Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Second hand bikes. Yay. :(

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Sport1200, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Sport1200

Sport1200 Tuned and Synch'ed

First oil change to my new-to-me Sport 1200 and I find the sump plug is stripped. What also is fun is the plug is not the correct one- standard is M10 X 1.0 and the one in my bike is M10 X 1.5. I guess previous owner stripped it and said- this will do.... :( He had the left hand pot valves adjusted backwards when I checked it yesterday. He adjusted to .15 inlet .20 exhaust except they were arse about. Easy done I guess. He is a small engine mechanic. A rough one it seems! :( ( I adjusted valves to .10 inlet .15 exhaust)

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Looks like it is time for a helicoil. Best to drop the pan. Don't forget to get the screws up where the oil filter goes. Also since the pan is down, a as precaution a good time to drop the intermediate plate to put a new gasket there. Several have had issues with that gasket.

Sport1200 likes this.
  3. Sport1200

Can someone confirm sump plug size please? Some sources say M10 X 1.0 some say M10 X 1.5. Thanks! I want to helicoil to stock.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Good you are checking. I don't have one on the shelf so I can't gauge the threads and I just changed oils in mine so I don't want to pull a drain plug. I will say that a M10X1 would be a very fine thread for an M10. I don't remember it being a fine thread. I hope someone can gauge one for you as I suspect the parts manual is incorrect.

Sport1200 likes this.
  5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

M10x1.5 sounds right to me. Use a thread gauge to determine your existing one, and then attempt to retap the sump with the same. If it fails to create a healthy looking thread, then helicoil it as John suggests.

You don't want it to drop out!

Sport1200 likes this.
  6. Sport1200

Phoned Tom Newell of Don Newell Guzzi this morn and it is a M10 X 1.5. Several Guzzi manuals are wrong. Thanks for replies.

7. Sport1200

All done now. Reused gasket after a clean. Helicoiled. Really easy. :) Had sump off my GPZ900R about 6 months ago - a lot harder.

photo0784.jpg Photo0786.jpg Photo0785.jpg photo0783.jpg

MOLT likes this.
  8. not-fishing

not-fishing Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Reused the gasket? We'll you'd better have a pair of red suspenders in your closet.

I had to replace the sump on V11 Rosso Corsa because it snapped around the side stand bolt. Luckily the sump was cheap @ $200+. I also had to reuse a sump gasket because I only bought one and the Lemans had an aftermarket windage plate which I was happy to see. I'm the 3rd or 4th Owner.

I've never had confidence in something like a helicoil but I'll remember it for a lower tension application.

9. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

Probably should have replaced the upper gasket (above the spacer) while you were in there Tony. These failing have caused some trouble like lack of oil pressure - it was just another 4 bolts further. Consider doing it - yours is of an age where it might just fail. My 4 bolts were only finger tight and had come like that from the factory.

Sport1200 likes this.
  10. Sport1200

Red suspenders???? My understanding is a helicoil is stronger than the original thread. :)

11. Sport1200

Shit. I'll keep it in mind for future. Thanks.

12. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

Don't keep it in mind, do it. All up cost is around $24 for the two gaskets and an hour or so to change them, and you are capable. This is called peace of mind.

Sport1200 likes this.
  13. Sport1200

Not sure if I have asked before- do the 4 bolts in intermediate plate have loctite on them??? Should they? Going in very soon.

14. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

When done properly they're at least as good as the original thread.

That said, there are even better alternatives, My 1st choice being "Acme Threaded Inserts". Better variety, stronger thread and easier to insert or remove if you need to. Definitely easier to do a good, solid job if you're not experienced.