• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Share a rear shock experience

Gerrit58

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just want to share a rear shock experience. I swapped the rear shock of my 2009 Stelvio (41000 km) with a new Hyperpro damper (thanks to Louis I did not remove the swing arm). Over here they are pretty famous and the price is reasonable just under 500 Euro.
I drove the bike last night really fast over pretty bumpy roads and its really awesome. I can recommend it to everyone who's weight is 100 kilo ;-). The handeling is so much better and no bottoming anymore. All that for just 500 Euro.

Attachments

• IMG_20160718_155924.jpg
    IMG_20160718_155924.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 41
I also swapped out the rear shock on my '09 Stelvio after 20,000 miles. The original shock had no more damping and the spring was completely sacked out under a two-up load - we came home through New York to Virginia from Nova Scotia with the suspension literally bottomed out on the rubber bumper.

I described my problem to Todd, viz:

1) I often have a 500-pound payload on the bike on a long trip.
2) The Russell Day-Long seat made the bike a little tall even for my 6'2" self.
3) I wanted a rear suspension that would last more than a year or two.

He specified a Penske rear shock with the appropriate spring rate and preload, 1" shorter than stock, and 105 lb/in. front springs to replace the 95s that are stock, along with longer spacers in the front. I also slid the forks "up" in the triple-clamps 1".

So I got those parts, took the front end apart (replacing the seals and dust covers at the same time), installed the new springs and spacers, and installed the new rear shock. The only thing that was a pain about it was that the bottom mount for the rear shock did not have a threaded "clevis" like the original so that you could just re-use the stock bolt - I had to handwork a nut for that mount, making it thinner so it would fit.

It all works well together. It knocked an inch off the stance of the bike, making it easier to handle, and it carries a 450-500 pound load without wallowing or twitching or bottoming out.

Lannis

Thans Lannis. NeXT winter I will order the hyperpro front springs. I must say that the stock front shock is very good. i've no real issue but changing the rear was such a difference that I will take a chance. hyperpro shocks have progressieve springs and that really makes the difference.

. hyperpro shocks have progressieve springs and that really makes the difference.
I was looking at fitting progressive springs on my Quota and general feedback indicated they were out of favour now. I would be interested in what others think.
Alan NZ.

Look what the nice guy driving a brown truck left at my house.

null_zpsqzhogbae.jpg

null_zpsqzhogbae.jpg

That's pretty sweet! But, I didn't realize that the guys in the little brown trucks delivered all the way out there in BFE, a.k.a. Tulia. Back when I lived in Canyon, I thought that was the end of the world from Amarillo! ;-) Tulia, hell that was way past Happy, TX, in the badlands! Awesome shock though, but where in that part of Texas are you going to use it? There's no elevation, no curves, just flat! I used to get so desperate, that I would go blast down in Palo Duro Canyon just to get a few brief curves!

null_zpsqzhogbae.jpg
I just received the same shock made for a Stelvio yesterday. I took off the stock rear shock according to Louis's instruction sheet, but cannot figure out how to install the Matris. After a brief attempt at installation it looks impossible to install from bottom, the top of the shock is much wider than stock. The only possibility I see is from top, it looks like the rear wheel needs to come off, and also the plastic cover under the seat. Seems to me that it needs clearance to drop straight down rather than at an angle. Any suggestions?

That's pretty sweet! But, I didn't realize that the guys in the little brown trucks delivered all the way out there in BFE, a.k.a. Tulia. Back when I lived in Canyon, I thought that was the end of the world from Amarillo! ;-) Tulia, hell that was way past Happy, TX, in the badlands! Awesome shock though, but where in that part of Texas are you going to use it? There's no elevation, no curves, just flat! I used to get so desperate, that I would go blast down in Palo Duro Canyon just to get a few brief curves!

I head to the cul-de-sac at the east end of Comanche Trail.

I just received the same shock made for a Stelvio yesterday. I took off the stock rear shock according to Louis's instruction sheet, but cannot figure out how to install the Matris. After a brief attempt at installation it looks impossible to install from bottom, the top of the shock is much wider than stock. The only possibility I see is from top, it looks like the rear wheel needs to come off, and also the plastic cover under the seat. Seems to me that it needs clearance to drop straight down rather than at an angle. Any suggestions?

If you remove the rear wheel you will have more room to work and may very well succeed. If you haven't greased the swing arm bearings, this would be a good time to do so, and with the swing arm out should be a piece of cake to put the shock in. Much easier to remove the swing arm than all the plastic above.

I took off the stock rear shock according to Louis's instruction sheet,
Who is Louis?
Installation is reverse of removal. Plenty of room to slide it in from above the swing arm.

Back