• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Serious Question about Wills, in the UK

motoguzziman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Pertaining to UK Law.
Ok, Going through a lot of problems with my parents at mo, Mum,s Alzheimers has got bad, & Dad,s leukemia is back, white cells rising.
Anyway He decides its time to make a will, and going by his normal solicitor, a pair of them came to the flat.
It cost whatever solicitors charge pr hr, then 500 quid, to register the wills, at some " House " or other.
Yet, the other day, I was browsing, and found the following

http://www.makeawillonline.co.uk/

And as you can see, its supposedly ok, for 35 quid ?
And no mention of a 500 quid registration fee at "whatever House "

Obviously, the money my dad has spent, is spent, so no point in trying to change that.

However, approaching 60, and with all these new money grabbing rules & regulations, I would like to have something on paper.
So the measly leftovers from taxation, don´t disappear into HMG coffers, as daylight robbery, because form : FKDBYGOV-3319
was not filled in correctly.

Anyone know anything about the legalities ? Ok or not ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. I suspect the solicitors may have been taking advantage of their circumstances. I made a will which because of my family circumstances was far from straight forward and it didn't cost me that much and I don't recall having to pay to register it either (is it possible that any such fee could be deferred until death & paid by the estate?).

The good news is that a lot of legal firms have fixed fees for doing wills so shop around and ask. And I think there is a scheme run by the Law Society that does wills for free along the lines of a "National Make a Will Day" to encourage people to do it, so it might be worth asking them? Making a will is also a service my bank has offered me so yours might do too. Or you can also do it yourself. WH Smith sell 'will kits' with simple instructions on how to do it. Or there's online alternatives.

All you need for a will to be valid in England (some parts of the UK may differ) is for a written piece of paper which clearly states what the person wants, and which also gives the time and place of writing it to be signed by that person plus two independent witnesses ie, not related or beneficiaries of that will.
The online will writing service is more than adequate for legal purposes, but they do clearly say that if the person's affairs are at all complex, then further advice should be sought.
Complexities would be where there has been a former marriage with children etc, or foreign assets.
But in the normal case where a married person leaves everything to his/her spouse, or children if he/she outlives said spouse, then the simple system works fine.

Be aware of new banking rules regarding dementure and joint accounts.

Following the death of a relative, the will has to be taken to the Probate office, the Registrar of Deaths etc will give full information on that. I don't think they have a charge for their service, but might be wrong.

It is not uncommon for people to ask for a will to be stored in a safe place, like a solicitor's office (or bank) but there would be a charge for that.
Banks also charge for their will writing service. (when has a bank ever done something for nothing :lol: ).

The only "house" I can think of is Somerset House, where public records are kept, but I have never heard of any registration fee there. I'm no porfessional expert though.

My experience ties in with exactly what Brian UK says. Janet and I did our wills a few years ago, I can't remember the exact cost but it wasn't much, we did it through a financial services firm that had an offer on, it was very straight forward and we were advised to keep it simple. It went along the lines of..Who ever goes first the other gets the lot, if we both go together then the kids get 50/50.

Iain

Back