• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sidestand issues

Gavin

2014 Custom given some custom treatment
GT di Razza Pura
Hello......it may just be me with my gammy feet (Scottish term for knackered) ...but I having issues deploying the side prop stand
It’s almost as if the leverage is wrong on the lever and it is bending and now bent.
It needs re engineered and or a constant companion to pull it down
I don’t have a constant companion who rides bikes and I am fed up trying to find a wall to lean it against!

Any input or ideas....2017 cali1400

Regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Hello Galvin,

Not the same bike but a victim of the same annoyance, with mine it wasn’t so much the geometry ( the arc of how it swing out from where its stowed position , but just getting at it !
I found it quite awkward to get my foot/toes on The piton ( Frenglish Canadian term ;) ) to swing out the stand as it was tucked under the exhaust...

Everything was much improved when I swapped out the stock exhaust for a set it GTM pipes !
The look, the sound and ease with which I can deploy the side stand.

Don

Yes.....it is the getting at at.......I have the GTM exhaust but even so, the hook with which you push down is now bent.

I am in need of re fashioning it with a better profile welded on

Not sure what is going on with the sidestand, but something sounds very wrong. Not sure if it just needs the pin lubricated, or if something is bent. My stand deploys with very little effort, and springs into place both up and down. Here are some photos of how the mount and such should look. Both the sidestand and the mount plate on the frame are replaceable.

20211223 161212 20211223 161232

So, what's your issue? The sound it makes?
I have no problems with mine, I was referring to the thread originator's description. I attached the photos for a reference, since finding another California to compare with may be difficult.

Yes....I agree....a picture or two may be needed.

I will post soon ...but in the meantime...it is not the sound? ...but the inability to hook the sidestand whilst on the bike....and if you do manage to catch it...you can’t get enough on it to swing it down.

I’ll let the picture do the explaining.....anyway....I have drawn up a plate to assist....which should I hope help

I’ll keep you updated

Thanks
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Not sure if you can see this....but the paint has been flaked off where the stand hook or tab has been bent forward.

Just for the record the bike is a California 2017 with Audace foot controls fitted rather than the foot boards of the C14

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hhmmm...I dont know how it happened but after looking at other stands the hook/tab has been bent....forward and downwards....I eased it back into position but the metal loop is now soft it will either bend or break.....hence a new section has to be made and attactched..

This may have been done when shipping the bike to me ......but it was almost impossible to deploy the stand when on the bike....added to which I think the bike may have been strapped down in this position ....causing the whole
Side stand assembly to become very tight......very tight

I have stripped this back....re lubricated the pivot pin and reassembled.......a lot better ....but still needs extra strengthening or support to stop the hoop breaking or bending again

I will post the modification when complete.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
So those two places where the paint is gone, is where it was “Bent out of shape”

I find, I always figure out the issue when I have to get the details to explain it to someone :p

Mine bent to the point where I had to bend over to swing out. I ended up removing it bending it back and welding two 1/4x20 bolts along the bottom of the loop. That gave it strength to keep it from bending until breaking and had the added bonus of the bolt heads at the end for grip on my boots.

This is eaxctly what happened to mine. The bend on the sidestand loop and my damaged ankles made it very difficult to 'catch' the sidestand whilst on the bike.

I was fed up, getting off the bike and gingerly holding it whilst pulling out the sidestand with one hand....I resembled an old woman looking for a seat at a packed wedding...not really looking in control of my situation....something had to change.

This thing is way.... too heavy to lean against a wall!

So......I fashioned two 8mm alloy plates ...(one longer than the other by 30mm) made a cut, bent the longer plate at an 25 degree angle and welded ...before sandwiching the offending loop between the 2 alloy plates....all secured with M6 and nylocs.

I might make something more permanent ...but......I wanted to prove it works, for me anyway.

I am still toying with the idea of moving the sidestand position ...but that might be a job too far...and certainly not this year.

Anyway.....I hope that this may help some poor soul out there.

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
DeadEye…it might look sharp but all sides have been on the linisher belt….so not so sharp…honestly
Unlike my ‘not so sharp to look at‘ spray painting of it….it’s the paint that makes it look rough….
next time I’ll chamfer the edges and powder coat.

Its good to be kept on your toes……as the Russian ballerina said,

take care

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Right…..I managed a bit of time to machine something from mild steel plate which replaces the bolted alloy plate …..used just to prove the idea works.

I made a wee bit of a feature of the bolt holes and threads ….the threaded section sits proud to enable enough thread to eliminate the need for nuts on the other side….and it’s been chemically blacked to help resist any corrosion issues

0005BD79 F8B7 4480 9E34 3CF1CADCCD4E 597A93E4 2AE2 4DE8 8C06 BD46CC70A9FB 9EF01B82 6425 4FDE AFDF 0E131B5411E3

Last edited:
So…you can see…that even with my uneven and crash damaged feet can activate the side stand whilst on the bike.

Hooray……no more asking strangers to hold my bike….got a few strange looks with that one!

No more precariously balancing, bike, feet and hands ….likel a plate spinning clown at the circus.
.and all done from the comfort of my seat….so to speak

Its slowly becoming the California I always wanted….just need to move the footpeg back a bit more

I have already had some plates later cut to allow OEM fittings…..so that will be done after summer…but in the meantime changes include

GTM full long California 1400 polished exhaust
Airbox elimination and POD filter set up
GTM handlebar risers.
SAS pump removal and block off conversion.
Fuel software upgrade and monitoring system
GTM LED driving light conversion
Matris front and rear suspension
Audace foot peg conversions and associated linkage modifications
Reduction of 120 mm in Screen height from barn door to caravan door
Gel and re engineered seat by ELSE allowing fuel to rum out before feeling does in the buttocks area
Removal of OEM backrest and replacement with seat chrome framework
Removal of OEM two tone fuel tank side panels replaced with a set colour matched ones.
Blacked injector covers rather than the polished units

Basically trying to get the look and feel of the first generation California T3 style from a 2017 California 1400 SE

thanks

Gavin.
The Scottish Engineer 7C7ABA38 F720 439A A29F D6D6BDE4A091

Last edited:
Back