• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Service warning light on only at high speed

KayJay

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have a 2010 and ever since the bike was "rollerized" the red triangle with the exclamation point in it, along with the word "service" illuminate intermittently any time I travel over 70mph for any amount of time. The warning immediately disappears as soon as I slow down a bit. It never happens at speeds below 65mph. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? I checked the ECU and dashboard codes when I returned home and there are no active codes.

Check the injector plugs on wiring, make sure they are plugged in tight and have the locking clip attached around square plug. It is about the only wiring disconnected besides the fuel tank for doing roller tappets. It should be in memory on dash like John says.
There is a grounding clip on rocker tower to ground the cover when it is rollerized, supposed to swap them out for new ones supplied in the kit(Not likely the issue).

I checked the codes and there is nothing in memory

This makes things interesting. Now for a different kind of test. Is the cutting out speed related, or RPM related? So now to test ride the bike in a lower gear to the RPM where you achieve 70 MPH in 6th. Let us know if the fault occurs or not.

This makes things interesting. Now for a different kind of test. Is the cutting out speed related, or RPM related? So now to test ride the bike in a lower gear to the RPM where you achieve 70 MPH in 6th. Let us know if the fault occurs or not.
Ok, good idea! I'll give it a shot and get back to you.

Ok, good idea! I'll give it a shot and get back to you.
I'm leaning towards the issue being speed related. Running in a lower gear at roughly the same RPM doesn't seem to trigger the issue. I'm beginning to think the issue is related to the speed sensor; however, the speedometer doesn't fail when the service light comes on. I'm also a bit confused as to where the speed sensor is located. I've read conflicting information; some saying its on the front fork by the brake disc and others say the inside of swing arm mounted on the carc.

I have a 2010 and ever since the bike was "rollerized" the red triangle with the exclamation point in it, along with the word "service" illuminate intermittently any time I travel over 70mph for any amount of time. The warning immediately disappears as soon as I slow down a bit. It never happens at speeds below 65mph. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? I checked the ECU and dashboard codes when I returned home and there are no active codes.

I never experienced this specifically, but soon after I got my 2009, the speedo sensor by the back wheel started acting up, causing the red service triangle to come on sporadically and the speedometer readings go to 0 then jump back up.

I took the sensor off, dried it good and dry by sitting in the sun and then hair-drying it, sealed it up with silicone sealant, and it's been good ever since. Might be worth a try, it's not hard to get to.

Lannis

6A6B02D0 C56A 4D05 8C83 20C6F811A6CF 1 201 a
*UPDATE*
After trying to diagnose the service light problem I found a notation in the owner's manual that said, "If warning lights or the SERVICE icon light up for short period of time, this does not indicate malfunctioning ". With that I decided that the service light issue wasn't a big deal. After riding the bike for the past year I found the light coming on more frequently and staying on as long as I held one continuous RPM. An RPM change of more than 1000-1500 RPM would immediately cause the service light to turn off again. As I stated in my original post there are no codes in the memory after the ride.

A month ago I decided to have the front tire replaced and since the issue with the service light was becoming more frequent, I decided to have the shop try to diagnose the cause of the light coming on. After 7-8 hours of diagnostic time, including the technician riding the bike with his laptop strapped to the passenger seat looking for the intermittent code, he finally got a code for an O2 sensor. The sensor was replaced and I picked up the bike today. Lo and behold, the service light came on again as soon as I got to a cruising speed and held a steady RPM. So, I made a u-turn and now my bike is back in the shop. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do next?

How is the oil level, I was thinking it was a weeee bit of oil starvation at that speed and gear.
Same speed @ lower gear = more oil pressure, no problem !

What else does going to roller rockers change, would it interfere with the flow of the oil Splashing around up there , just a little ?
Maybe the return flow rate might be affected more at certain RPM’s ?

How is the oil level, I was thinking it was a weeee bit of oil starvation at that speed and gear.
Same speed @ lower gear = more oil pressure, no problem !

What else does going to roller rockers change, would it interfere with the flow of the oil Splashing around up there , just a little ?
Maybe the return flow rate might be affected more at certain RPM’s ?

If he had a pressure loss it would throw a code.

I have always kept in my mind if you have no codes then it's mechanical. Something not associated with a sensor. The fuel filter would be one. Valve setting is another. The ecu knows something is wrong but has no way to pinpoint the issue. Hope this helps some.

Thanks all, I tend to agree with V700Steve. I was thinking corrosion on a pin or pins on the ecu may be the culprit but the warning light comes on only under very specific conditions, engine at operating temp., steady rpm for several minutes, and almost always above 50 mph. If it was a corrosion issue I would think the light would come on randomly under any condition making me think V700 Steve is onto something. That said, if the problem is mechanical, where would we start to trouble shoot? My mechanic feels it is the ecu throwing an intermittent "ghost" code and is leaning toward replacing the ECU. What do you guys think about the ECU/ghost code theory?
I have always kept in my mind if you have no codes then it's mechanical. Something not associated with a sensor. The fuel filter would be one. Valve setting is another. The ecu knows something is wrong but has no way to pinpoint the issue. Hope this helps some.

Just one other thing to keep in mind; Once the light comes on it will stay on until I alter the RPM. No oil pressure light, no code, just the red triangle and SERVICE at the bottom of the dash.

Just one other thing to keep in mind; Once the light comes on it will stay on until I alter the RPM. No oil pressure light, no code, just the red triangle and SERVICE at the bottom of the dash.

Isn’t the Red Triangle Oil pressure - Service immediately ?

Oil pressure and Oil sensor
In the event of an oil pressure fault or if the oil pressure sensor is disconnected, the message "ALARM OIL PRESSURE" or "ALARM OIL SENSOR" is shown on the dis- play. The general alarm warning lamp (2) lights steadily if the fault is relative to the oil pressure sensor, and flashes if the alarm is relative to oil pressure.
CAUTION
ALARM OIL PRESSURE: IN CASE OF INSUFFICIENT PRESSURE, THE WARN- ING LIGHT FLASHES. SWITCH OFF THE ENGINE IMMEDIATELY AND TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE TO AN Official Moto Guzzi Dealer USING A ROADSIDE ASSIS- TANCE VEHICLE.
ALARM OIL SENSOR: IN CASE OF FAULT OF THE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR, THE WARNING LIGHT REMAINS ON STEADY. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BRING THE MOTORCYCLE TO AN Official Moto Guzzi Dealership.“

Back