• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sayonara Axone!

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
I've just been told that as of the end of 2009 Aprilia are abandoning axone and will not be offering any further updates for the tool. We, the dealers and service agents, are all supposed to be willing to stump-up another three grand for Navigator! This really gives me the screaming sh!ts as I know that I for one, and probably many other company reps haven't got three grands worth of 'Value out of the poxy axone and now they are going to drop it and us like a red hot condom!

Doesn't exactly encourage us to invest in tooling does it?

Pete

It's for this very reason that we got out of a technology driven business several years ago - the software updates were killing us. Welcome to the brave new world of computers.

So, question is what will a "Navigator" do that the Axone won't?

I replied to this but perhaps it was censored!

the answer is that Navigator does nothing axone can't, at least as far as Guzzi is concerned and the ONLY advantage the Texa product has is it contains mapping upgrades. the rest can be done just as easily with VDST!

I've written to the Servicemotoguzzi site administrator. Meassage below. I don't expect a reply :angry:

Dear sir/Madam.

I have today been informed that as of the end of 2009 Aprilia/Texa will no longer be supporting their Axone product and expect all dealers and service agents to 'Upgrade' to using the Navigator system.

While this *might* be a viable proposition in large markets like the United States and Europe in a country like Australia the idea that a dealer or service agent should be expected to purchase a $3000AU tool and then be told that its service life is terminated within five years of purchase is, to my mind both idiotic and deplorable.

I am now being asked to spend another equivalent amount of money on the Navigator system, a cost I can never in a business of my size ever hope to recoup. As far as everyday tuning is concerned the Technoresearch VDST software package allows everything that Axone or Navigator does at a fraction of the price! The ONLY advantage to using the Texa supplied tooling is that it is factory endorsed and does allow the upgrading of maps to new factory standards. Since there are now alternative tuning options becoming available I find that the price associated with the product is bordering on the unconscionable.

I would greatly like a reply giving some sort of justification for this obviously idiotic marketing ploy? Especially in a time of world ecconomic dowturn??

Yours sincerely.

P.C.Roper

Motomoda.

23 King St.

Bungendore. NSW 2621

Australia

I wonder if the reply might be:

Deeaar Meester Rowpaa,

Wee a dontaa geevaa a shheet.

Yours sincerely, Moto Guzzi sevice dept. :laugh:

Well, if they want to sell motorbikes they ought to. I've worked long and hard enough not to have to worry. For a struggling business that sort of impost could be a make or break.

Most of the good mechanics I know would take one look and immediately flick any thought of doing business with such a hopeless bunch of shonks. The whole idea of 'Business' is doing something to make a profit. You can't be expected to do that if you are charged exhorbitant amounts for tooling by the business you are representing.

If you are saying "If you can't stand the heat? Get out of the kitchen!" I think there is a very good chance that is exactly what I'll do, and I'm sorry, but that is Piaggio and the Guzzi community's loss, not mine.

Pete

pete roper wrote:
the answer is that Navigator does nothing axone can't, at least as far as Guzzi is concerned and the ONLY advantage the Texa product has is it contains mapping upgrades. the rest can be done just as easily with VDST!

Seems like a step sideways, and expensive to boot!

Maybe the Piaggio CEO's daughter had a run in with the bloke who runs the Axone company.... sounds about as sensible too!

Axone and Navigator are both produced bt Texa. It's not a change of supplier, simply a refusal to continue to support a product that was sold with a VERY high price premium.

Pete

pete roper wrote:
I replied to this but perhaps it was censored!
You replied here? Not censored by me.

Axone... classic move. Sorry to hear Pete, but not at all surprised. You surely can't be as well. Frustrating to say the least. Perhaps they should cut a deal for 50%-off if you own a Axone bought through them. Ah, right. :pinch:

As Mike said, classical (computer/software) industry standards move. There has to be progress, even if it's just the contents of pockets already way deep enough.

I wonder if Aprilia sells enough bikes that their dealers could recoup the cost?

What's the average dealer profit made on a new Guzzi sold, and/or on a new Aprilia?

not saying 'if you cant stand the heat......' just light heartedattempt to show moto guzzi up as having customer and dealer relations at the bottom of the priority list.
I imagine the whole issue is real frustration for you and if you did give up your Guzzi franchise Moto Guzzi would be all the poorer for that.

Perhaps it just didn't go through for some reason. I was a bit angry though and as you know when i get angry I tend to get a bit 'Potty mouthed' to use the wet little descriptive used by wankers the world over!

Pete

I heard about this possibility 6 months back. I suspect it is driven by Texa not supporting the "old" Axone any more.
Of course it's Guzzi who control the prices to the dealers.

I was going to say that this might be driven by Texa, but somebody already pointed that out. Given that possibility, perhaps you should contact Texa direct about their failure to support Axone any longer, and possible recourse (discounted upgrade?)

Forum has been delaying posts during the 23rd. Some of mines took one full day to show up.

And on topic, yes it sucks.

The annoying bit about this is of course that they (Aprilia, Guzzi, Piaggio, whoever decided to use the Axone) could have opted for just a "simple" piece of software (like the VDSTS) running on whatever kind of computer one could expect to sit in the average dealership. Software is a lot easier to support, and can also be sold for whatever "the fool wants to shell out for it" as we say in the Netherlands (just look at Matlab pricing...).

If it's Texa who's driving this, Piaggio is just as well prisoner as our dealers... and I don't think they control the pricing completely, unfortunately. Unless someone can attest that Tesla does NOT sell the same hardware (be it in a different jacket) to much bigger customers?

Or even more simple, include the TPS adjustment in the bike's computer.

Resetting the TPS on our MGF is as simple as turning on the ignition, pressing the accelerator fully a few times within a time limit and then some other short simple procedure that I can't remember just now. Point is that it is so simple and can be done without any expensive computers at all. But that would be too easy and I am sure that MG get some monetary benefit from the tie up with Texa.

Mike.C wrote:
I am sure that MG get some monetary benefit from the tie up with Texa.
Well, I doubt Guzzi pay 3000$ to Texa for the things.
The new Navigator is a PC based bit of software, more like VDSTS.
Wonder when the Chinese copies will turn up?

To what degree can other diagnostic tools be used to tune Guzzi fuel injection? If my question is naive, I apologize. My knowledge of motorbike electrics (much less electronics) stems from some years as a Velocette mechanic long ago. I was pretty adept then at setting mechanical voltage regulators and repairing BTH magnetos.

Also, am I wrong to believe that the automotive industry probably also uses Weber-Marelli pumps and Marelli injection? What tools do they use? Are these not usable on Guzzis?

I won't even ask if the later Amal Mk.II Concentric carburetors can be fitted in lieu of the Marelli injectors. My heart flutters at the very thought!

Back