Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Service Code

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by kiwi dave, May 12, 2013.

1. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

What I'm sure is when the the spanner will reappear. On the CARC bikes, it would show 6,000 miles/10,000 kM after the reset, but I suspect it is preprogrammed for odometer intervals on the Cali 1400.

Anybody know for sure?

2. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

?..but mine showed up around 6200 miles

3. omega1

omega1 Just got it firing!

On my Cali 1400 the spanner appeared at 10001, 20001,30001 and 40001 km irrespective of when it was reset. I have now reset it using the code you discovered (thank you!) at about 47 000 km and fully expect it to reappear at 50001.

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected this was the case, it's good to have it confirmed,

5. dawdish

dawdish Just got it firing!

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

6. Fast1400

Fast1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

Many Thanks Kiwi Dave.
    Just for grins, how did you find the code ?
    Trial and error?
    Intercept the PADDS stream whilst being reset?
    Lucky Lotto Number winner ?
    Wes

7. Guzziviking

Guzziviking Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Thanks for the service code ,kiwi dave !
    Yesterday I reset the service icon,the recip work perfect.

8. RHegedus

RHegedus Just got it firing!

Thank you all for the advice and service code! I reset mine last night and it was a snap! I reset the beast around 10,300 km/6,400 miles. This is a great thread! Drop by Rockwood anytime all and beers are on me!!

9. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

It will show up again 6000 miles after you reset it.

10. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Are you sure it's after 6,000 miles, and not just a multiple of 6,000 miles? I say this because before I discovered the code, I had a dealer reset it and change the speedometer to kilometers at the same time. Less than 1000 km later, the spanner reappeared. It stayed there until I could do it myself.

11. kdirtrider

kdirtrider Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I agree. Mine just came on after resetting it 4000 miles ago. Came on at 18700 miles. I think it's programmed for specific miles(km) at least on mine...

12. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

My thanks also Kiwi Dave. Worked perfect

13. ssmith996

ssmith996 Tuned and Synch'ed

My 2015 Ducati 1200S Monster has a similar code issue. It must be a European thing.....

14. FrankZ

FrankZ Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks, Kiwi Dave! I just changed the oil on my 2016 Eldorado, and used that code to reset the indicator. I did this before the wrench icon appeared, about 200 miles shy of the service interval. I assume that it worked, as the code got me into the service menu. I also programmed some extra keys for the bike while I was in there. Any idea what the calibration menu item is for? I'm afraid to click on that one, might turn the bike into a very expensive paper weight.

15. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I doubt if you have reset your indicator, especially since it wasn't present to reset. Expect to see it in a couple of hundred miles again, and this time you can actually reset it.

The calibration menu is for traction control, which relies on the relative rotation of each wheel for intervention. This would probably be necessary if you change the size of your tires, or some other drastic action. I got into there when looking for the elusive 24 hour clock option, which I now accept is probably a figment of my imagination.

16. FrankZ

FrankZ Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks again, Dave. That wrench should probably appear by the end of the week, if the weather cooperates. Hopefully, I won't have any reason to use the calibration function, but it's good to know what it's for.

Should you ever find a way to read error codes without a PADS tool, I would be extremely interested. My nearest dealer is about 2-3 hours away.

17. Curt Russell

Curt Russell Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks Dave and to everyone else on this forum. I just referred back to this thread to reset the service coupon (wrench) for the second time. I think I have it in memory now. What a great forum this is. All helpful information from a bunch of knowledgeable old pros. My Ca 1400 is my first Guzzi and seeing the level of integrity on this forum I am quite comfortable with the choice.

jbhotchkiss and John L like this.
  18. Davetac1

Davetac1 Tuned and Synch'ed

After reading thru this thread several times,and finally understanding it [ I've been in the repair business now for over 62 years of my life] ,and since I may shortly be an owner of a new 1400 Tourer,I have a question.My question is: since this calibration function button is used to clear this "WRENCH" which appears,can it also be used to identify other trouble codes???????? Thank you!! Dave!!!

19. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

No, the calibration function does not clear the wrench icon. It's function is to calibrate the computer so that it can determine the distance each tyre covers per revolution. This information is then used to inform the traction control and/or the ABS when one of the tyres (normally the rear) is slipping.

That's my understanding of it.

Beware that calibration is not as easy as it looks. I mistakenly entered it when looking for the elusive 24 hr clock display (I never found that) when I should have been watching the road. A pain to correct.

20. Davetac1

Davetac1 Tuned and Synch'ed

After reading the above threads,I thought the button was used to reset or shut off the wrench icon showing on the instrument cluster using the 34534 code.Or did I read it wrong???????????????And if that was the case,why couldn't it also be used [with another code] to read ECM codes.OR, are you saying that info to turn off the WRENCH ICON was incorrect??? I'm confused.I mean, if I do buy one of these machines,I do NOT wanna go into it blind.Follow me??? Please explain!! Thank you!! Dave!!!