• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Smitten

Thumper

Just got it firing!
Hi Guys, from sunny West Wales !!!!!!!!
After a test ride back in September on a Grisso 1100 i`m still smitten. I have been thinking about buying one for about 2 years and now find i can afford a new bike this Spring. I plan to use the bike daily for a short commute and at weekends for longer trips. Will the Guzzi be upto the daily commute, with regards to reliability? I `d be very interested if there is someone that uses there Grisso for commuting, and any advice would help. I normally do about 6000 miles a year in all weathers.

Regds, Thumper

Hi from not so sunny East Wales!
I've done 6000 miles a year on my Griso 1100 for 3 years in all weathers & no serious problems......just annoying niggles like the speedo sensor not liking the wet & tempermental oil pressure sensor. Both warranty issues & now sorted. Worst thing I've had happen was on a wet galvanised cattle grid in the Brecon Beacons but that was hardly the Griso's fault. Bit of a bugger that the warranty on my self-estimation had run out. My mates were at hand to pick me up & now remind me whenever we go over a grid.
I haven't commuted on it & I guess it might not be the best ride for heavy city traffic, but I guess you'd be hard pushed to find much of that in West Wales!
Two bits of advice. The new 1200 8v *might* have serious top end problems as you will see from the posts on here. Secondly the nearest dealer to you might not have the best reputation. It might be worth yor while travelling further afield to someone with a longer experience of Guzzis.

You may be a bit disappointed if you are using your Griso for commuting in a city. Where I live in the U.S., there are stoplights everywhere and the bike can get a bit annoying. My Griso loves to run and keeping it under 40 mph is a challenge. I can't wait to get it out into the country and stretch it's legs.

If I can paraphrase some biker wisdom- "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast rather than a fast bike slow". This is definitely the case with the Griso.

S-O-S

Thanks for the info, its a 1100 i shall be buying and your right, i shall be picking the bike up from Strefords as this was the only dealer i could find for a test ride. I found them very helpfull.
The only reason i asked about commuting is it`s only short journey and you read of people having issues with a new bike. As you said i will not be commuting in any heavy traffic in West Wales so i guess thats a plus! I have always used a bike for work, it`s the only way i can stay sane before and after it!!!

Regds, Thumper

If you buy an '06 make sure that the CARC recall work has been done IF it is eligible for it. Other than that? Just ride it. Mine was bulletproof and in the 25,000 odd miles I had it only had two problems, neither of which I would call major.

As for commuting? I used to despatch ride in London on an SP1000 in the 1980's, a commute in Wales is not going to faze a Griso. Having said that if the commute is under ten miles I'd leave the Griso at home and get a shitty little Honda step thru for the commute. Not only are they dirt cheap to run and insure but the wreckers are full of broken ones so parts cost nothing and their tyres are so crappy that you can 2 wheel drift 'em round roundabouts using the leg-shields like Rossi uses his knees! More fun than a wife-beater full of weasels and all at less than 30MPH!!!!

Pete

Pete, just out of curiosity ... the "my carc shat itself" issue wasn't a major problem?

(in hindsight, most problems become less major once solved ;) )

Took less than 2 hours to fix and the bearing cost me about $150. No, I'd call that fairly minor. Torching the big ends and needing a new crank? That's major. Having the steering head snap off. Thats major.

Pete

How much time did it take to document the whole thing over on WG then? ;)

Back