Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Should this look like this ?

Discussion in 'Spine' started by bigpants, Nov 30, 2020.

1. bigpants

bigpants Just got it firing!

Hi everyone. I've noticed that my rear tyre on my 1100 sporti

20201128_125800.jpg

Does not look central with the rear shock and spine frame and on checking the wheel alignment the back is 9mm off. I cant rule out a twisted frame but just wondered , should the rear wheel centreline run straight through the shock lower mount as a guide or is the offset normal ?

2. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Send a private message to:

MedicAndy

He owns like 8 (yes, eight I think) 1110 Sports and is probably the most knowledgeable about that model on the site.

He will be able to tell you the answer.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Service manual page 108 shows swing arm centerline from top shock mount is 8mm from center of swing arm main cross(where pivot pins are located). On page 94 frame specs drivetrain is 8mm off center in frame. Nowhere does is say where center of rim is located. Loctite the bolt on rear drive that will back out into your rim and ruin it.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  4. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Tuned and Synch'ed

Looks like you are suffering a bit of cold tear there too

5. bigpants

Hmm . Looking at the pics in the book it looks like the centreline from the headstock runs straight down through top shock mount and to the lower shock mount so the tyres centreline should line up perfectly and the chassis side plates are 8mm offset. Still not sure though. Tbh I've gone over so many numbers and options in the last few days I think I've gone number blind. 20201202_112808.jpg 20201202_112824.jpg

6. scottmastrocinque

Did you ask MedicAndy like I told you?

He need only look at his collection to answer your question but more than likely he simply knows it in his head.

I swear sometimes....

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

Mayakovski likes this.
  7. bigpants

Hi Scott. Yup I've sent andy a message but full disclosure I was slow to do it.

8. scottmastrocinque

Good. I’m dead serious.

Nobody here will know more about that model than him. It’s his obsession.

This was when he had only 5 I think, or only when he left out duplicate colored ones.

24225BF8-EC75-44FA-B510-DDA55C885777.jpeg

9. bigpants

Jees. I've only got the one guzzi and that takes up most of my life. I am definitely doing something wrong.

Mayakovski likes this.
  10. bigpants

20201126_084816.jpg

Attached Files:

11. V700Steve

That's what I thought, center is top shock mount. BUT your bike has a cush drive wheel, could move it over a bit. They are different. I have both for my LM3 conversion, you can't cut the hub on cush drive wheel like I needed to do.

12. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

bigpants, that bike is definitely one of a kind.

13. bigpants

So I've just taken this dished washer out from behind the rhs spacer which has gained me quite a bit. I'm now 25mm one side 22 the other. I'm not sure of the implications of removing the washer but I'll hopefully get a test ride tomorrow. It also occurred to me that I could bring the RH sideplate out with judicious use of washers but now it's all beginning to sound bodged. 20201202_190802.jpg

14. scottmastrocinque

I wouldn’t do that. You are simply being reckless here as that washer serves 2 functions; spacing and component protection.

V700Steve likes this.
  15. V700Steve

That holds your needle bearing cage in for box rotation, I would leave it in place also. Make sure it is greased.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  16. bigpants

Ok , fair enough . Putting it back in . Always happy to told when I'm doing it wrong.

17. Bigbear

Bigbear Cruisin' Guzzisti

This is all very interesting,
    I do notice (with a bit of jealousy), our friend MedicAndy's picture indicate the front & rear bikes are non injected by looking at the diff's.
    Am I correct? The injected ones have the cush drive diff same as big pants & I think therein possibly lies the set-up difference?
    Got me wondering so will go & check the alignment of my carb'd 1100 Sport now.
    PS - scottmasrocinque has your collection has grown since we last posted?

18. scottmastrocinque

LOL. Good God I hope not. I have 8 and I think I need to get my head examined sometimes. There's a 2007 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja that's not listed but I'm going to be selling her in the Spring.

Trouble is, I'd love a new V85 TT. Resist...resist...resist the temptation!

Happy New Year to All!

David Bracey likes this.