• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sensor Problem in colder temps?

jonesar

Just got it firing!
On first starting in the am with an ambient temperature of approx 60F or lower, the neutral light will not come on when the key switch is turned on. I also get a "service" and the red triangle symbol on the display. The bike won't start at that point unless I get on it, bring the sidestand up and pull in the clutch.
This issue clears up once the engine warms up (5 or 10 miles down the road. The neutral light will then come on normally. The "service" message goes off just after starting off.
I suspect this is a sensor problem but wonder if anyone has encountered this problem and discovered the solution?

No other dashboard issues, other than the messages I already mentioned.
When I first noted this problem during the winter months - I did check the sidestand switch. I will recheck it though.

Hi, Pete: I've got a bit of condensation in one corner of the dash. I made a pre-emptive strike by sealing the wheel speed sensor with silicone. rode in the rain once a couple months ago, had a brief issue of speed not reading that disapeared after a mile. I parked the bike in the rain overnight last night and now have ZERO speedo and odometer function, SERVICE in big letters in the display, and the red triangle idjit light lit. Bike runs normally and fuel gauge, lights, etc work normally. (Computer shows NO dashboard or ECU error codes by the way)

Dash or wheel sensor??

If the sensor, whats the proper technique (and substance) for sealing the sensor cable?
(I removed the rear wheel and sensor and smeared silicone RTV sealant where the cable enters the sensor; this was before I had any problems, BTW)

I haven't yet had to do it to any of the bikes I've dealt with. I just warranty 'em if they go bad. PM Wayne, he's done his with some special gloop I think.

I have a bit of condensation in my dash and keep meaning to take it off for a looksee and re seal the cover with silicone but I just haven't got round to it yet. What I'll do I dry it with a hairdrier first and then re-seal the face. That way there should be no water vapor inside to form condensation.

One of my customers baked his, with the cover off, in a VERY low oven for about 15 minutes and that worked too.

Pete

When my speedo sensor failed when in a light rain. I did this:

1) Placed a light bulb NEAR it for hours. (used an IR thermometer to keep it around 170F for a long time)
2) It ensured it was working again and left it in the heat for more hours.
3) While hot, I coated it with this goop called liquid tape. Mainly getting it to suck it in around the wire.
4) After it cooled a while and before it hardened I wiped off the excess.

Cured it for me. May be overkill. May be better to warranty it.

BTW, some silicone sealant should NEVER be used near electronics. It is highly corrosive. Look for non-corrosive stuff if that is what you use.

All very easy to 'warrenty it'. But all these reoccuring sensors and leaky dash's are going to be bloody expensive after the warrenty expires, or as Guzzi know thy have these problems, will they honour a new dash after the warrenty expires ?

No idea, but the principle I work on is if I make enough of a PITA of myself and if every other dealer did too then eventually the Piggio-tards might decide to buy their dashboards and electrical shit from domeone other than the mouth-breathers at digitek.

There are no 'Magic Wands' to be waved here Gary. Pissing and moaning will achieve nothing. Hitting 'em in the only place it hurts, their bottom line, is the only way we're likely to get results.

Pete

Back