• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shifting issues after rebuilding shift pre-selector

sp838

Just got it firing!
Hello all. I'm writing this post because I'm stumped with a frustrating shifting problem. I have a 2001 v11 Sport. The bike runs well but I was experiencing some poor shifting performance: difficulty shifting out of neutral into 1st gear (had to really stomp on the lever), missed shifts going up from 2nd into 3rd, false neutrals between 3rd and 4th. The neutral light also sometimes would stop coming on after riding and the bike was warmed up.

After reading the forums here and on v11lemans, I became acquainted with the fact that the shift pre-selector mechanism sometimes came with a flawed pawl arm which would wear out its spring, and that sometimes the spring would fail while riding and leave the bike unable to shift. Sounded scary. Other users seemed to be of the opinion that this was also the cause for missed shifts and false neutrals. So I ordered a new pawl arm and all new springs, some redline oil and moly additive from harper's, and replaced all the suspect parts. No damage to any of the old springs was evident. The gear oil had no shavings in it, and the inside of the gearbox looked in order as far as I can tell. I moved the forks around and they all slide well and I was able to find the correct neutral position. The old pawl arm in the selector had the wrong diameter boss (16mm) the new one is the correct 15mm diameter, so at least that was worthwhile to swap out.

After reassembling the selector, the mechanism seemed to be working fine. It clicks smoothly through all its positions. The neutral switch finds its hole in the back of the cog. When I reattach it to the gearbox, the shifting is not smooth. I can't get it to shift down into first at all. Well, I can, but only if I turn the wheel while I shift. Same goes for the upper gears: it stops between gears and won't budge unless I turn the rear wheel while actuating the shift lever. This is whether I hold in the clutch or not. So, if anything, it seems to be worse now: at least before I could get it down into first at a standstill. Now, it only shifts properly through all the gears when the back wheel is being spun while it's being shifted. (wheel lifted up off the ground with a paddock stand.)

The shift lever is clearing the porkchop on the downstroke and the swingarm on the upstroke, so it's not like it doesn't have proper clearance... I haven't messed with the acorn nut and nut sandwich which from what I've read is supposed to be some sort of adjuster... Not sure exactly what that does yet. I'm kind of at a loss , the only thing I can think of is to maybe take apart the pre-selector and put it back together again, but like I said above, when I actuate by hand separately it doesn't stop between positions, it seems to work pretty smoothly. If anyone has experienced this and figured out the solution, or has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to ride my baby again soon!

Thank you for your help,

-Simon

ok I'm a idiot. I didn't realize the input and/or output shaft needed to be moving for it to shift. which is why I thought it was broken when I couldn't get it to shift on the ground without the engine running. anyway, put it all back together and took her out on a test ride and everything is working great. my apologies, thanks for reading.

Back