peaople who have had the same problem and how it was resolved and how quick, And if they have had a reoccurance...

Exactly. It can even happen to a vehicle that's been in production for a while already, like to my father in law's 3rd or so Saab 93 which seized on the highway at only a few thousand kms.

Buying a first version of anything new and expecting it to be as reliable and sorted-out as something that's been in production for years is not very realistic, IMHO. It's a gamble, and enough people need to make that gamble to allow the next generation to be improved.

To the member who's bike's going tits up at 700km and who no longer trusts it for that long trip because of that: rather be happy it happened now! With a bit of luck, yours will just have an extended 1st service and will be fine for the rest of its life. Your long trip is probably still a long way ahead to get your trust back. That said, if you're that easily shaken, maybe you ought to read up more extensively on the internet's user forums before buying your next bike! This issue was well discussed already, 700 kms ago!!

RJVB wrote:
Exactly. It can even happen to a vehicle that's been in production for a while already, like to my father in law's 3rd or so Saab 93 which seized on the highway at only a few thousand kms.

Buying a first version of anything new and expecting it to be as reliable and sorted-out as something that's been in production for years is not very realistic, IMHO. It's a gamble, and enough people need to make that gamble to allow the next generation to be improved.

To the member who's bike's going tits up at 700km and who no longer trusts it for that long trip because of that: rather be happy it happened now! With a bit of luck, yours will just have an extended 1st service and will be fine for the rest of its life. Your long trip is probably still a long way ahead to get your trust back. That said, if you're that easily shaken, maybe you ought to read up more extensively on the internet's user forums before buying your next bike! This issue was well discussed already, 700 kms ago!!

Yes, you are right, 14 months after introduction you may expect serious mechanical failure on your new car or bike and the manufacturer not having a solution yet.
But of course it's my own fault, I should have searched the internet in any available language about problems with this "new" product, stupid me!!
Thanks for the "heads up".

RJVB wrote:
That said, if you're that easily shaken, maybe you ought to read up more extensively on the internet's user forums before buying your next bike! This issue was well discussed already, 700 kms ago!!

Rene, stop now please. I'm a casual reader of this thread but you are being insulting to an awful lot of people with these stupid comments. YOU may be hooked to the internet and google "guzzi" every 2 hours but some people have lives to live.

There is clearly a problem with the new 8v and judging by the number of failures we hear on these boards vs number of owners I think it is higher than the 5% rate that Pet R is reporting from Oz. Even if it is only 5% (only??) would you pay £8000 for a bike if the dealer honestly tells you there is a 1 in 20 chance of it failing in a few months???

Anyho... it will get sorted but please don't try to tell owners how THEY should feel about it. They SHOULD be really pissed off.

Great thread this mind ;-)

Well, I'm sorry if I was being insulting or gave the impression of telling people how to think about this (I didn't), and I'm sorry that this thing is happening (and I'll ignore the ad hominem content) ......... but this *is* the internet, and this *is* a forum where the issue has been discussed since it started happening or almost, and you'd have to be on a darn rotten internet connection if you have to google guzzi every 2 hours in order to come across the echos.

Indeed, I wouldn't pay the equivalent of 8000 pounds for a bike with a 1st generation of something as new as the 8V engine, regardless of what the dealer told me. Now would the dealer tell you about an issue like this, honestly? Maybe if they have other brands to sell, yes, but otherwise I presume it's quite unlikely, eh? That's where user forums like this board come in. ;)

As to that: forums are great sources of information, both to solve problems AND to prevent problems, but more often than not, they can NOT be used as sources of statistically sound data for judging what the problem incidence rate is. If you try, you'll likely get substantial over-estimation, even on a board like this.

Back