RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Smoke from Under Heat Shield

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Eldo1400, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've had my Eldorado in storage for about 9 months (family issues on East Coast, travel). I went to fire it up today. Stinky exhaust (eye-watering, like way rich), then smoke coming from under the exhaust heat shield on the "driver's side", right near where the footboard is.

Had no time or tools. Is that about where the O2 sensor plugs in? Was thinking maybe the wire was burning or something.

Otherwise the bike fired up on second hit and ran fine. Have any of you had a 1400 in storage long-term? Any specific issues to look for? I treated the gas a few times but other than that it's just been sitting. Do injectors get stuck, do fuel filters clog, air box issues etc etc???? It's been stored inside under a cover, temp controlled, don't see any insect nests or anything like that.

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I've stored Cali 1400 Customs for long periods, at least as long as you have.

"Driver's side" will depend on which country you drive a car on, but the left exhaust might have collected a bit of oil seeping from somewhere.

I'd just ride it! :party:

Eldo1400 likes this.
  3. Eldo1400

Wrote in haste, sorry. Meant the right side. (don't know why I said driver's side anyway lol).

I was thinking of just riding but thought, 'better see if there are any issues to sort out first'. I've actually never stored an FI bike, only carb bikes. Never stored anything in the ethanol era, either.

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I never had any trouble storing bikes with E10 fuel in California. There was a period when Guzzi didn't use fuel rated rubber hose for the internal fuel pump, but I would guess this shouldn't happen in enlightened times.

More than likely something has made its way onto the pipes when in storage. You should be able to see some residue after it had burnt off. Clean it up, and watch for it to reappear?

Eldo1400 likes this.
  5. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti

+1 to that. Only time I've seen smoke on my Audace is when I've adjusted valves and not correctly tightened the 4 bolts on the head cover. After a few minutes of warming up time, oil then leaked past the seal and dropped right onto exhaust - much to the amusement of other drivers as we sat at lights together - I could almost hear them laughing out loud "Italian - what do you expect"

Eldo1400 likes this.
  6. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Could have been an exhaust leak being a Cal14 and not smoked from outside. Just an idea.

Eldo1400 likes this.
  7. Eldo1400

"More than likely something has made its way onto the pipes when in storage. You should be able to see some residue after it had burnt off. Clean it up, and watch for it to reappear?"

Could be. The smoke was on the outside, though. No smoke from the inside. The bike ran great, so I'm sure I'm being a weenie here.

Guys I should be more precise: it was like a little volcano from under the heat shield, as if there was something burning underneath it.

If you guys haven't run into problems storing these bikes with gasahol, then I will just take it for a long ride, bringing my AAA card and a fully charged phone lol. (I did treat the gas twice, so hopefully there's not crud at the bottom of the tank.)

8. Eldo1400

It was a bit slow turning over at first, but it started right up. Didn't make too much noise. Once warmed up, the engine revved freely to 3 or so without breaking up. I ran it for a good 20 minutes so if gas was bad or something was leaking I'd think the smoke would have gotten worse.

9. Eldo1400

Follow up:

Short answer, if you store the bike but touch up with finishing solution be careful not to spray directly on the heat shields because it you're not riding it the stuff accumulates and forms a flammable gunk. Ha ha.

So, I finally pulled the shield and that's what I found. The reason the bike ran fine is because nothing was wrong with it. I had been pulling the cover and touching up. For some reason it gets really dusty despite my (quite good) cover from my former Harley Road King in use.