Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

Should Guzzi compete in the King of Baggers?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by GTM®, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:31 AM.

1. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Just some fun conversation. The realization of doing this properly would be staggering in a cost perspective, and you can count on Guzzi never being part of it... But maybe a crowd-sourced project? A supercharged 1380cc Griso engine would get the needed power, and it could NOT be based on a MGX-21 frame. Gearing and wheels would be the major hurdle. What say you?

Rendering by Oberdan Bezzi:
    E849C1C1-D6C7-4709-A90A-419A6B4749B9.jpeg

Louisv97, subin and Adam Davis like this.
  2. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

That Looks awesome !
    - I thought the frame was one of the Original required components ( from what I heard in the Videos) but I didn’t read the “Rule book” !
    There needs to be a couple of wealthy benefactors behind this if MG won’t support it.

3. jwtucker

jwtucker V11 Sport 4 Life

I would be thrilled to see MG re-enter any form of competition where they can embarrass other manufacturers of anocrhonistic low-tech motors

__Jason

4. Mayakovski

Mayakovski High Miler GT Famiglia

Would love to see Todd build one and completely cream all the other bikes.

5. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I would love to see this go. How large could you take out a 1200 motor Todd? I think it could surprise a few people. A crowd funding of this could get enough interest.

Mayakovski likes this.
  6. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Just watched a bagger race and would love to see this project get off the ground. Cool thoughts.

7. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Well, the Indian motor is new tech, and they didn’t have to do too much to their motor to win.
    The Griso motor can go to 1440cc easily, and up to 1700cc with a ton of work and $. A supercharged 1380cc motor should make an easy 200+ rwhp. I’ll be finding out soon enough on my GTM build. Yes, the rules might be against this if it has to be the MGX-21 frame. If they allow a comparable model, any of the others are better suited. Right now, no one is sure if they’ll continue it as the race was more of a exhibition, but with all who stepped up, I’d have to imagine they’ll have another.
    A donor or crash salvage 1400 would kick this off; But again, it will take an easy $50k+ to build something worthwhile, and that’s using a ton of my time and resources.

groundhog105, Louisv97 and Mayakovski like this.
  8. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

If some Carbon Fiber fabrication shop would be willing to “contribute”the cases and faring.
    OLIN’s for suspension work, if several suppliers were willing to support the effort as a showcase of their wares in the hopes that the audience would look their way when making their next purchases ...
    All Running that around / contacting the suppliers is a job in itself.

There was a guy in our car club that had developed relationships with several vendors over the years.
    Those years of contact are what gave him the “ In” to get some of them to sponsor events, but it didn’t happen overnight.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    Louisv97 likes this.