• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Small Block replacement

RJVB wrote:
No time to go dig up the image, but what if they went with something else already in the house, the 3-cylinder transverse, erm, W ?
3-cylinder engines are mighty fashionable I have the impression.

And that does remind me of another design that would seem logical to put in transversely, but is completely different: Wankel. I've always been attracted to the design. Thoughts?

Seriously; are you talking about this pre-war engine?

DSC00129.jpg

Edit; Ahh! Not!
Know which one. Don't think it's "in-house" any more - if it actually ever was.

How's bout a modern V8? Actually, what I'd like to see is a chain drive flat single exposed flywheel retro styled bike like the Falcone. Now that would earn the moniker "classic".

RJVB wrote:
No time to go dig up the image, but what if they went with something else already in the house, the 3-cylinder transverse, erm, W ?

And that does remind me of another design that would seem logical to put in transversely, but is completely different: Wankel. I've always been attracted to the design. Thoughts?

Somebody did a Wankel engine years ago, but I can't remember who...

Found it!
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=39

White_DSC4170_LZ_600.jpg

uummm would any of you guys actually buy a 'modern' V8 if anyone built it? I smell a character and soulless motorcycle coming. I guess I like tradition too much when it comes to some things. When I used to ride many moons ago, I used to find it unsettling not having the flavour of the month. This time round I was determined that wasn't going to be the case, and after looking at alot of bikes ( Harley, Ducati, KTM, BMW and even the New Triumphs.) I walked into aGuzzi dealer and there it was. History, style, function the whole ball of wax.

Moto Fugazzi wrote:
Screw the V8!
Here's a V48 that I could get behind!
All's good until that first corner, then good luck. ;)

FBC, depending on how a small V8 made power, I might bite if Guzzi made one. These days I'm not much interested in a high-rev'ing, top-end-only powerband... though the thought of a F1 sounding bike sounds pretty cool.

You ever ridden the Triumph Rocket III? That's a giggle machine.

That Aprillia engine looks like something that fell off Terminator.
Ugly!!
I do not care about the Hp, At least the Guzzi has an engine, that looks like an engine.
Have Fun & Ride Safe

RJVB wrote:
Talking about the CX engine, here's another idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nmsi/2547479311/

Hmmm.
Yes the one which came to my thoughts too.

Wonder how to outbalance a motor like that!
Wankels might be hard to adapt to environment demands. Also I remember severe problems with the "piston rings" to keep tight as well as very high fuel consumption.

Re:BB1

Well, but it's good if there's something for every taste, no? Remember, this thread is about a smaller engine that makes about 80hp, no need to crank it up that much farther ;)

Easily and higher revving with a smaller displacement also means less torque down low, indeed - but that's probably better for commuting in urban areas.

Holt wrote:
Wonder how to outbalance a motor like that!
Not as bad as one might think. I've ridden one of these, and it's pretty impressive (Fueling W3):

W3-Feuling-b.jpg

W3-Feuling.jpg

RJVB wrote:

I love both ideas. I doubt either would/will happen. But while I like where Guzzi is at and identify it with the transverse v-twin, I would happily except either of those two as a Guzzi. I do hope we don't see an Aprilia motor as a Guzzi. I would not mind if they went to Rotax for help designing a motor as long as it was an outside the box motor like Guzzis are now. I don't want to see a Ducati or Aprilia style twin or a inline four. A transverse v four, a wankel, a triple (w or not), even a parallel twin with a transverse crank, would all be fine.

RacerX wrote:
Not as bad as one might think. I've ridden one of these, and it's pretty impressive (Fueling W3):

W3-Feuling-b.jpg

W3-Feuling.jpg

That's some pretty esoteric sh!t there, Todd! Most Harley nuts have never even here of Jim Fueling's W3 project, let alone those outside the pigpen! Very cool that you've gotten to ride it...

Let's face it, the only reason a Guzzi has cylinders sticking out the side is because that's the best way to get cooling air to them; if Guzzi transitions to a w/c mill, then there is no longer any reason to screw around with parts placement difficulties [airbox, intake manifolds, etc] that compromise power potential, no need for a lot of the infrastructure of what has evolved to be "Guzzi cannon." Please remember, that during their 1st 4 decades of operation, Guzzi was the most innovative & experimental of motorcycle manufacturers, not tied to any one engine configuration. The Guzzi big block as we know it is an aberration only introduced after Carlo Guzzi had passed on & the company fell into the hands of "suits." I for one would be thrilled if a group of engineers at Piaggio were given a whiteboard & some markers & told to go at it for a new Guzzi design not tied to anything the company currently had in production! Who knows what might result?

Would I consider such a new departure to be any less a Guzzi? No, I'm not one of the Harley "faithful" who cannot accept the V-Rod because it's water-cooled and actually performs well. Would I immediately sell my big block to jump on the new model bandwagon? No, 'cause the V11 does what I need it to & flat out works for me. I'll admit, I was waiting for the new QV engine to hit the streets with great curiosity & a sense of "what took'em so long?" but I'm not in a rush to go out & upgrade for the simple reason that they cost a bunch more than what I've got into my spiney, and have yet to produce a model that looks as good as my Lemans with a seat a passenger can endure [the Griso is wonderfully styled, but I don't know any <20y.o. bimbos who want to perch on that miniscule bit of vinyl behind this DOM, and women of more advanced years look at the seat & just laugh!]

Back