• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Serial number search

MotoWally

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hello ! I just got a barn find at an auction, need to translate the serial number to help with restoring this old bird. Neck tag says JAN 1972, Frame number is 50315, engine number on the side of the block says 50315 VP. No other numbers that I can find. I got side cases, a trunk, tank, no seat. Side covers say 850, friend of a friend told me yesterday I may have a California Police model. It's rough, and it will take a major restoration. Any help is appreciated on the serial number, so I'll know where to start. Thanks ! Robert

rwtools@att.net

From the information you've given, it's a '72 850 Eldorado. Could be a "police" model depending on a number of things. Like John Z. said, post some photos so we can see how the bike is outfitted.

Yours isn't on the "Loop List" yet:
thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto_guzzi_loopframe_loop_list.php

Two of the best resources for owners of the Loopframe Guzzis:

Greg Bender's website: thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto_guzzi_loopframe.htm

The Loopframe Guzzi Yahoo Group: groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Loopframe_Guzzi/info

The only picture I have is the one from the auction website. I can't figure out how to post this.

And, it's a basketcase. One jug's off, generator's missing, nothing is mounted to the bike except for the drivetrain, and I didn't get a seat. Got the tank, saddlebags, trunk, extra fenders, air cleaner boxes, exhausts, handlebars of all styles, boxes and boxes of parts & stuff, a full pickup load, without the bike. I figured on starting with the serial numbers, maybe figure out how much of this stuff is real, and what I can get rid of. Oh, and I also got an extra frame, a 1970 bare frame.

I'll try later to post pics.

Take a picture of what you have. Since you said you have a generator, it is probably an Eldorado which is considered a loop frame bike. Don't sell anything until you have the bike together and won't need that item.

Wally,

That sure is a barn find in every sense of the word. It is not a police model as it has pegs. The fuse block that should be in the headlight bucket is missing. The handle bars are not correct. The cylinders were originally chrome, if she still has chrome bores, the cylinders will need to be replaced as old chrome bores flake off and cause failure. And the list of what she needs goes on.

Here is a picture of what she should look like (this bike has the factory floorboard kit and Carabinieri saddle bags.

IMG 0004

If you take on this project I just want you to be prepared for what it will take.

To bring this bike back to life would be a daunting undertaking, but doable. Just be prepared to spend large amounts of money and spend even more time finding what you need and working on the bike. It would probably cost you more to bring this bike back to running condition than the cost of a running bike. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for getting me back on !

Yes, it looks like a major project. However, I am not taking a purist approach, even after sitting on a running 72 Eldo in Tulsa Saturday. That was so cool ! :cool:

I've ridden lots of different stuff over the years, but that pure mechanical sound and feel just can't be beat. My mind has always gone back to old Harleys, that being my first ride. Goldwings, even a KZ440(rode it while I was taking CAD Drafting) I've also restored a few cars also, for myself and customers, being an auto/ aircraft mechanic for many years.

Just a plan outline (as plans are always due to change) is to go with a custom bagger-type ride. Going to go with an alternator kit, LED lighting, big-bore kit (to 950), disc brake front. I thought about using the Wixom bags and trunk, but probably will use bigger aftermarket bags and adapt them to my Guzz. It may have had floorboards at one time, I think the mountings are still there, but I can tell the previous owner was a hack, by the obvious choice of handlebars. I have more that were in the attic with the rest of the stuff in a closet. I also will probably make my own wiring harness, previously did one for a Harley chopper, and it turned out good.

I really like that orange emblem on the front page. Is that stock, or a custom job ? Maybe I can get one from a dealer ?

And, I will find out tomorrow about the title. Got a bill of sale from the auction, but I would rather have the original, so I am requesting info from the State MVD to track this down.

MotoWally said:
It may have had floorboards at one time, I think the mountings are still there, but I can tell the previous owner was a hack, by the obvious choice of handlebars.
I really like that orange emblem on the front page. Is that stock, or a custom job ? Maybe I can get one from a dealer ?

The factory floorboard kit is additional brackets and linkage that are bolted to the bike after you remove the stock pegs, shifter, and brake pedal. You either have them, or pegs. Impossible to have bits of both. As for the "orange emblem on the front page" I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Personally I'm a keep it original guy. The Eldorado picture is a bike I restored many years ago. BTW, my other ride is a 1926 Model T I just finished restoring.

DSC04506 copy

On the home page, there are some pics in a slideshow. One's a chick, then the GuzziTech logo, an aluminum (?) custom cafe, and a black Guzzi with an orange tank emblem. I like that, would go well with the color scheme I am planning.

MotoWally said:
On the home page, there are some pics in a slideshow. One's a chick, then the GuzziTech logo, an aluminum (?) custom cafe, and a black Guzzi with an orange tank emblem. I like that, would go well with the color scheme I am planning.

Looks like a decal on a V7. Download the parts manual from the downloads section and you should be able to order a pair. I'd look in the v7-parts-13 first.

Has anyone had any problem trying to explain to the DMV idiots that a Guzzi only has a 5 digit serial number? Am i not looking hard enough ? All I see is the neck tag, and the engine number on the side of it. Nothing else. These Okies are a pain. Cannot find the title, or previous owner. May be selling for parts if the idiots win.

MotoWally said:
Has anyone had any problem trying to explain to the DMV idiots that a Guzzi only has a 5 digit serial number? Am i not looking hard enough ? All I see is the neck tag, and the engine number on the side of it. Nothing else. These Okies are a pain. Cannot find the title, or previous owner. May be selling for parts if the idiots win.

You may need to get a letter from Piaggio to show the DMV folks. Guzzi didn't start to use the VIN system until I believe the late 1970s or early 1980s. I know the 1977 T3 I owned only had a serial number, not a VIN. You just may need to find an experienced (older) person at the DMV that remembers when vehicles only had a serial number.

What year did I presume Oklahoma require a title? Alabama will not issue one for a vehicle older that 1975 or even for new trailers. If all else fails, there are companies that will get a title for you bike in another state so you can title it where you live.

MotoWally said:
This thread is all over the place.
The emblem is a custom painted Stone emblem, nothing too special.
The chick is my wife on my Jackal.

Oh. Sorry about the "chick" reference.

I liked the emblem because I planned a black base/clear, orange pinstripes color scheme, and thought that type of emblem would look good.

John, do you have some names of these companies ? I spent the past hour trying to google different things, not anything that showed any promise. Probably would be worth the money, since I could possibly spend a lot of money just making OK happy with a title.

OK law states it has to have a title to be registered/plated/insured for the road.

On a quick search I came up with these:

broadwaytitle.com/

autotitle.com/History.php

tennesseeautotitle.com/

suretygroup.com/surety-bond/commercial-surety/lost-title-bond.aspx?utm_source=yahoo-bing-cpc

Also I just came across this thread on the Model T forum I use. mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/407836.html?1386992027 Register in Vermont, then apply for an Oklahoma title.

Here's a website that anyone owning a "Loopframe" Guzzi really should bookmark:

thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto_guzzi_loopframe.htm

Titling an Untitled Loop: thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto_guzzi_loopframe_miscellaneous.htm#gtb_titles_-_titling_an_untitled_loop

Here's a company in MD that will do all of the "leg work" for you:
motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html

Hi Guys!
I know this is a old forum.
But i know a guy that was buying a 1984 Moto Guzzi California ii 1000. We went to get the bike and found out that he also had a 1974
850. So my friend and me made a package deal of less then 1000 for both.
I am trying to get input on this bike. this guy here had that barn find thought was a police bike but his has foot pegs' Mine has foot boards and side compartments plus hard bags.
But i been trying ti decode frame and engine vin but i cant find nothing out.
Was wondering if you could help me or send me info on where to look.
Thanks

1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481

Back