• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Site Owner Todd's Bio

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
For anyone that cares to know a brief history of myself, Todd, the owner of this website and GTM.

I'm the third generation rider and racer of my family. Both of my parents only recently retired from riding. My grandfather below, was a hill-climb and dirt-track racer, commercial electrician, machinist and engine builder/mechanic.

My grandfather Bill Balsis:
c1936 HD

6242814E F454 485A BA54 4EFB569BAAE8

c1951 on his Vincent Black Shadow:
0A0BC0DA 9E06 4092 9C12 56AF40EE9271

My Dad & Mom:
IMG 3110
9A743D14 8527 4C54 B568 AF14AB03DF68

My addiction apparently started when I was still in diapers, as my parents told me my grandfather would disappear with me out to the garage the second I was carried into the house, where he rode me around on the gas tank of his R50/2. When he returned, my parents say I screamed when they removed me from the bike, only stopping when they put me back on. I still recall holding onto the crossbar on his handlebars on the BMW (photo) below. I also vividly remember the very first ride sitting on the seat behind him.

c1967 on his /2 at a slow ride competition with the Baltimore Ramblers, which he was a co-founder of.
BB BMW

I spent my formidable youth in his garage. I was a tinkerer as kid, doing everything my Grandfather allowed me to help him with (and likely far more I shouldn’t have touched). I was taught to ride at the age of four by way of a work/trade negotiation by my grandfather via a neighbor who was a dirt-track racer, along with his son (one year older than I). They got me into dirt-track racing at the age of eight, and I won one indoor many outdoor class Championships.

IMG 0477
IMG 0479
IMG 0937

My grandfather unfortunately passed away when I was just ten years old. I spent my pre-teen and teen youth in the dirt, muddy woods and farm/fire road riding in and around the Mid-Atlantic region, along with having fun on the frozen Chesapeake Bay tributaries in the Winter, which involved sheet metal screws and learning all about cold-seizing two-stroke motors.

After my grandfather passed, I began truly working on my own motorcycles via "sponsorship" of a local Yamaha dealership and racing owner & son, of which their 'race room' housed one of the best builder/tuners in the country; Gary Nixon's dirt-track & road-race engine/bike builder. Under his guidance, I raced, wrenched and built my own dirt track engines (turning Pro at 16 yrs old) and then went on to road race for almost 10 years, 8 years professionally, earning a single digit national # with no sponsors.

From 16 years old, I surpassed one million street miles before I was 25 years old. Of which, while just starting in college, I became a self-employed residential home designer and builder starting at the age of 19~20, which quickly segue-way'ed into becoming a residential Architect on multi-million dollar East and West coastal homes.

Having owned at least one of most every brand outside of older vintage machines, I finally found my way to owning a Guzzi after having ridden many in the 90s. My very first was a green frame 1000S at a Rider Magazine Rally in Pittsburgh PA in '93. I went to see and hopefully ride the Dr. John Daytona 1000; It was pedestaled with ropes around it, so didn’t happen. There, I did meet and am still friends with the National Sales Manger John Stoddart, of whom I later worked briefly for with MZ Motorcycles short-lived relaunch with the MZ1000.

I’ve now been nostrils deep in Guzzis since '99 when I bought my first (brand new) Jackal, which is a fun story unto itself. I rode it a total of 264k miles (40k of which was track time as an instructor, of my own track school), before transforming it into a GTM build on it's 20th Anniversary. To date I have personally owned well over 50+ Guzzis, collectively totaling well over a half-million plus miles on them alone, not including any of my GTM Builds. I've also successfully raced a ultra-rare factory Guzzi '49 Dondolino race-bike in AHRMA, and got to put some track time in on a MGS-01 (both photo captured below in my signature).

I'm still a professional rider for OEMs and media sources, and have piloted many pre-production machines and was the only one to ride Indian's Spirit of Munro for their short movie found HERE. Behind the scenes below.

I've also been well paid for my R&D input, skills and riding abilities including my good friends at Arch Motorcycles (me in center of Gard on left, and Keanu of course).

A8E615FB CA6E 4DA3 A6CE 539AD9000B2F

I assisted as a Cycle World Magazine Associate Editor/Tester from c2000~2007, during of which I was the Series Manager of the AMA Pro Racing SuperMoto Series ‘03~06.
Add to that I was a MGNOC Rep for many years, in two opposite successive coast states, threw numerous small events, a National Rally, and have offered free endless support help here online and in person since late '99. And the list can go on and on from there.

Creating this website in 2001, and digging deep into Guzzi performance and fueling, I turned fully to it in 2007, and finally opened a Guzzi workshop in 2015 because working from home got too overwhelming. This was in addition to the Guzzi rental business launched in 2014. I’ve likely personally purchased and maintained more new Guzzis than anyone in the Western U.S.
My shop, GTMotoCycles.com handles full service, fabrication and tons more. I fix all of the bikes that the dealers can’t, screw up and/or blame the owners for, and we are proactive in what we know goes wrong, all for far less $. For many years now, I've been building custom frame up bikes, and very successfully building big bore motors, both small and big blocks, including Supercharged and nitrous builds.

This broadly summarizes a small handful of my moto resume, and is posted as a general rebuttal to the Penis Rotor AssHat thread HERE.

A short resume. Spent a career working as an engineer in high tech automated manufacturing. Mainly equipment related. As in figuring out how to make said equipment run better/longer/cheaper with less downtime, sometimes using a mill and lathe to make prototype parts. I can do component level electronic troubleshooting. I’ve done a little CAD. Been riding and wrenching on bikes and cars for 45 years. I have never taken a motorcycle to a dealer for anything other than a mandated first service once. I change my own tires. Cars, I sometimes pay for things I don’t have the proper equipment to do, like replacing a clutch on my truck. Without a lift and transmission jack, it’s more than I care to wrestle with.

I sometimes get a bit peevish with people that think all the motorcycle factories hire idiots for engineers. I had a long enough career to know that idiots sometimes get engineering jobs. I also know that incompetent engineers tend to get shuffled into places where consumers rarely see their mistakes. Most people underestimate the complexity of everything. A writer I like once wrote that everything looks simple when you don’t know a ****ing thing about it. This is mostly true. A simple thing like a torque spec for a fastener is the result of calculations involving material properties like thermal expansion rates, elasticity, and yield strength along with vibration analysis. I was on a Yamaha FJR1300 forum and folks were talking about the rather high torque spec for the oil drain plug. The consensus was to use less than half because someone had stripped his crankcase using the correct spec. I bet he was using a wrench that was way off. I said it sounded like a decent idea but If I was going to undertorque my drain plug, I was going to safety wire it, and I did, because I didn’t know why the Yamaha engineer set it that high and him or her being stupid was an assumption I wasn’t willing to make. An uproar ensued. I guess people didn’t like me making them nervous.

Last edited:
What a great read. Thanks for posting. So many things to relate to as one who is touched by this passion for motorcycles.

Todd, very impressive, a great read
You are clearly a very talented fella.
I don't know where you find the time to run the forum as well.

Damn, Todd! That's impressive to the Moon and back! Congratulations! Too bad for us, the folks living in Europe that we don't have such a dedicated Guzzi mechanic here.

Cheers!

Back