• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

snapping forks

Had my replacement fork fitted today.

Guzzi must have listened as the design has changed slightly.
The 2x M6 Shouldered hex bolts are changed to M6 Set Screws resulting in less material being removed for the heads of the fasteners.

Wait and see what happens.

Hi,

Washing my Stelvio the other day I noticed my right fork mount has snapped at the pinch bolt area. This is probably a stupid question but I will ask anyway. Is the bike not to be ridden at all in this state? I was just wondering of it is completely unsafe to ride now until this is fixed or will the rest of the fasteners on the front end keep it in place until I can get my warranty claim processed?

By the way the bike has ~3000 miles on it and the front wheel has never been off to my knowledge.

P1040713.jpg

Well I guess I sorta answered my own question on this. I started looking back at older pics of the bike and found one from September that clearly shows the cracked pinch bolt/clamp area back then. So that means it has been to Barber Motorsports museum in Alabama and back as well as a lot of riding in between on the broken pinch bolt clamp area. I would guess probably 1500-1800 miles on that broken clamp.

I rode mine for around 500 miles before the replacement was fitted.

I nipped up the bolts so it didn't vibrate loose and took it easy, checked both legs daily.

I heard back from my dealer on the snapped fork clamp issue today. They told me that their contact in Italy did not consider it be a warranty issue. However, Guzzi USA is going to take care of it for me. Strange.

Chris, that's great news... all things considered. I was going to say, based on what I'm seeing, I personally wouldn't be afraid to ride on it. Even *IF* it cracked through completely, it's not going any where, and unless you're doing some serious off-roading, should be no big problem. Keep us posted.

My Local dealer had problems getting my fork approved even though I had only covered 2000 miles.
They had to wait for the UK piaggio boss visit to get him to pass it.

Guzzi know there is a problem otherwise why would they have changed the design?

Am dropping my Stelvio off tomorrow. Part should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. Guzzi sent the wrong part last week so had to resend the right one (I hope!)

Forked fixed! Yay! The fellas at Scooter Superstore Daytona got the part in and replaced it on my Stelvio and I pick her up today! They told me that the right side axle bolt was on so tight they had to use and air wrench to get it off. Anyway, it is all back together and perfect once again. I can't say enough about how well Scooter Superstore has treated me and I did not even buy the bike there. Thanks fellas!

P1040832.jpg

Hi Gang

Oh Shit my offside fork has snapped :twisted:

Had the 12,000 mile service done 5 weeks ago, asked them to check out the near side down pipe gasket to the collector box.

''Its all fine, tightened the gasket and replaced the head bearings''

The following day the gasket blew out, what a noise it makes. Phoned them, New gasket on order, still waiting.

Anyway I have only been out a few times cause of the snow and ice, long ride yesterday in the sun.

Washed the bike today noticed there was a small crack where the front spindle pinch bolts are :twisted:

''Never seen that before'' the techie said

I left the bike with them!

Loftyjohn

Ps. the bike had been behaving well lately

Chalk another one up here in SoCal to fall victim to this. When replacing tires on our friend Vito's Stelvio, I found the pinch bolts were loose. Upon closer inspection, voilà - cracked. Right side fork.

I've yet to hear about this for continental-EU bikes, fortunately, I must say...

Any news on how Piaggio's attitude wrt. warranty on this has evolved? Still covered only if the bolts have not been touched, or exclusively by a Guzzi dealer?

Vito's was verbally approved for replacement by Piaggio Tech USA after a conversation with them. They will be replacing both fork legs. It is not done yet however, so I'll have him post when it is.

Have been looking at mine and they are fine but this does appear to be a weak spot. In reading the manual I think the right torque spec is 10 NM. Would someone please confirm that. Have these been knowen to just break from riding the bike and hitting pot holes or is the most likely cause incorrect torque being applied to the bolts? Has made me go out and buy an inch lb. torque wrench. Is the fix complete fork tube replacement or can the bottom black piece be replaced on it's own?

I just learned about a handy rule of thumb: without more precise information, the max. fastening torque for a bolt in Nm is the same as its diameter in mm.

Because this is a area of concern I would feel alot better with a factory torque spec than a rule of thumb.

Sure. But if that rule has any meaning, it's also a basis to judge whether those factory specs are reasonable (or the result of some Luigi's typo...)

Not sure that rule of thumb applies to all sizes and grades of hardware and the various materials they are used on. For some situations it may be fine, but in leiu of a published spec stating that "rule" can be used, I would agree with Bill. I have a good feel for snugging things down, but I still still use a small torque wrench as it is too easy to ham fist many small components. BTW, paint mark alignments will get you very close in a pinch too.

Safe travels!

Back