• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Silly rear wheel spline grease question

David Griffiths

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have been able to remove my back wheel thanks to the previous instructional posts. Of course the spline needs re-greasing, my question is what is the right grease to use considering the 2 rubber o rings.

Thanks Dave

20200627 160005 20200627 155842

I use boat trailer bearing grease, it doesn't wash off. Won't bother orings.

I'd think carefully. Nothing comes for nothing. Boat (trailer) grease works better inundated with water but it lubricates less well. It's a trade-off thing. Consider which offers more value - riding with the axle under water, or riding over 60mph. You'll likely "get away" with using underwater grease but do you need to take a risk?

Tony

I'd think carefully. Nothing comes for nothing. Boat (trailer) grease works better inundated with water but it lubricates less well. It's a trade-off thing. Consider which offers more value - riding with the axle under water, or riding over 60mph. You'll likely "get away" with using underwater grease but do you need to take a risk?

Tony
Have to ask, but what evidence is there that Marine grease lubes less well when dry?. It's used extensively on trailers for boats that get towed on roads between lakes etc with no adverse effects and a big Dodge Ram towing a huge speed boat powered past me at 80+ mph on the highway last year and it didn't seem to be slowing him down (or lead to his bearings exploding) - just interested if you have a source for that comment

Would the grease made knowing it will be submerged have some water dispersant added to it ?
Does “regular” grease dissolve in water ( I know it won’t Disolve but might water mix with it .) or have some reactions to Salt where marine grease might be formulated to deal with conditions where it comes in contact with water ?

Your not looking for Roller/ball bearing protection ?
Might there be some silicone *stuff* that might be better for use with rubber vs. bearings ?

The spline doesn't slide under load, it just transmits the drive. A thin coat of any grease to prevent rust will be fine.
Stephen

After doing some searching some recommendations were to use an assembly great/paste , but if you continue searching it comes full circle, moly 60( whatever that is) and lithium grease come up ...

Have to ask, but what evidence is there that Marine grease lubes less well when dry?

Paul, my apologies for slow reply, I was fitting new curtain rods all yesterday!

I don't have the primary source any more, I looked into this for suspension linkages Spring 19 and cannot recall the details which is why you should be cautious and check. I concluded the most wet environment was the inside of a car or truck wheelarch so we might ask what axle grease is the passing F150 using?

Whatever you choose, this website makes an interesting point that the worst you can do is mix the grease chemistries so remove all traces of lithium grease before applying
underwater trailer grease:.
popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a2948/choosing-the-correct-grease/

Tony

Back